TWA William Kelley on several 2018 Beaujolais (Bouland, Metras, Foillard)

Oh that’s cool, the La Chappelle cuvee!!

That is one of the real highlights of the range in 2018!

William -

What’s the story behind all these Thivin cuvees now? I’ve been buying Thivin for as long as I can remember, and these cuvees like La Chappelle, Zachariah, Griottes, Bertrand, et al, just seemed to pop up out of nowhere. Perhaps they were made before and my go-to retailers did not carry them. I have the 2017 Zachariah last year and it was flat out stunning. Also, is there a hierarchy among them, or just different vineyards?

Ok dummy me, google is my friend. An excellent website in English, describing quite nicely the range of wines and the details of all recent vintages:

As you’ve seen, the website explains the particularities of the various lieu-dit cuvées. None of them are directly exported to the USA, however, so anything you are finding is not coming via Kermit.

Great video, agree!

Anyone else tasted any 2018 Foillard? Starting to see some offers, but few notes.

I really have enjoyed this entire series of talks, thanks William!

Métras Fleurie Printemps 2017 : 14/20 (july 2020)
Clean but quite weak.

Foillard once again to “nature” for me (like Chamonard) :
Foillard Morgon Côte du Py 2018 : 15,5/20 puis quasi ED – 20/10/2020
Plus joyeux/fruité que La Sagesse 2018 de Gramenon, heureusement. Défaut le lendemain (éthanal, pomme blette).

I recently discovered an interesting producer :
Arnaud Combier Chiroubles 2018 : 16/20 (very good ripe but fresh and thin wine)

Arnaud Combier Fleurie 2018 : 15,5/20 – 23/5/2020 (october 2020)
14,5°. Bien fait, très mûr mais sans lourdeur obsédante (opulent mais fin). Fait pinot noir (fleurs, cerise confite).

Arnaud Combier Beaujolais Villages premières gouttes 2018 : 15/20 (november 2020)
Belle invitation aromatique : fruit particulièrement mûr signant le millésime (cerise confite), épices, violette, réglisse.
Bouche nette, équilibrée (belle acidité pour le millésime – 12,5° d’alcool annoncés), lisse, gourmande. Longueur correcte.

The Godefroy 2018 is also delicious. Just a baby, though!