UPDATES: Cab Sauv Suggestions in the AFWE realm

Not “traditional”, but lighter…and fun: Neverland.

While there are definitely some great wines being named, I think something to avoid for the OP might be firm tannin (he edited the post but ‘Cab for a Pinot drinker’ was the original request).

This was where my mind went first as well. Very cool climate, restrained Cab.

I’ve found a couple off-the-beaten-path domestic producers recently with reasonable alcohol levels and where the winemaker seems to pick at the right time and get out of the way of the grapes afterward.

From Southern Oregon, Trium wines make a 100% cab that’s $38 and drinks quite lightly. Their bordeaux blend is $28 and is only 13.7% alc. that I think I actually prefer.

In Walla Walla, Basel Cellars makes a 13.2% alc Cab that displays excellent typicity for $36, I tried 5 or 6 of their wines and would have had no problem picking which grapes they used blind they were so spot-on, the Syrah was medium-bodied with black pepper and roasted meat, the merlot was that great dusty WA merlot, the carmenere was earthy, and their cab had just that hint of herbs and green pepper.

I think Rivers Marie makes somewhat modern, extracted wines. Just my opinion though.

There are good Cali cabs out there in this style, many of which have been mentioned, but it sounds like the OP really wants Bordeaux and just doesn’t know where to start. My suggestion is to search here for a bordeaux values thread and then buy some $20-50 Bordeaux. Bordeaux volumes for many producers are very large so back vintages can often be found for about the same price as current vintages. Buy some Lanessan, Cantemerle, Senejac, etc. These are really inexpensive wines that can be easily explored to see if you like them. If you search old bordeaux threads here and see a producer mentioned over and over they are likely worth a try. At the price the risk is minimal, unlike a lot of Napa cabernet.

Also, maybe try some Loire valley cabernet franc. Baudry, Breton and Joguet are all widely available.

For Napa cabs, Mount Eden, Smith-Madrone, Mayacamas are all good bets. Heitz is decent too and widely available.

If you’re moving outside of California, then try Powers Champoux, up in Washington.

http://www.badgermtnvineyard.com/powers/champoux_vineyard.html

I’m not really sure why I didn’t start with Bordeaux. It’s just more daunting than New World regions.

I’m open for anything, I have a nice list of 10 or so wines from you guys now. If I had asked for Bordeaux, I feel like the list would be 100+ suggestions!

You might try Napanook (Dominus’ second label), Togni, Laurel Glen, or Andersons Conn Valley.

I generally prefer Bordeaux, but those are some North Coast cabs that I think are made in more balanced fashions. Togni’s price has ascended above the max you suggested however.

Some of Ramey’s bottlings might fit the bill, but I’ve only had a few, so don’t know if they’re AFWE friendly.

This. The nose on Corison cabs is fantastic…floral, which is a trait I like in my PNs.

Brandon, you are going to have to taste through them and let us know what you think. My own personal opinion is that the recommendations here are widely divergent styles and it will be interesting to hear your “results”.

Brandon,

it sure sounds like the Enfield Fort Ross Cab could be right up your alley. It was very much made to reflect a more classic period of California Cab - It’s 13.7%, 25% WC, pretty aromatics and fresh acid from a pretty remarkable vineyard. DCorrnutt. posted a similar thread, maybe you could reach out to him and see if it is what you’re looking for.

I am well known as an unabashed Enfield Wine Co. fan, but given that I still would encourage you to try the Enfield Cabernet.

I have never had one that is. Well made? I suppose. I can see why people might like them. But very much in the rich-and-big-Napa-cab vein

Dehlinger Claret and Estate.

Check out Gramercy in Walla walla

Agreed. The wines are typically quite rich and ripe.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of the Claret, but even that is unlikely to be perceived (by others) as in the AFWE camp. These linger a long time on our local shelves, seem to have a hard time finding cellars to take them in.

For what it’s worth, I remember tasting the Claret a couple years ago without knowing anything about it other than it was a Napa Cab from a producer whom makes Chards that do nothing for me… and being pleasantly surprised. Was it way into AFWE territory? No, but I thought it was surprisingly restrained.

Give Hobo Alexander Valley CS a shot, which is under $30.

Another vote for Corison and I’ll add Scherrer.

While I haven’t had Trujillo I liked the wines he used to make at Karl Lawrence very much. Certainly some Napa ripeness but very well balanced.