Triggered at Total Wine

Worst section at TWM is a tough competition. Pretty much any imported wine that isn’t Bordeaux is in the mix.

3 Likes

Total wine may be a mess, but at least it’s a sign you’ll not living in a control state like PA.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a mess, as it’s great for domestic wine and Bdx, and beer, and liquor. But the difference between those sections and the other wine sections is quite stark.

The Champagne Big Boys had it all worked out… they owned thousands of acres in the UK and within a generation you would have needed a ‘French Champagne’ sign because they were planning to get the Appellation extended to England. Then there was that darned Brexit… so much for their plans for the first multinational Appellation, which it wouldn’t have been because Mosel/le got there first.

Dan Kravitz

2 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes.

Funny to read comments about Champagne and Rose at TWM. Think of it from their business plan to foist Pruvate Label on consumers at huge markups, that still undercut National brands, and then partner that with availability ot source PL. Rose…very easy. Champagne, very difficult, no one will sell them a Veuve knockoff they can sell for 50% of Veuve’s price, but make 100% margin on…Rose is easy.

And this was the wine:
https://www.totalwine.com/wine/champagne-sparkling-wine/sparkling-red-wine/brechetto/santorsola-brachetto-dacqui-pink/p/96276750

I’m basically triggered every time I go to Total Wine. Mostly due to the “Winery Direct”

3 Likes

To be fair, pushing the winery direct is their entire business model and one that’s made them very successful. Just do what I do and don’t even walk into them anymore unless you need beer or spirits.

2 Likes

I don’t get the vitriol. It’s basically a liquor store not a fine wine shop. They offer fair prices and a huge selection with good service to the masses. They carry tons of crap but also plenty of good wines. For the masses they are relief from supermarket wines. For wine nerds they are a place to find occasional deals just like any other wine shop. It was never intended to be Wine Beserkers LCWS

And I find plenty of WD wines to like that I’ve enjoyed over the years

Chappellet
Caterwaul
Tensley
Martin Ray
Kapscandy
Blankiet
Ghost Block
Sojourn
Teeter Totter
Faust
Cimarosa

Among others

5 Likes

And most of their Bdx is WD as well.

1 Like

Maybe they need to change their name to Total More & Wine?

3 Likes

If you say so Lynch Patrick

1 Like

Maybe we need to change their name to now-defunct Total Wine and More.

2 Likes

This is sadly becoming another Veuve Clicquot thread. WPPs

2 Likes

Actually, it’s not even a great liquor store. I agree one can find some good wine/deals, just buried by a lot of uninteresting stuff.

I’ll admit I rarely look at the Riesling or Rose sections because wouldn’t expect them to be good. Even the Bordeaux section of the local store dropped off noticeably, but may have been pandemic related issues. On a couple recent trips, the Bordeaux section looked like it had recovered a bit (still need a sale or coupon), and there were even a few more decent Champagnes.

-Al

FWIW last year i tried to find a decent reisling selection in San Diego last year. Went to all the usual places and beyond. I found all of one I’d consider merely adequate. No LWS has a good selection. Dunno if it’s different elsewhere but thats gotta be a tough category most places

Agree. If you are shopping for Austrian/German/Oz Riesling or Vin Jaune, etc…TWM is not that retailer.

They are very good at what they do and not going anywhere, other than into more locations.

3 Likes

Certainly serves a purpose and is always packed in the Twin Cities. As far as pricing I can count on one had the deals they have in a year compared to the great independent wine shops our market.

1 Like

Not true in O.C., L.A., and (presumably) N. CA, too. Maybe San Diego is just lagging behind?

2 Likes