Upcoming Saxum Release, what do buyers think

Interesting theories. I wasn’t aware that heat could blow off over time. Not something I’ve experienced.

They are unlike anything else I buy. Very distinctive. Agree with Steve, let them age a bit. I’ll be in, as usual.

And yet they still sell at 10% - 50% or more over allocation price in the secondary market.

Agreed. Saxum would move very fast within that range. Maybe a tad more with the 12’s and 13’s. Nonetheless, given the crazy premium other wines receive in the secondary market, Saxum is still a heck of a bargain. Of course, it’s easy for me to say that since I’ve been on the mailing list now for several years. My problem is as others noted above; I’m drinking them way before their time !

Upcoming Saxum Release, what do buyers think

buyers think it’s awesome
non-buyers, not so much

I’m a fan.

Saxum vs.

2012 Jaboulet La Chapelle - $120 at Premier Cru; $140+ anywhere else.
2012 Ch. Palmer - $240
2012 Calon Segur $60
2012 Bouchard L’Enfant Jesus 1ere Cru - $100
2009 Bruno Giacosa Falletto - $140

For comparison purposes only. YMMV

So Jay, are you talking yourself in or out of your allocation?

I’ve had mixed experiences, some being good, others being hot and not to my liking. I would differ the post up thread that thinks it’s stupid to pass. These aren’t the flippable board trophies any longer and there is no premium on the wines, if you politely ask for some on CC, you could get offers all day at cost.

I made that comment just looking at prices at K&L, Benchmark, Winebid, Belmont… You know obscure outlets with little sales volume. neener

Yes, you would be correct, but look at their sales and flow through. I would guess that those same wines will be there in 2-6 months.
I think Saxum has fallen into the trap that many wineries have, become board darlings, have lots of praise and critical acclaim, raise prices and then get to a point where your clients have more than they need so they stop buying. I get offered Saxum at cost at least once a week, I posted wines for trade in CC and almost every response that I received was ‘I have Saxum to trade’…Anecdotal and microcosmic for sure, but reality none the less. (Sorry, I’m not trying to derail this thread nor talk down on the wines)

I am not advocating flipping Saxum. I am a buyer and a drinker. What I said was that there is little downside to making a buy. I would much rather have a cellar filled with Saxum that you have a great chance of at least getting your cost out of, if in a pinch, than have a cellar of say LastBottleWine purchases. There are a small minority of wines in the world of wines that hold their value or have a chance to increase in value and Saxum is one of them.

Across the board, Rose excepted, wine improves with age.

It is interesting that quite a lot of people feel that the wines have priced themselves out of the market, personally I think they are a little high but when you compare them to things like KB SVD’s or what can be some average Napa Cab’s for $100 they seem reasonably priced

The proof of pricing is simply the waiting list size. Certainly as the price increases, some people get priced out and new people get a chance to spend more. So the allocation list demographics shift to people willing to spend more. Saxum gets to price for what the market will bear.

Personally I think Saxum costs half the price of similar quality wines from Napa, and I like the Saxum’s better. More importantly my wife likes them better.

Any recs on decant time for 2010 Broken Stones? Only been on the list for a short while and haven’t tried any yet, this is my oldest.

Last one I had I drank over two days and the second day was far better. I would give it an overnight decant if you can or at least several hours.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to compare them to CDP’s?

is the offer out yet?

That’s a pretty sweeping statement. Although I agree that most wine, and almost all good wine, improves some with some age.

No. Not at all. I was just mentioning other wines is the same or slightly higher price range. I would rat6her have the Saxum than any of the other wines I listed, especially because I will enjoy the Saxum a decade earlier than the others. Did I prefer Saxum when the “lesser” bottlings only cost me $48. Yes. Am I still a buyer? Yes.

As to holding value, I have 38 different Saxum bottlings and according to CT, every one of them currently has a “value” greater than my purchase price including shipping, with perhaps the exception of the 2006 Broken Stones, because I do not remember what it cost. But here’s my note on that wine, so I think I would prefer to drink the rest of them than sell it:

• 2006 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (10/30/2010)
    This is the high end of outstanding. We popped and poured this at a steakhouse in NYC, which is not the way to treat it, but it was still a fantastic wine. The most surprising thing about it is thet it oozes raspberry fruit even though the blend is more syrah and less grenache. There’s meatiness and depth, a bit of spice, cherry, power and finesse at the same time with a great mouth feel that makes the wine just slide down your mouth. Dark red color and very long finish. If you like wine with flavor, this is a GREAT choice. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker