Underrated Burgundy Vintages

true, true. Clive Coates and Tanzer correctly called the vintage; Parker missed it. And Parkerā€™s call of 93 let the rest of us scoop up those babies at fire sale prices. Cote de Nuits was rated 73, Cote de Beaune 67, later upward-revised by Rovani, but still too little.

Greg, Iā€™m not sure I get the comparison between the two vintages. 1996 was a less-ripe, high acid vintage that showed a lot of purity on release, where 2005 was riper, with more tannic structure but less acid. Iā€™d say that 2005 is more like 1995, although with more ripeness, but I think they both had a lot of obvious structure when young.

And structure in burgundy (at least pinot noir) was something Parker couldnā€™t understand. But true Burgundy lovers know strucure is the key to beautiful burgundy. It is all about the shape.

I think 13 is the most variable vintage of the more recent good run; some are already aging somewhat questionably.

The hope is that youā€™re right, the fear is that youā€™re wrong. 2005s have plenty of acidity.

We just had two Chevillons and both werenā€™t very good. The dā€™Angerville was the best of the bunch based on the nose.

I see a common thread in the wines. I think winemakers and viticulturists, in general, are better equipped to accommodate vintage variation and adapt to challenges. '13s seem to have more tender acidities compared to '08s, which can be a bit harder. Will that make '08s better wines and longer lived 15 years from now? How much of that is mother nature vs human intervention? :man_shrugging:t2: I think '13s might be more friendly and enjoyable earlier in comparison, which isnā€™t a bad thing for me.

Iā€™m still pretty high on '08 & '13 and would backfill certain producers. Iā€™d go '95 and '98 before '96, though I do hope what '96 I have in the cellar will ultimately be enjoyable.

FYI, I had a bottle of 88 Lafarge Mitans a few months back that was pretty good.

which are those? Iā€™ve mostly found they just havenā€™t been ready. I have had some nice ramonet reds from that vintage and kevin did just post a nice note on the 13 roumier cras. I have a bunch of barthod, rousseau, roumier, drc, etc from 13 so I hope they come around sooner than later but I guess weā€™ll see.

2005s have everything. Itā€™s as close as you can get to a sure thing in wine. Comparing it to '95 just sounds craaaazy to me. '95 has had hard tannin forever and some of them lost their fruit before they even got on the boat. '05 is made of pure silk. Itā€™s also one of those vintages where the growers were in awe of the quality of the grapes as they were bringing them in, unlike those years that claw their way up the vintage charts with comments like, ā€œGrowers were pleasantly surprised by how much weight the wines put on in barrelā€¦ā€ I remember being in Burgundy during the '05 harvest and one of the estate managers remarked how excited he was looking forward to the seasonā€™s cheese, because even the grass was perfect. You never have to worry about those years when everything goes right. Timetable is another issue. Definitely not a year for the Boomers.

Itā€™s possible that Iā€™m just a terrible taster, but we just did a dinner a few months ago with a bunch of 05s, and the clear winners were two non 05 ringers. Even wines as plush and typically open as Mugneret Gibourgā€™s Fueselottes need 3 hours or more to open up. (On pop and pour a few weeks earlier it was just a wall of structure.) When after 15 years the response to a great vintage is to just keep waiting, the question of ā€œbut seriously, when will they actually be greatā€ feels quite warranted. The same thing is true for 05 Bordeaux, by the way. I recall having an 05 Barthod a few years ago that was a complete acid bomb, so when I hear they donā€™t have a lot of acidity, I, again, wonder if Iā€™m just drinking different bottles.

And again, my point is not ā€œ05 is 96 reduxā€, itā€™s ā€œI HOPE itā€™s notā€. The other 2 earlier great vintages of this century, imho, 2002 and 2010 havenā€™t been shut down hard for 15 years.

Roumierā€™s 13 Cras is very good, Barthod is undrinkable at the moment (what else is new). Itā€™s my second least favorite Fourrier vintage after 2005 (2008 is the other) and a Groffier Sentiers I had was just awful. Whereas Iā€™ve also had some lovely 13s (a Chezeaux Suchots was terrific recently). Itā€™s an uneven vintage. I donā€™t buy DRC or Rousseau, so couldnā€™t tell you.

15 years post-harvest has never been enough time for a great vintage. 25 is a good rule of thumb and even thatā€™s really just the bare minimum to get into the zone of bona fide mature.

I donā€™t need bona fide mature, I need ā€œshowing somethingā€. 2010s and 2002s have been showing plenty already. Even 2005 villages arenā€™t in a very accessible place right now, imho. I am hardly suggesting all grand crus from 2005 should be drinking phenomenally now.

From the very beginning it was clear that 2005 was going to be a vintage that was going to take a very long time to come around. If you didnā€™t have the patience to wait, you either should not have bought the wines or should sell them now and buy something softer that would be more to your liking. IMHO, a lot of village 2005s are starting to taste quite good and the better wines are starting to soften but not yet show any signs of mature flavors. Cases in point would be a 2005 Drouhin Clos St. Denis and a 2005 Jouan Clos St. Denis that I had together earlier this year - note that rumors at least are that Drouhin gets his Clos St. Denis from Jouan. These wines were not closed but were primary.

Look, vintages like 2002, 2009 and 2015 are more crowd pleasers than more structured wines from vintages like 1996, 2005 and even 2010, which wines have a good bit of acidity as well, but are nowhere near as high acidity as are the 1996s. I donā€™t see that much similarity between 1996 and 2005, other than I like both a lot), but if you donā€™t like them you should sell them as they have appreciated a good bit. There are no requirements that everyone like the same wine.

Again, with whites, I would say that the real underrated vintage is 1993. Parker trashed both the reds and whites from this vintage, but the wines from both colors are really good. I also agree with the comment that for whites 2000 is an underrated vintage.

And, however good you think 2014 is for whites, it is probably better. Does this make it underrated?

You donā€™t appear to have read my post closely Howard, so I will make my point clearer. My problem is not a lack of patience, as I have been letting nearly all my 2005s sleep. I do not need to drink them now. I am, however, concerned that my patience will outlive the wines, as it has for the 1996s that I own (and owned). The point is not that ā€œI donā€™t like themā€.

We seem to have run this into the ground, so youā€™re welcome to have the last word.

Point one, I like the 1996s and you donā€™t.

Point two. You think the 2005s are developing like the 1996s. I donā€™t think the vintages are all that similar, but if you are right, that is ok with me but not with you.

Point three. This isnā€™t math or science. I can like different wines from you without either of us being right or wrong, a concept you seem to be having severe problems with.

Point four. I am holding onto my 2005s because based on what I have been tasting I think I will really like them in a few more years. Why are you holding on to yours?

If by a few you mean 10 then I concur.

My concern has always been that I might be dead before Iā€™d enjoy drinking them.

Iā€™ve only had a couple 05 but theyā€™ve been pretty great; Angerville Champans, Lambrays, and especially Nicolas Rossignol Chevrets