US passport renewal delays.

I just renewed mine. It only took 6 weeks to receive. Less than I expected.

Hi Leslie- did you expedite ?

Nope. Just sent regular mail.

Summer is the worst time to renew.
Keep track of those expiration dates!

Global Entry is also log jammed. But they will keep it valid for 6 months after renewal date because of backlog.

I think mine took 6 months. sent in 12/20

We also sent our renewals 12/20 but received passports in April I think.

Good Morning America yesterday said there is a 2 million passport backlog.
That’s almost not believable

Welcome to 2020.

Oh, wait,…

Keep your valid passport in a safe place. Replacement seems no easier than renewal.

Passport has until 9/2023 so hopefully the backlog is cleared by Jan/2023 when I try to renew

Global entry expires July 2022. Will work on that soon. Wouldn’t want to have to stand in lines to get back into the country.

TPG sticky 13 things you need to know about Global Entry - The Points Guy
Like you I need to renew GE next summer Renewing your Global Entry? CBP is allowing select travelers to schedule remote interviews - The Points Guy if you apply for renewal prior to expiration you’re automatically extended for two years. I haven’t been able to verify that on the CBP website. Maybe Flyer talk is more help.
There is also a remote interview for renewals being piloted.

BTW, was the GE renewal ban for NY residents removed?

If I need it for May 2022, thinking of sending October and paying expedite fee just to get closer to the front of the line.

Only if “passport” picture taken on January 6.

I would expect. It was a last gasp of hate Trump rule and it may have even been challenged and beaten during his term…

Update - Eligibility for NYers was restored in July of 2020

Shot down by the courts after CBP had no valid reasons for the ban. DHS Allows New Yorkers to Apply for Global Entry Again

We always hire an agency for passport renewal and visas. They make sure the passport gets back when promised and in time for trips. Worth every $ I pay even though I could do it myself for less.

They’re working on the backlog: State Dept. Promises 'Surge' Staffing to Confront Unprecedented Passport Backlog and Wait Times - Government Executive

No referral?