TRB and Mike Smith wines?

TRB - Maybach as well

This list is getting longer. I have some research to do now.

TRB: Hestan Vineyards, 4 Winds

I think TRB is listed as “the winemaker” for Vermeil Wines. As in Dick Vermeil. My next door neighbor, Frediani, supplies the fruit.

Depends on the situation. At Round Pond Muiris Griffin is the winemaker with TRB on as Consultant. This is Griffin’s first winemaking gig and he’s fairly young, so TRB is consulted on cooperage, barrel toast levels, pick dates, etc. but Griffin has the final say.

At this point, TRB seems to be involved in more things than I would try to keep track of.
Brian is the expert on Mike Smith and his wines, but here’s a short list, consolidated in one place: Mike makes Carter and Ancillary for and with owner Mark Carter, is the winemaker for Quivet and Scarlett (McGah Family). He makes Patine (co-owned by ex-LA King hockey player) at Carter’s facility–the ring is meant to look like a hockey puck, I was told. He owns Myriad. Makes wine for Becklyn, too, I guess. If there are more, Brian will know.

Mike’s former assistant Robin Akhurst is now making wine for Swanson and Clos Pegase, and under his Apsara and Elementary Cabernet labels, which he owns. If you like Mike, try Robin’s cabs, too.

TRB is also the winemaker for Shibumi Knoll

TRB is also the winemaker for Ampere Wines.

TRB is also the winemaker for Jones Family and Consultant at Tamber Bey. When we tasted at Tamber Bey the host mentioned that TRB works with several wines out of the Tamber Bey crush facility including Jones Family Wines.

http://www.tamberbey.com/assets/images/contentblock/photos/SDRwineryforwebsite.jpg

Here is what I have been able to gather on TRB:

4 Winds Winery
Aloft Wine
Ampere Wines
Aston Estate
Black Sears
Boar’s View
Casa Piena
Chiarello Family Vineyards
Gemstone Vineyard
The Grade Cellars
Harris Estate
Hestan Vineyards
Hobel Wines
Jones Family
Kinsella Estate
Maybach
Mending Wall
Outpost Wines
Post Parade
Pulido-Walker
Revana
Riverain Vineyards
Rivers-Marie
Round Pond (C)
Saunter
Schrader Cellars
Seaver Vineyards
Senses Wines
Shibumi Knoll
Stone the Crows
Tamber Bey
Theorem Vineyards [check out the website, and the $500/bottle]
Vermeil Wines
Wallis Estate

this is really close

These lists are getting long. What is the takeaway here? Great winemakers can work on dozens of projects? [thankyou.gif]

TRB list is missing some newcomers

Sodhani
Blanton (Selah)
Travail Estate

Says the new up and coming name in Napa. Welcome to Wineberserkers Anne!

The number of brands that can be supported is really more of a logistics question. Is TRB having his name attached to so many wineries really that much different than a single producer that puts out 20+ different wines a year? Sure, in some regards consulting on different brands can be difficult but it is highly dependent on the relationship and how much deferrence TRB is given to make decisions on his own.

TRB has that many clients!? Wow! How much time and attention to detail can he really give to each and everyone of them? I would have to believe that RM is his top priority, and other clients are on cruise control.

Do ya think that the Dunn’s and Forman’s are focused on anything other than Dunn and Forman?

Anybody willing to try and rank these from best to not best? :astonished: :angry:

It would be nice to acquire a sampler case, or two, of his wines.

Pretty sure if he wasn’t providing good value for the money he wouldn’t be hired. And his WA scores prove he does provide value.

Anybody willing to try and rank these from best to not best? > :astonished: > > :angry: >

It would be nice to acquire a sampler case, or two, of his wines.

Trying to rank these are very subjective, I would also say that for me, individual bottlings from these producers would be easier to rank. I’ve been fortunate enough to taste with TRB a couple of times, I have not in the last couple of years as his portfolio has expanded with the opening of Mending Wall.

The other issue is access. Obviously Schrader is probably his “best project” but your not going to be able to access reasonably. For me Maybach Materium would be second, the Amoneus is more accessible and great but I think their are other bottles that are better. Outpost True Vineyard is spectacular probably 3rd for me.

Then it gets tough, he has two Panek bottlings, one from Rivers Marie the other from Pulido-Walker, both increadible, different clones I believe. The Melanson from Pulido-Walker is in the same league if you like Pritchard Hill fruit.

Hobel is really good and probably more accessible than everything I just mentioned, same with Kinsella if you like a plusher fruitier wine, to just drink and not geek out on Kinsella is spectacular. I love Harris Estates, it used to be called Jakes Creek Vineyard but I think the new owners changed the names around.

If you like a more old world style you will like Casa Piena, that is owned by Carmen Policy. Along the same lines Tom Seaver used to have a property on Diamond Mountain that Thomas made, GSM or GTM can’t remember.

The bottom line is while all of these have “traits of TRB”, I really think he lets the Vineyard dictate style. I have never had a bottle I didn’t enjoy, just some are more spectacular that others. Oh and he has completely turned around Revanna. They were great under Heidi Barrett in the early 2000’s then they struggled for a while, since TRB back to really high quality.

Hope this helps,

Marki

I am interested in Thomas Brown’s new project. I understand he is the winemaker for Sodhani Vineyards in St Helena. Has anyone tried the Sodhani 2013 at $195? Looks like he also makes an Estate for Sodhani at $125 but they haven’t released it yet. There isn’t a lot of info online about them except their website, so no ratings yet. Happy Thanksgiving!!