Uuni2 - new pizza oven in town!

Thanks and I’ll report back when I get mine up and running.

Mine came in last night. I will give her a test run this weekend.

There is a blog link on the order page with a dough recipe if you’re interested.

Dennis are you turning your pies or leaving them as is.

I watched some videos on you tube and it is showing people turning them around 30-45 seconds? you seem to have them browning pretty even so wanted to see what you were doing

I think I’ll be getting one of these soon… I used to have a weber kettle I hacked to sit on top of a bayou classic burner that worked well but this looks like a nice cheap (and portable) alternative to a big build or much more expensive oven.

I read that the Uuni2s was supposed to have a gas burner in the works but it seems that didn’t happen.
Link: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42123.25

Mark,
Yes. Pay close attention once you drop a pie. Need to turn every 30 seconds or so when you have a full flame and oven shows 800 degrees or so. That buffalo chicken pie pictured above with the heavily charred side shows what happens if you snooze for a bit.
I try to rotate frequently. Once you get the feel, you’ll figure out a rhythmn.
Also, I throw the pie off of wood and remove/turn using the Uuni steel peel. I tried making pies on and dropping off Uuni peel, but the dough would stick. Wood is better for loading imo
Good luck!

I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying an Uuni. Already have a pellet smoker so no new fuel to buy.

For those that have had one a few years what’s your verdict?

We love to sous vide steaks and I’ve seared them in my Weber Kettle and a stovetop cast iron. Thinking I might use the Uuni for that so it’s not a single purpose cooker, which I avoid. Anyone have experience using it for things other than pizza?

Edit to add: am I better off spending half the money and getting a Kettle Pizza awful for my Weber Kettle?

They have an LP gas verion of this now. Quoted temp is 932F/500C. Anyone here tried it?

They also have a gas burner for the uuni 3.

mine shows up tomorrow. was looking for something to do very hot sears in the backyard. This works and now I can do pizzas too.

Got an uuni pro for Xmas and absolutely love it! I have only used it to cook steaks once and they seared up just fine. One thing to consider if you use a cast iron pan without a removable handle (uuni makes one, terrible quality) in the oven consider getting a serious set of gloves ie welding gloves as a pan between 900-1000 degrees is not exactly cool to the touch with the gloves they provide.

57348074_2139053979482440_4858624050714378240_n.jpg
Ooni

The Uuni is a great pizza oven that can get up to a crazy high temp, I don’t see how the Kettle Pizza could compete with it. I have had problems searing low temp steaks in the Uuni though. The steaks come out great but the stone base has cracked on me twice. Not sure if it was moisture from the steak or fat that made hot spots on the stone but if searing in it you should definitely use a cast iron pan. The best move is to get a steel base for it instead of the stone that comes with it. Bakingsteel.com sells a base that is made specifically to fit the Uuni, you may have to call them and let them know you are looking for the one that fits your oven. They aren’t the cheapest and they are heavy but they really make the oven work to its best potential. The way the pizza cooks on steel is different than other materials, and to me it really makes a improvement to the crust. I have learned that with such high heat that I need to let the steel cool down some between pizzas, I leave the door off for a bit to let out some heat. Also with the steel you don’t have to worry about it cracking, throw anything on it. Asparagus comes out amazing!

I have had my uuni for over 2 years. It lives outside even in New England winters. Since we are empty nesters now, I use the Uuni to roast meats, fish, veggies for 2. My biggest change was to add a baking steel. It gets intensely hot and you have to be more on top of rotating pizzas to avoid bottom burning.

The only bad part is that my wife is no longer eating gluten so making pizza for one is not fun.