USA Chardonnay that might impress a French zealot of white Burgundy?

How about Stony Hill?

[rofl.gif]

If not Walter Scott, Goodfellow (Richardā€™s or Durant work) or Eyrie Original Vines

Kistler chard with some age. Can top the greatest Meursault IMHO.

Kevin, perfect description.

Off the top of my head Iā€™d toss in Liquid Farm.

1 Like

Walter Scott X Novo
Cameron Clos Electrique
Kutch (any)
00 Wines VGW
Rhys Horseshoe
Tyler (any)

Ramey Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay

+1 on Tyler.

Lots of good recs here. Iā€™d also toss in Arnot-Roberts, especially from Trout Gulch. Probably a bit closer to the Chablis side of white burgundy.

Ramey Hyde and Three Sticks Durell are my top choicesā€¦

2nd that. Distinctive style that still appeals to the Francophile palate.
Most of the above choices are IMHO solid too.

Iā€™ll 5th or 8th or whatever Mount Eden Estate, especially with bottle age.

And although itā€™s way way under the radar, Ridge Monte Bello.

And the Santa Cruz Mountains in general.

Dan Kravitz

Iā€™ve been frustrated with Ridge Chardonnay as a whole - the oak is so strong, the only French comparison Iā€™d give it is young Raveneau, which has a huge oak treatment as well, from what I recall

Ridge use American oak on the chardonnay? I donā€™t like AO on the zinā€¦

Morgen Long!!!

Inspried by Roulot. Doesnā€™t get much better than that.

Also, Lingua Franca Chardonnay AVNI 2018. Made by Lafon, and total Meursault look alike.

2 Likes

They need 8-12 years.

1 Like

The '19s from Sandar & Hem are going to blow people away. SVDs from various SCM subregions. Just bottled, so not sure when theyā€™ll be released.

Absolutely, the wine is very long lived. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever had one any younger than that. For Santa Cruz Mountain Chardonnays in general, even at the entry level these wines are best at 5 years or more. The Ridge Estate Chardonnay is probably a little less oaky and matures a little sooner than the Monte Bello.

Dan Kravitz

Go to the other Coast for a leaner, more focused Chardonnay. The Finger Lakes produce very French styled Chardonnays, with many the spitting image of Maconnaise wines.

Honored Ian, but this isnā€™t true. When I was in Meursault, I worked for Brian Sieve at Domaine de Montille in 2012 and 2013. I visited Roulot in 2012, 2013, 2018. I admire Jean-Marc greatly and adore the wines.

1 Like

Glad to see you posting here! I think I have a mixed case that just arrived :slight_smile: