Update: FEDERAL INDICTMENT - Safe Harbour Wine Storage and Bill Holder – CRIMINAL

I assume Neal was talking about the statute of limitations. I’m not sure about criminal law, but in civil suits, federal fraud statutes (e.g., securities fraud) incorporate state SOLs as I recall (from many, many years ago). So a civil securities action brought in federal court involving fraud in NY will incorporate NY state’s six-year SOL, while a federal suit involving fraud in another state could have a shorter SOL.

It’s stuff like this that keeps law professors occupied. I remember it because of a case where the partner I worked for sent our client a framed copy of the NY six-year SOL when the six years had run on possible claims against him. [wink.gif]

To this non-lawyer, SOL takes on an entirely different meaning in the context of this thread.

After a certain date, depending upon state or federal jurisdictions, the meaning of SOL changes from legal to vernacular.

Or, rather, the two merge.

Hey Todd - just read this for the first time. I’m in Baltimore so whenever you want to share a bottle, let me know. In case you’ve switched over to only beer, one of my good friends is the head brewer at Peabody Heights and I can hook you up.

Free long-term storage, like at Premier Cru?

I think the only people that still have wine stored at Safe Harbour are people that have not been able to get their wine out. I have spoken to a number of people that have recently gotten access by someone other than Bill Holder and what they are finding - pallets of their wine boxes shrink wrapped. When they have opened them there is nothing in them. We are talking cases of 1st growths, etc that people have been storing with Bill for years before he started his criminal activity a couple of years ago. He had operated a viable and legitimate business for 20+ years before his criminal activity. The gig is up with Bill and the end is near. People that think they have wine left there will find out that nothing is left.

What a maggot.

I will also contribute bottles gratis for a dinner if you come to Chicago or find yourself passing through…

As Todd has stated, none of Bills wrong doings has shown up until a couple of months ago for some of us. Yes I’m included in this, but not giving any details for now. But I will say that if you or anyone you know has wine stored there, you should do what ever is needed to get it out…If it is there

Russell is a good man and has helped people get their wine out or what is left of it from Safe Harbour. He got screwed like many but has been willing to help others determine what, if anything, is left.

An awful human being. I have customers that have known him for years, from the beginning, and he screwed them over for thousands upon thousands of $$$.

More like 100,000 of thousands!

I’m going to say in the millions as far as I know, Just one other and myself are in the 600,000.00 area. Hopefully something coming soon as far as more info, will keep updating

I’ve had my wines at Safe Harbour since mid 2015; since moving to MD. Ended up purchasing a home that didn’t have large enough doors to be able to get my self contained storage unit inside, barely fit in the garage.

Just found out yesterday what was going on and today retrieved about half my wines, what was left, will go back Saturday to get the rest. Estimating approx 5 cases gone:

Freemark Abbey Cabernet verticals
Nickel and nickel Cabernet verticals
Mondavi Cabernet veryicals
Kongsgaard cabernet and Syrah verticals
Assorted California powerhouse Syrahs

Everything else I had was eclectic; been in the business for almost 20 years and had stuff I liked that needed aging

Barley wines (beer)
Large assortment of dessert wines
California big zinfandels.

Basically a lot of stuff no one else would want. Will start inventorying tonight, we’ll see…

Sorry to hear. This whole situation sucks. Some of us had to spend money on legal fees to get access only to find out he robbed us clean. If only someone would have posted something two years ago when the original false “theft” report occurred we all might not have lost as much. I am pretty confident he sold off a bunch of our stuff to settle with AIG on the civil suit originating from that incident.

Heard there was an eviction notice served and power might be getting turned off shortly. Recommend anyone who still has wine there and stumbles across this thread to get it out ASAP. PM my brother or myself if you need contact of another local storage company to do pickup. They are doing a pickup there on Monday from what I hear.

The management company has filed for an eviction of Bill. I spoke to lacie yesterday to ask about timing. Lacie wasn’t certain but she said they aren’t usually very speedy. I wanted to make sure I would not be either locked out or the rest of my wines would be gone.

Yes, I agree, too bad the previous “burglary” wasn’t public knowledge. I hope that we all file police reports for what was stolen. I plan to as soon as I finish inventorying Saturday.

There is another wine storage company having a similar fight with an insurance company over missing wine. No need to PM me … just read the various threads here as its been discussed on WB a while ago.

I’m a subscriber to the ‘when there’s smoke, look for fire’ theory…

I only heard about what was going on on Wednesday of this week, September 5th. I had about 35 cases of wine stored at Safe Harbour. I picked them all up, half on Thursday and the balance today. Bill got me for approximately 10 cases:

2 cases of Kongsgaard Cabernet and Syrahs
2-4 cases of Freemark Abbey Cabernets back to 2004
1 case of Mondavi Cabernets including some Opus
2 cases of Nickel and Nickel Syrah, Merlot and Zin
The other couple cases were 2-3 bottles of tokjai, port, great pinots, syrahs, tawny port

Disgusted!

2 others went today to see what was left, between them 900,000.00 is gone. One was 700,000.00 alone. Still a couple more left that have not been contacted as of yet. It is over the 2 million mark at this point, and that is just the ones that I have met or heard about. Makes me want to throw-up every time I meet someone else, or think about it.