Ulises Valdez dead at 49

What a huge loss for the wine world. I only met him a couple of times but I saw him a few days ago and he still had that signature smile even at 730 am after working all night with the whole day ahead of him. R.I.P. to this legend.

Jeebus!!! RIP to a legend. I’ll have to search my cellar to see if I have any bottles left of some Mi Sueno winery “Herrera” Pinot Noir that came from the Esmeralda Ulises Valdez vineyard. Tasty stuff…

Add El Diablo Vineyard to that list.

So truly heartbreaking. I only met him a couple of times, but he was so humble, and I appreciate that from someone who frankly deserves a lot of credit for the state of quality coming out of California right now.

I hope his legacy lives on. He and his family deserve it.

Very sorry to hear this news—I know of him only by his reputation for how hard he worked and how meticulous he was with farming, and his knowledge. A great loss.

The Valdez’s had a tasting room in Healdsburg for a number of years, but it closed about a year ago (likely a victim of the world’s longest running traffic circle construction debacle). I’ve tasted there several times and the wines were quite good, even met Ulises once pouring barrel samples. It was always a pleasure talking to his daughters, Elisabeth or Angelica. You can still taste via an appointment at the winery in Cloverdale.

http://www.valdezfamilywinery.com

I rarely comment when I’m on Wine Berserkers as I mostly lurk and enjoy reading everyone’s observations. However, today it is important to pay tribute to Ulises Valdez - not only for his talent and contribution made to the Sonoma wine community, but because he embodies the American dream that we often forget still exists. I did not know him, yet his story inspires and proves that the simple combination of passion and hard work will bring you closer to your dreams. My condolences go out to his family, and to every winery that worked with him.

Took some friends out for wine tasting, probably mid 2016? They like wine, know some good wine but mostly just let me pick the places. First place we started at was Valdez in Healdsburg. I always wanted to go, drive by it every time I’m in Healdsburg. We walk in there, they were just kind of getting the day started. The person who greets us looks familiar, I’m thinking “This is Ulises Valdez, cool!” Sure enough he starts to get talking and it’s him. He poured us soooo many wines he wanted us to try since he was helping out today in the TR due to one of his kids not being able to help (or as I recall didn’t want to help that day. We must’ve stayed there close 45 minutes and hour? Maybe one other group came in during that time. Most of the wines were wonderful and we took home a few bottles. Listening to his stories, his candor and everything about him you could see why people loved the guy so much. Didn’t know him personally obviously, but based on that one single interaction I could really tell that this guy was the real deal, genuine down to earth, salt of the earth type. Bless his family for the loss of this man, so young to be saying good bye. Rest in wine Ulises.