Unusual Grape Varieties You Have Tried / Want To Try

Sounds like an outstanding after-dinner Port.

With chocolate desserts.

I have actually read Laverne Gay’s 1948 novel Wine of Satan,
and can tell you for a certainty that there is no mention of Dornfelder between its covers.

1 Like

I think Joseph Phelps makes an ice wine from Scheurube.

At our house, we try to taste a new wine varietal every week. Have taken a page from Tom Hill who specializes in new grape varietals for me. Only issue I have is finding them where I live. Hate to order on line for 1 or 2 bottles.

I owe my life to Green Hungarian. No joke! My grandfather was in Kaiser Wilhelm’s army in WWI and he told me that he had an allergy to Green Hungarian wine. He said that before every battle, he would drink a bottle of it and it would make him sick, so he would spend the battle in the infirmary. I always thought he was referring to unripe wine until I discovered that Green Hungarian was a variety, and also a varietal. I have yet to taste it, but I have to get a bottle of the Sandlands.

1 Like

Zibibbo. Aka Muscat of Alexandria. Nice, light fruity white that was quite pleasant on a summer evening.

I have tried and loved:

esoteric
Tannat - Château Peyros Madiran and Alain Brumont Tour Bouscassé Madiran (blend of Tannat, CS, CF)
Negrette - On l’appelle négrette, Vignobles Arbeau Fronton (Château Coutinel makes this but not listed on front label)
Len de Lel/Loin de L’oeil - Domaine de la Chanade “Les Rials”
Aglianco - Salvatore Molettieri - Aglianico Irpinia Cinque Querce

not so esoteric anymore…
Picpoul -several makers but now this grape is all the rage :wink:
Bugey Cerdon - Bernard Rondeau and Patrick Bottex
Petit Manseng - Chateau Bouscasse - Pacherenc du Vic-Bilh Vendémiaire

I would love to try:
Blaufränkisch - just because there is a local version available to try…
Frappato - especially Occhipinti’s version
Fer Servadou
Duras
Croatina/Bonarda
anything else weird, that fellow Besekers suggest

There is a blog called Fringe Wine which might prove inspiring for those of you into weird grapes. Sadly the blog is no longer updated…but provides a fascinating compilation of tasting notes for weird not so common grapes.

Thanks for starting such a cool thread.

I would be interested to hear more about the West of Temperance Aglianico :slight_smile:

I love this group. Working my way slowly through the lesser known (to me) varieties. Wish I could get together enough interested friends to create a local chapter.

Petit Manseng. I have only been able to find it from Virginia. Some with a little RS and suitable for dessert and another bone dry.

La Clarine Farm in the Sierra Foothills makes a nice Petit Manseng. Theirs is dry.

Try the Ryme Aglianico if you can find it. Really good, with tannins that are fitting of the variety. Villa Creek makes a good one too. Both sourced from Luna Matta Vineyard on the Westside of Paso Robles.

Aglianico doesn’t get enough love. To me it is the taste of Naples.

Just a minor correction. Bugey-Cerdon isn’t a grape, it is a place designation. The sparkling rosé wines are Gamay or Poulsard and Gamay.

Have had a few of those Spanish grapes. Least fave was Graciano.

Would love to try those Hungarian grapes. Is there anything that characterizes Hungarian grapes in general, if you were to describe them as a group?

I like the crisper Greek white varieties, and when they don’t try to blend the rustic reds with French varieties (I like Agiorgitiko or Xinomavro without a bunch of Cab or Merlot swirled in)

Looked up Lauzet. Fascinating. Is it available on it’s own or always blended?

Post an update down the road! I’m curious too.

Never had it, but a quick bit of digging makes me super curious! Notes of black currant on a white wine? Love it.

Also, this rather fascinating quote:
(The Scheurebe Grape)

A quotation widely repeated about “Scheu” (as it is informally and commonly called) is from noted importer Terry Theise:
Scheurebe is Riesling just after it read the Kama Sutra. Put another way, Scheu is what Riesling would be if Riesling were a transvestite. If Riesling expresses all that is Noble and Good, Scheu offers all that is Dirty and Fun. It is Riesling’s evil, horny twin.

Mike, that’s a fascinating lineup! Does the LCBO actually carry those? I remember it having a pretty narrow selection when I was in T.O.

Have to try Chatus, reading that. Sounds like it’s in my wheelhouse. Ditto the dry tokaji.

The Vidadillo sounds like it drinks like an Italian, so pizza makes sense as a pairing.

So any TNs on the Piedmontese wines?