TSA lifted wine from checked luggage

Never from SFO and over 2 thousand bottles. Never from JFK but only about 100 bottles.
But remember that TSA checks, but anyone can remove it before or after TSA inspection. On the way to the TSA X-ray machine or on the way to the baggage cart.
I always use styro 12 packs shippers and are full.

Recently flew into the Caymans from JFK with a few bottles in my checked bag. TSA inspected but nothing missing

Well, I did say almost definitely. It just seems extremely unlikely that a baggage handler would be rifling through bags. They really don’t have time to do that, and I don’t think they could generally be doing so without someone noticing or at least the potential that someone might (so if this were a pattern for them, they wouldn’t have the job for long). Plus we know TSA looked through the bag. So, most likely…

Baggage handlers have been caught rifling through bags. One stole a whole plane last summer, but that’s a different story.

Would it be appropriate to file a claim with the airline as well as TSA?

Well, maybe I was too confident. Either way, it’s unfortunate.

I worked 11 yrs at Miami International. NEVER EVER leave anything of high value in a checked bag. The back ramps and particularly the bellies (luggage compartment) of aircraft are crime zones and virtually impossible to effectively surveil.

Do airlines employ their own baggage handlers though? My impression was that this was always contracted out.

I don’t think that’s true Merrill. They have to be packed properly so they don’t break and leak, but there’s no requirement to have their own space. I have the same Pelican case but didn’t buy the insert b/c I want to carry more than 8 wines. I put a piece of styrofoam on the bottom of the case and then just wrap each bottle in bubble wrap. Never had one stolen, but I’ve had a few broken because they inspected and dropped the bottle.

Yes, TSA is security. It’s the baggage handlers that are stealing stuff.

LAX has a problem. I had a suit stolen out of a garment bag at LAX.

The airlines are between a rock and hard place on this one because it’s not always their employees.

At MIA some do & some do not ( contracts with outside companies ).
Lots of thefts & drug smuggling forever !

I believe there have been examples of theft by both TSA employees and baggage handlers. I’m not sure of the contractual relationship between the handlers and the carriers, but if something of value was missing from my bags I’d look to TSA and the airline. And I’d look at the fine print that goes with purchasing a ticket.

Only time when I found something missing from my bag was before required TSA modus operandi, but not saying here that TSA not capable. But prior to TSA, only baggage handlers would mostly handle baggage. Where’d you hear of TSA lifting things?

Baggage handlers are much more likely than TSA to take stuff. I have had my baggage rifled by baggage handlers in the past and I don’t think this has changed much.

Has anyone placed a claim for this with their cc? Most of the higher end cc’s (Amex plat, csr, spg lux) have it built in.

Wow. I had not idea. It’s probably just a matter of time for me according to that article. I just came back from LA with 5 bottles of wine wrapped tightly in jeans and shirts which is what I usually do when bringing back just a few bottles. Have yet to have a loss or breakage.

We recommend our customers take pics of their wines they have in their luggage and their Wine Check, (Imagine trademark here), plus write the contents on a flap of the shipper inside the Wine Check. (Imagine trademark here). This is not an unknown problem and security improvements continue, but they can’t get it all. The numbers by percentage would probably be surprisingly low. Add to that location, demographics, specific items stolen and how each airline handles their baggage. I am sure some airlines pay to have the “airport” baggage handlers load and unload, versus hiring their own personnel to work odd hours and schedules across the nation. For all the travelling I’ve done, I have one friend who had a chef’s coat taken from his suitcase and one acquaintance who had a bottle of Silver Oak removed from his suitcase, yet his marijuana has made the trip annually for 22 years without being discovered.

US Airways did buy me a new set of golf clubs, a new golf bag and travel bag after dragging my clubs across the tarmac, reducing the blades about 20 percent and putting a 25 degree bend in the metal shafts.

Theft is going to occur and there is nothing that will stop it. You put in cameras, they learn how to avoid those cameras when they conceal the property on their person or they don’t care and steal anyway.

One last thing: TSA did an inspection. If the wine was taken before or after their inspection, how the hell would they know. Your claim should be with the airline.

I did just that yesterday before flying back from Falltacular. I had read this thread the other day and figured I’d play it safe and take some pics. I had a six pack shipper in cardboard that was taped up with the baggage tag wrapped across the top of the box that was fine. The 12 pack suitcase had a couple bottles of olive oil in it. When we arrived home and Unwrapped the olive oil there was a TSA tag inside the tissue wrapped around the bottle.
F952D0EA-091A-4BA3-BCC6-EE79411D5A1D.jpeg
D92E5D49-374A-44BD-B713-DB04D9A9DA14.jpeg

What the government wants, the government takes.

This has always been a huge fear of mine when traveling home. I’ll have to start taking pictures.