Tuscany

Unfortunately the Sassicaia Osteria was closed for a private event the night we tried to go. If you’re staying in Bibbona, I’d recommend Io Cucina over the Sassicaia Osteria though. I would have enjoyed tasting at Sassicaia but from what everyone locally told me, the food isn’t anything to go out of your way for. Another nice spot for lunch is the little osteria to the right when you walk into Bolgheri - La Bottega di Elena. The basic truffle pasta was my wife’s favorite of the trip. There’s another wine-focused osteria in Bolgheri proper that’s been mentioned here (I’m blanking on the name). We went for lunch and thought the food was terrible (canned seafood, etc.). The wine list was great though.

I didn’t taste at Ornellaia. They charge 100E to taste and refused to let my pregnant wife join for a lesser fee. This was offputting to me.

I guess it’s the double whammy, of famous winery and in Tuscany, where there are enough tourists to pay the entry fee.

So different to most of Italy, and it is to the great credit of the Langhe wine producers that they mostly avoid farming tourists, even though their wines are often more highly thought of than their Tuscan cousins.

1 Like

Thanks David. I’d skip Ornellaia as well if they did that. I’m not a fan of that high of a tasting fee either but my buddy wants to go. We are going to Tenuta Argentiera that day as well and looking forward to trying their wines. Luckily we got into La Pineta that night for dinner.

Highlights of our time in Tuscany:
Staying at Relais Sant’Elena in Bibbona/Bolgheri region. We ended up moving their last minute and like David I highly recommended as well. Beautiful place with excellent service.
We then moved to Pienza and stayed at La Bandita Townhouse. We really liked it and enjoyed staying in Pienza. Really nice little town but you are driving everywhere you go but centrally located.

Best meals
La Pineta - everything we hoped it would be. Fantastic seafood on the coast steps from the water.
Osteria Perilla- in Rocca D’Orca- Well worth the michelin one star it has. Fantastic lunch and some smart wine choices that were very reasonable. Their Sangiovese they make is very good for the price. We did the larger tasting menu.
Trattoria da Fiorella - In the town of Pienza. Classic Trattoria that did a great job with the classics. The Pecorino cheese appetizer and Pici Pasta with spicy tomato sauce are classics and not to be missed. Also an excellent value
La Bandita Caffe- Chef David from Scotland has been there 7 years. Outstanding restaurant with his twist on Tuscan classics. We had our last meal of the trip there and it was excellent. One of the best of the entire trip.

1 Like

Hi Jan- did you happen to stay in Siena when you visited ? Considering for the same reason you stated below.

thanks

On our first trip to Tuscany we stayed in Siena 3 nights, then stayed at Villa Bordoni in Greve - a beautiful spot! https://www.villabordoni.com/en/

1 Like

It’s a bit south, but we really enjoyed Sorano and Pitigliano. They are near Saturnia too.