Trader Joes Overrated?

I actually enjoy La Burgondie Crémant Brut that’s about 12$ at TJs. Pretty decent QPR and enjoyment especially when compared to Truly or White Claw.

This is by far the most important comment in this thread. Same reason I picked up Sam Adam’s Octoberfest at Walmart this morning.

Also good at TJ’s:

• Trentatre Rosso (Cab/Merlot/Montpulciano blend)
  • Lazy Bones Cab Franc (Paso Robles)

I use the white Vermouth for cooking purposes and also as a cocktail mixer. Maybe not the greatest quality but hard to beat for $4 per liter.

Never bought a thing from them. I have enough wine shops in Minneapolis that get closeouts on great wines.

Every time I drive by TJ’s here in SC there is a line stretching into the parking lot. I don’t get it.

Most people don’t really put time into researching wine and really don’t care as long as they are drinking a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or red that says California. It would be like me buying a computer. I would just go to Best Buy with a price in mind and hope it works well.

Any BriTwit that wants to put a bottle of Chambertin in the pot is welcome to do so. Fortunately, except for Liz Wettin, very few BriTwits can afford to do so and that number will decline rapidly once Brexit bites.

Dan Kravitz

"And . . . they show up on the CC statement as Trader Joe’s, not Hi Time or Wine Exchange.

[/quote]

This is by far the most important comment in this thread.

[dontknow.gif]

Sorry, I do not understand this. Why does it matter what shows up on the Credit Card?

Dan Kravitz

Tom, you posted in an earlier thread about finding Dry Creek Vineyards Chenin Blanc at TJ’s and I went and found one at my local for about $11. It was really good so there are hidden gems to be found. Thanks for the tip.

This is by far the most important comment in this thread.

[dontknow.gif]

Sorry, I do not understand this. Why does it matter what shows up on the Credit Card?

Dan Kravitz
[/quote]

Our wives have shared access to our credit card statements.

If you’re going to spend $20+, I’d look elsewhere. Most of their cheap wines are just that, but there are a few bright spots. At $8, Honeymoon Viognier is very drinkable and a decent food wine. I’ve bought it to many parties and never had anyone scoff at it. We go through cases of it every Summer. Also the Lazy Bones Cab Franc at $9.49 is about as a good a red as you can find at that price point. It’s great with pasta and pizza.

And Costco in Ohio doesn’t have a very exciting wine selection. Their cheap wines are no better than Krogers.

I Know this a fairly common statement but I’m quite the opposite. I’m not cooking with wine I’d much rather be drinking. I’d love to see a double blind of dishes cooked with Trader Joe’s vs grand Cru. Assuming no faults I can’t imagine why there would be any noticeable difference. I wonder what kind of wine the great chefs of the world really use?

I cook with premoxed white burgundy premier and grand cru from great years. I’d be surprised at anyone who could tell that from not premox or not Bourgogne. Especially in the dishes that came to mind (shellfish).

it would be fun to test it out if there are folks who claim to be that discerning.

some are worried about wine being too hot in transit because it won’t keep until they can cook with it?

You can definitely tell when cooking with fino sherry. The oxidative flavors do come through

As I said , it would be a fun tasteoff.

What would be the best dish to judge? If you could get top quality, I’d say something like clams in white wine (Manila clams perhaps). But I love clams.

Our wives have shared access to our credit card statements.
[/quote]

OK, got it.

Sally and I can look at each other’s credit card statements but never do (we also have one card we both use). I don’t even know how many orders of magnitude more she spends on fabric and garden stuff than I do on wine champagne.gif (or vice-versa) neener

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

I also go through tons of their blanc vermouth. It’s perfect for making risotto etc. And for my tastes, vermouth packs a whole lot more ‘wine’ punch for things like that than a random bottle of Loire or CA Chard.

As we often say in Madras, happy is the man who can earn money faster than his wife can spend it. Yet, in a karmic twist of fate, happier is the wife to have found said husband.

(among my people marriage is a term limited contract, only 100 years)

I like TJs for their unique products. Love the frozen croissants you bake yourself. I occasionally look for a good value wine, but I’m usually disappointed. Our Costco in Dayton isn’t much better. But TJs does a have a few gems. The Lazy Bones Cab Franc is about the best bottle of red wine I’ve had for <$10. And the Honeymoon Viognier is a nice Summer drinker and a decent food wine for $8.
FWIW, they have been one the best retailers in the Covid era. They limit the total number in the store and give you a sanitized cart when you walk in.

I think every grocery store I have been in sanitizes the cart and limits folks as well as having directional aisles.
I have a hard time liking TJ’s since I got food poisoning from their prepared chicken and discovered they sell past expiration date food.

1 Like