Trip to Asia

I’d personally stay near the train stations to make life easier (I assume it is Tokyo Station and Kyoto Station you will be using mostly). Check out the cost of JR passes vs train fare (JR passes can only be purchased outside of Japan) - it saved me some good money on a couple of trips.

Yeah the JR pass is a must, and you gotta get it before you get to Japan. (Or at least that was the case a few years ago.)

I agree with everyone on the JR Pass, it made life a lot easier. How were you planning on going to Mt. Fuji? If it’s one of those bus tours (which we took) they can take up a lot of travel time. We did the Mt. Fuji/Lake Hakone day trip. Lake Hakone was beautiful but the Mt. Fuji portion ended up seeming a bit of a waste.

I have been to all these places. I think Japan was a great choice.
Most people actually either do Hakone or the 5 lakes area for Fuji (although I think an extra day in either Kyoto or Tokyo might be better).
A JR pass will be most cost effective (although private lines like the ones in Hakone not covered) if you plan on flying in and out of Tokyo. If you do an open jaw (flying into Tokyo and our of Osaka, there might be better options). I have found http://www.japan-guide.com/ to be a great resource. All sorts of info on Suica cards and which ATMs work with western cards (really only 7-11 bank and the post office). I have rented apartments… but generally do hotels since eating out is what you want to do… and there are plenty of options, including family type coffee shops for breakfast). There are a lot of reasonable Japanese hotel chains. Rooms there are small. Japanican (which also has good prices for rail/hotel trips to Kyoto from Tokyo – I have used them), Agoda or Rakuten travel has more listings for those sort of places.
If you are going to Disney for one day, Tokyo DisneySEA (SEA actually stands for Society of Explorers and Adventurers – not the Sea as in ocean) is a great option (I think even for a 5 yr old). It is materially different than Disneyland Tokyo (which is closer to what we have here).

Give us a shout when you head this way… [cheers.gif]

We are all booked. Doing this itinerary:
Friday arrive at Narita. Rented an airbnb in Shinjuku-ku
Saturday-Sunday tour Tokyo
Monday Tokyo---->Mount Fuji---->Kyoto airbnb in Kyōto-shi
Tuesday-Wednesday Kyoto(back to Tokyo thursday afternoon)
Thursday Disney Tokyo
Return home Friday.

I booked personal tour guides for 2 days in Toyko and 1 day in Kyoto. Any suggestions about what to do in the Mount Fuji area?

Bump

We, too are booked for Japan this spring for 8 days. No plans yet, no bucket list sights, just trying to experience Japanese culture and meet people.

Is Kyoto during cherry blossom time a total zoo?

Chris - it will be a total zoo, but a spectacularly beautiful once in a lifetime beautiful zoo - do it if you can.

When in Kyoto, Nara is a great day trip as well. Incredible chicken katsu curry right next to the train station!

It’s been 18 years since I was there in the peak blossom time, and Kyoto was unforgettable.

And incredible yakitori in the train station.

My wife and lived in Shanghai for 3 yrs, Beijing for a year, Hong Kong for a year, Singapore for 2 years. Many trips to the other countries for both work and play.

Considering the young one as well:

Beijing - great place to visit. Tons of cultural/historical/touristy things to do and awseome food options… Not a big problem with kids. Taxis are cheap. Just have the addresses/places written or printed.

Forget the rest of China on a relatively short/easy trip.

Japan - as others have noted. our favorite place to visit. Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara.

Hong Kong - awesome, lively, no trouble with kids. Plenty to do. Stanley beach, Lamma island, big Buddha, etc…even a day or overnight trip to Macao by boat. Antonios restaurant I will never forget.

Vietnam - great place. Hanoi, hailong bay, Hoi An. A little tougher, but Not overly hard with kids.

Singapore - wouldn’t bother. After 1-2 days rather boring/dull for adults. Two seasons: hot/humid or hotter/wetter. Great/easy for kids.

Taiwan - nothing wrong, but better more exciting options in other countries.

Sarah.

I’ve been to SIN about 15 years ago. I had a full day on the ground. We’re headed there this fall. I thought 2 full days would be fine. One friend suggested less, another friend suggested 3 - 4 full days. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

With more time go to KL and Penang. So much to see in Malaysia.

I’ve heard about Penang, and a friend mentioned Langkawi. He said it’s a short trip between the two.

For KL, spend a day? Overnight? More time? I can do this from SIN.

KL is fun because it’s a blend of Malay of course, Chinese, and Indian. There are easy side trips too.

The drive to Georgetown on Penang is 4 hours each way so it’s really a 2 day adventure. The train is actually slower. You can fly of course, but then you miss the countryside adventure.

One must see is the new Botanic Gardens. Be sure to go during the day as it’s all lit by natural light. One must skip is Sentosa.

Loved Batu Caves in KL, but it has been 10 years and have heard it’s turned into a garbage dump :confused:

Pool at MBS in Singapore is awesome, lah. Just freaking awesome. Incredibly expensive cocktails - believe I paid $34 for a Bloody Mary newhere MBS, in general, is a challenge for me. Love the hawker stalls in Singapore, but man it’s hard to pass up dinner at Daniel Boloud’s / other places there.

re Singapore - Going for breakfast/kaya toast at the original Killiney Kopitiam on 67 Killiney Road was fun. It’s turned out to be one of the memories we always go back to when we think about the enjoyable aspects of our trip.

Thanks Jay. Looking forward to this stop.