US Chardonnay Producer Recommendations

Based on OPs current likes, I’d add DuMol, Varner, Brewer Clifton and Hartford Court.

Thanks Kris

COYG!!

If you want to cellar U.S. chardonnay, I’d recommend Mount Eden.

Some great producers with different styles:

Liquid Farm, Rivers-Marie, Smith-Madrone, Montelena, Auteur, Sojourn, Hanzell.

I’ll second Hartford Court, but I’ve been drinking Dutton-Goldfield for a decade and my favorite Chardonnay is still a 12+ year old Rued Vineyard (specifically, it’s the Green Valley of the RRV – you get green apple from these when they’re young). I cellar these deliberately. They taste on the tart side to me at 4-8 years old (depending on the vintage), are very lovely at 10, and really shine at 12-15+ years. One of my “aha” wines. They tend to taste slightly acidic when young and integrate and mature beautifully over time.

Another in the Russian River Valley I recommend is Inman Family Wines. While I first met Kathleen Inman during a RRV Winegrower’s association tasting some 5-7 years ago, I still remember her Chardonnay, which was delightful and highly appealing to the red wine drinkers in my family. It was drinking very well even young, and I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a bottle today.

I would add Paul Lato from Santa Maria and Ketan Mody (Beta), if you can find it. In my experience, they make both camps pretty happy.

Enfield makes some great chard that will take some age.

I’m a big fan of Peter Michael’s. As well as Aubert and Kistler. But, for better QPR, I go for Goodfellow (very, very nice), Liquid Farm (ok, I like the Four) and my new favorite EIEIO which I found during the January Berserker event.

+1

Also, I really enjoy Domaine Drouhin Arthur and Belle Pente’s BP Vineyard Chard.