Travel insurance

Update… after repeatedly checking my AIG claim status online, and always seeing that “document not received” message, and sending emails daily to them, they assigned me to a new agent who now lists all of my required docs as received. Fingers crossed.

My wife just got a check for when she couldn’t go to Spain with her high school buddies because I broke my ankle (requiring surgery). It took a while and it was a pain but it worked well.

She was not amused. Mostly because I put it off for two weeks. Had I gone to the dr immediately she might have been able to go.

Update 2, AIG cut a check today.

Amex Platinum offers pretty decent coverage automatically for cardholders:

Certain categories of coverage by select credit cards can be very good for shorter trips. I was unable to find the covered trip lengths for Amex Platinum coverages even after reading the terms and conditions. My primary concern with any trip is medical evacuation if necessary. That can be very expensive. My Chase Sapphire card covers trips between 5 - 60 days. That is too short for some of our trips so we have to look elsewhere for coverage. So read the terms and conditions carefully before you rely on a particular benefit. We all know where the Devil lives.

Check has been deposited. Just in time to be shelled out for the 17-y.o. wall oven that died.

Send that off on a Coronavirus cruise.

The insurance game is stacked in my opinion. We “won” grand prize from travel company at charity event and scheduled a first time cruise (not sure we were cruise people). Got insurance because of sick elderly parent and when cruise got cancelled—the insurance only gave us a future voucher. Granted they were no longer insuring anything (common law) but try they did. Multiple calls were useless, and about ready to do small claims, and our agent got our money back. Now if we could just get our money back on the cruise!
Another friend went to New Zealand with insurance because he was 80 years old, and he got pneumonia while in remote south island location visiting daughter. Saw a local hospital and got note verifying and suggesting return home. Unfortunately, it was from a nurse practitioner, and the only “acceptible” doctor was in Auckland. He flew home without any insurance compensation. I’m convinced DO NOT GET Insurance for anything you can pay for in worst case scenario—especially when the market has low returns.

For the Covid-19 world.

Every time we travel, I agonize over whether or not to buy trip insurance. Most of our trips are long and compared to the examples in the article, much more costly. With premiums for comprehensive coverage for long trips running 10% of the total cost of the trip, the investment is large. However, without insurance the uninsured loss would be huge. To insure or not to insure. That is the question.

If losing the entire cost is not a nightmare, travel insurance may have become too expensive.

For seniors traveling abroad without any other type of coverage, it’s only prudent. We’ve used insuremytrip for comparison shopping.

I use insuremytrip as well. My Medicare supplement plan will pay up to $50,000 in emergency medical expenses when I am out of the country. I can buy medivac coverage like EA+ for a reasonable amount. However, I would suffer the greatest loss if I were to cancel the trip or if the trip is interrupted. The dilemma for me is deciding how much risk I am willing to accept. Also, when you get older as I have, you have fewer choices of insurers. Many insurers limit their coverage to a specific number of days and/or cap the amount of coverage they will provide. Then the decision gets even more difficult. Most recently, I have been faced with the decision of whether or not to insure. Choices are few and expensive because of my age and the 197 day length of the cruise. At this time, I only have a choice of two policies, both issued by Berkshire Hathaway. Hopefully I will have more choices once we are within a year of sailing.

Please connect me with any good reliable travel insurance company. We have a plan to travel to some European countries for holidays with my family. I read the above comments but still confused. If any discount available on insurance like discounts on christmas coupons or sale.

1 Like

Good one, your best blind link yet (though technically not blind).