Trying Not To Be Rude in Tasting Rooms

They take a fairly long time as they want to show you around the whole place, mind you I had arranged the special visit at Margaux the week before we were there when I shamelessly grabbed the chance to talk to Corinne Mentzelopoulos at a Commanderie de Bordeaux dinner the week before. She very kindly remembered to contact the chateau to arrange it for me while she was still on hre North American tour.

The Mouton visit was arranged through their Canadian agent. I would just do one a day next time - you donā€™t want to be pressed for time for that sort of thing.

A call to the local agent for a winery can result in a much better experience with behind the scenes content than just showing up at the chateau.

Agree,

Some people have the style of handing people the bottle so itā€™s a psychological thing because many people wonā€™t want to put it back and theyā€™ll end up buying. I am more laid back and rather the customer have a pleasant time and not feel pressured at all. As far as tasting goes this happens everywhere and is often a sign that the pourer knows the wine. If you go to a wine tasting set up in a grocery store there is very little expectation that they know anything about it. This happens to us all the time in retail when an importer/distributor brings wine for us to try to. TBH the less knowledgeable wine people tend to say less.

It is particularly annoying when the servers argue with you - which is why I prefer not to offer them any opinions or rise to the bait when they ask what you think other than maybe to offer ā€œinterestingā€.

Iā€™ve had them argue about whether bottle was corked (the person arguing, obviously unable to detect TCA), and about overly sweet unbalanced wine that they thought were superb. Usually if they probe after my ā€˜interestingā€™ I might say something like ā€œI can see how this would appeal to some peopleā€

Bill - you seem to have the unfortunate experience of finding the worst staff in the business. Out of many dozens of visits around the world, only once did I have someone argue with me many many years ago at Beaulieau Vineyards when they served me a corked wine and insisted that it was just fine because it had just been opened. This would have been back in the late 1980s.

But wine tourism is a thing now. You know that. Every wine region is trying to increase the tourist side of things these days, so itā€™s a bit like going to Disneyland. The staff is there to make the common experience satisfactory, not to accommodate the singular guest with specific preferences.

That said, people are people and perhaps Iā€™m lucky but I have never encountered anyone anywhere who insisted on badgering me while they served me. If someone tells me Iā€™ll pick up strawberry notes and whatever, Iā€™ll just wink at them and tell them I think I can figure it out. Or sometimes, if Iā€™m feeling chatty, Iā€™ll ask them questions about their involvement and interest in the wine industry. And if you donā€™t like the questions, ask them something random, like whether theyā€™re picking up some of the remaining yeast metabolites or megastigmatrienones. Works like a charm! At least to get rid of the tasting room server. Unfortunately, sometimes theyā€™ll give you a blank look and get the wine maker or owner and then youā€™ll have to deal with them, so it can be a dangerous move.
[cheers.gif]

1 Like

I think youā€™re in the right on this one. This is entirely the reason why they pour out a sample before the full glass. The server shouldā€™ve have apologized and opened a new bottle.

Tell them youā€™re trying to get your sense of taste back after getting covā€¦(cough) and then theyā€™ll leave you alone. xD

This thread led me to revisit a few tasting room scenes in the movie Sideways including the ā€œare you chewing gum one?ā€. [cheers.gif]

Did you also end up drinking the spit bucket? haha

Just tell them you are on Berserkers and if they donā€™t know the site then tell them to shut up!

When I go to tasting rooms I always email the owner or wine maker in advance so I donā€™t have to deal with this nonsense.