Upcoming visit to Napa: Seeking True Distinction.

Second Quixote if you want something unusual and still tasty. The only Hundertwasser building in North America, as I recall. I think, though, you will be more successful with ‘off the beaten path’ sort of wineries as you head north in napa (excluding the jumble between Oakville and St. Helena on Hwy 29). Storybook Mtn and Mayacamas are nice as you get way north, and Diamond Mountain might be a region to look at as well.

+1

This is the not napa napa experience. The wines are better than really good too.

Mayacamas is a pretty amazing place to visit. Back some years ago we were at Jarvis in the morning and Mayacamas in the afternoon. What a contrast. That day made me hate Jarvis and love Mayacamas. It is worth the drive up the mountain.

Try Stony Hill. They make only whites and they are all excellent.

I’d second Pott, though I don’t think I would characterize them as bizarre…just distinctive, full of character and depth. Absolutely worth a try; I loved our visit.

For unique visits I would have to say Smith-Madrone is a riot.

Also how can you not visit with David Long @ David Arthur. His tastings are legendary

While you’re up there:

1. See if you could get someone in the Fisher family to pour you [u]their Spring Mountain Syrah[/u], and

2. Walk over broken glass to get an appointment at [u]Philip Togni[/u].