US merlot

+1

I would add Northstar to the mix for Washington merlot. They specialize in great Merlot, at an excellent price point.

To echo other posts about right bank Bordeaux, usually blends with Merlot the predominant grape. With that in mind, check out Blackbird Vineyards. The Arise and Illustration bottlings are Merlot dominant blends. If you’re not in the Napa area, the Arise will probably be your best bet to find somewhere else. Huge fan of these Aaron Pott wines, along with the other Cab Franc heavy wines out of Blackbird.

I would add Selene to the list, well structured and built for the long haul.

Agree on the Washington State Merlots. Also, another “big boy” is Paradigm Merlot made by Heidi Peterson Barrett, who as you all know, once was the winemaker for Screaming Eagle.

And then, there is always Amuse Bouche. neener

They can be pretty splendid. And the price is a function of the tiny quantities, like La Tache.

FYI, Lafleur is about 50-50 merlot/cab franc while Petrus is 95+% merlot.

Beringer Bancroft Merlot
Bookwalter Merlot
Pedestal Merot
Pahlmeyer Merlot

4 above are among best in North America IMO.

As with others, I’d recco Pahlmeyer, Beringer Bancroft, Mayacamas, Northstar, and older Duckhorn.
We had a 94 Pahlmeyer blinded on us a month back and it was really a pleasant surprise.

I’ve always been a fan of Paloma Merlot up on Spring Mountain

The most impressive US Merlots I`ve had recently came from:
2005 Berringer Bancrofrt
2007 Hourglass Blueline
2001 Duckhorn Napa
1996 Ridge West Vineyard.

All were true treasures and in a blind format, I expect they would be a fav of most who sample them without knowing the country, region, producer and source.

Frostwatch

Farella

and another vote for Blackbird Arise.

Thanks everyone for all the great recommendations.

I will try some of these wines with my friend. Hopefully it will change his opinion on new world merlot