travel suggestions - Austria and N. Italy

Gregory
At the risk of thread hijacking. I’d be very interested in your experiences in Trentino.

We were planning to do 4 nights in Trento, followed by a week walking in Molveno, then 3 days (mostly food/wine shopping - I can easily fill a rucksack from 0->15kg in that time in Bologna).

However we’re toying with the idea of keeping it simpler and (depending on flights arriving early enough) doing a week in Molveno, followed by a week in Trento, with that latter week including 2-3 day trips to places like Cles or Rovereto (or other options reachable by public transport). Ostensibly the justification of a week in Trento is to allow us to cast our eyes over other locations for possible return trips.

We had a car there 18 months ago, and whilst working reasonably well, didn’t really need it anywhere except for:

1. Day tripping to Trento as the buses had stopped (or drastically reduced) for the end of Summer season
  2. Getting to Molveno

As we’re planning on going earlier (Late August, hopefully avoiding Ferragosto crowds) those buses should still be running, hence the idea of doing without a car. Whilst most driving was ok, some of the overhangs did play on the nerves a bit. Not that we wouldn’t do it again, but with bus and train connections we’re thinking it’s a good excuse to avoid the hassle.

Any suggestions of other interesting places in range of Trento public transport would be appreciated. We’ll probably also fit a couple of winery visits in - one to pay homage to Francesco Moser, as the brains of the operation used to own one of his bikes, and possibly also to Foradori or someone else in Mezzolombardo.

Any places that are good for funghi hunting also appreciated - not necessarily for this trip as we might be a bit early, but she’s also an amateur mycologist so loves fossicking in the woods to see what mushrooms are about.

Apologies to Jeff - that was a proper thread hi-jack [smileyvault-ban.gif]

regards
Ian

Not at all - hijack away! Trento / Alto Adige is close enough to my possible itinerary that I might find something interesting!

We stayed in Castel Frasburg in Morano in Alta Adige and it was one of the most beautiful hotels I’ve ever been in.Great food too.

Some wineries to consider.