Undervalued/underappreciated vintages

But nor are any of those châteaux in the northern Médoc…

1 Like

Now you’re just being picky.

+1

:slight_smile: Sure, but no Northern Medoc will reach the quality of those wines I’ve mentioned.

1 Like

No, I’m looking at where the rain fell! 100mm in Saint-Julien vs 40mm in Margaux…

If I had meant that 2014 is better than 2015 in Margaux, Saint-Émilion, Graves and Sauternes, I would have written that.

The distance between e.g. Château Montrose and Smith-Haut-Lafitte is as far as the distance between Beaune and Mâcon, after all.

Nor are any of the wines you cited in any sense underrated [snort.gif]

2 Likes

I am starting to see 15 (very slowly) and 18 burgundy fall into that category as well. I’ve managed to source some 15 DRC for the same price or less than 17 now, which is shocking given the quantities of 17 and how cheap in 19-20, no idea why that is.

Well, I’m certainly not expert like you, but I have tasted both vintages of these specific wines and prefer the 2014:

Figeac
Canon
Les Carmes Haut Brion
Sociando
Cantemerle
Lanessan
Cambon La Pelouse
Bourgneuf (2016 even better)

Haven’t tried the 15, but oh are these 14s killer:

Lalande
Montrose
Calon Segur
L’Eglise Clinet
Vieux Chateau Certan

Found 15 Ausone a bit much.

I’m sure I’ve had others, but these comes to mind. Again, nowhere near the representative examples of what William, and I guess you, have had, but I know my taste and my vintage profile preferences.

I should qualify, I’ve had full or multiple bottles of all of these wines and followed them over an evening. I do not go to mass tastings, and for me, put little stock in them. I think we all know bigger tends to show better then, but once you get it home, sometimes it ain’t the same.

Hmm surprising, but might reflect the fact that 2017 is being traded a lot right now.

But it is true that 2015 Burgundies, even more than 2009, fell victim to changing fashions, in the sense that people who at one stage didn’t buy e.g. 2007s because they were “not ripe enough” didn’t buy 2015s for fear that they might be “too ripe”.

2 Likes

Agree with almost all names you mentioned (haven’t had Eglise Clinet, Lanessan, Bourgneuf, Cambon). Figac is an exception where I find the 2015 far superior. Re VCC: the 2015 is significantly ahead in terms of depth and a bit in terms of precision but still I prefer the 2014 clearly today, as the 2015 (like other right banks too), is just too bold and ripe and big for me (hell, I guessed it to be a Napa!). my hunch is that the VCC 14 will be ahead in this race at least for the next 25 years or forever if the 2015 dies before it will be able to shed its fat. I’m not looking for bigger either, to the contrary, and I’m not basing these judgements solely on trade tastings but many theme nights at home/friends places.

Andy try that Lanessan. It’s smokin. And the last vintage before Bouard swooped in and marred it. Such a great value. I just grabbed another case. I swooned over the 2009 as well.

2 Likes

I think 18 is very properly rated for a vintage where some producers made some, let’s say, unusually powerful wines.

I think 15 is becoming less rated on a relative basis with the dawning realization that getting sufficiently ripe Pinot doesn’t appear to be the main challenge going forward in burgundy. I do think there were a few producers who made slightly overripe 15s, but overall it’s a really good vintage (even if I think 16 is better).