Understanding the Producers of Volnay

Alan/Craig, thanks for that thread. Lots of interesting material there, though also interesting how some of it is out of date. In just a few years Volnay has turned to a number of young guns (Clerget, Rossignol, Bouley, others) advancing quality on their domaines. But seems like d’Angerville and Lafarge are still at the top of the heap.

I’m a big fan of angerville but their prices went up a ton from 14 to 16. ~300/btl for ducs is tough. Envoyer had some nice deals on 15s lately though. One of my best scores of last year was some 13 champans for ~50/btl though.

The 90, 91, 95, and 96 Pousse d’Or 60 Ouvrees bottlings are among my all time favorite Burgundy experiences. Gerard Potel’s work remains my favorite expression from the commune.

+1

Anyone has experience with Joseph Drouhin Clos des Chenes ? Tiny plot of only 0.25 Ha, so not much wine around. But I would think Drouhin’s house style would be perfect for Volnay.

I also very much loved the wines from Gerard Potel. But, the wines made since he died after the 1996 vintage are made in a very different style. The wines made today are very lush and I don’t have a good sense yet whether they will age as well as the wines from Potel.

In order of bottles owned, the producers for which I own the most Volnay are:

d’Angerville
Dublere
Louis Boillot (the producer that no longer exists)
Bouchard
Pousse d’Or
Clerget
Lafon

For me:

Rossignol
Angerville
Clerget
Bouchard
Lafarge

Dank the 1991 60 Ouvrées in Norway last week and it was beautifully floral and lifted. I think the 1990 (which is one of the 1990s that have aged well) is a bit beeper and more complete though. Given how good 1989 Volnays can be, I would love to try that vintage, but I have never encountered it.

I’ve been underwhelmed by the recent Bouchard and Pousse reds I’ve had.

There is quite a lot of variation within Clos des Chenes, in so far as some of it, towards Monthélie, is quite windy and the grapes don’t get as mature as the Volnay side and above all at the bottom. I believe Lafarge is located there, at the north-east corner of the vineyard where the grapes get ripest, so it is perhaps no accident that it is Lafarge’s example that has above all others made the reputation of Clos des Chenes.

Does jadot own vines there or do they purchase grapes?

They own a parcel in Santenots (it’s Domaine Louis Jadot) and have a longstanding relationship with the owners of the monopole Clos de la Barre 1er cru from which they purchase grapes.

1 Like

Oh I meant in Chenes, as they make that as well.

Sorry to bump my own post, but I think it’s a legitimate question (and I love to know the answer!)

No, that is a Maison purchase from the Monthélie side.

I don’t think it is especially popular to be honest… Lafarge destem 100% and so do d’Angerville. The new management at Pousse d’Or destem. Old man Voillot used to retain about 1/3 stems but his son in law Jean-Pierre Charlot stopped that some time ago. Bouley uses lots of stems but is unusual in that. Rossignol plays around with it, depending on the character of the vineyard he is working with. De Montille also play around with destemming or not according to site and vintage, though they do use a lot for Taillepieds generally.

1 Like

Is all of Santenots actually in meursault?

Well, it is in the finage of Meursault but the appellation of Volnay…

Almost always very good, in my experience.