Venice (Italy) help for a first timer

Marshall, if you’re in the mood for a bit of an excursion, I recommend Venissa (http://www.venissa.it) on the island of Mazzorbo, near Burano, in the lagoon. We had an excellent dinner there last week while on a three day visit, eating outdoors on a spectacular summer evening near the vineyards which the proprietors have planted to reintroduce the local Dorona grape to the lagoon.

We went back to a couple of old favorites too - Corte Sconta, near the Arsenale, which we love as much for the warmth of the staff as for the food which is generally very good, and, like Mark, to Alla Madonna for lunch. We missed Alle Testiere, which was closed for summer vacation, but which is “don’t miss” for me when its open.

Enjoy

Peter

Venice has the reputation as something of a culinary wasteland. It is not a place one associates with fine dining, certainly not when compared to other regions of Italy such as Emilia Romagna, Tuscany and Piemonte. There is much truth to this observation, and more so when one realizes that many of the restaurants in Venice exist for the sole reason in feeding masses of tourists quickly, many of whom will never be back. There is little incentive, then, for restaurateurs and chefs to take pride in what they serve. The irony, of course, is that Venice and the region of the Veneto is rich in food products, most notably fish and seafood from the Lagoon and Adriatic, and vegetables from the islands. Rather than take advantage of this bounty, cynical restaurateurs have for many decades resorted to using, among other abominations, frozen fish imported from Asia and frozen and canned vegetables that can come from anywhere. Indeed, a seemingly dire situation for those interested in a good meal.

Can one eat well in Venice? Yes, if one is resourceful and does the requisite research. Some twenty-five years ago, a number of concerned restaurateurs and chefs met to discuss the state of Venetian cuisine. They were, of course, well aware of the sad reputation of their beloved cuisine. Ideas were discussed, and after much back and forth, the Ristoranti della Buona Accoglienza (literally, “restaurants of good/excellent welcome/hospitality”) was born. The twelve to fifteen restaurants that belong to this organization vow to preserve the integrity of Venetian cuisine, using excellent local products, good/great wine lists, a good price quality ratio, and warm hospitality. The visitor in search of true Venetian cuisine can find brochures of the Ristoranti della Buona Accoglienza in tourist offices (one of which is in the Santa Lucia train station), tobacco shops, and in the member restaurants themselves. It can also be found online.

The culinary ethos of Italy centers on impeccable products cooked simply so the natural taste of the ingredient shines. Vegetables, for example, are often dressed with nothing more than a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and a dash of herbs. Treated as such, a zucchini tastes like a zucchini, and a tomato like a tomato. Grilled fish is treated in the same way. Italian cuisine does not attempt to transform a product, save for the Michelin starred places in Italy that offer a more international style of cooking.

The bounty from the Venetian Lagoon and Adriatic is astounding for its variety. Go to the Rialto fish market early in the morning and see the range of fish and seafood caught the night before. One evening at Alle Testiere, I asked Luca if he could find razor clams for the following evening’s dinner. He said he would try. The next morning, I saw him at the Rialto fish market, choosing, among other things, razor clams. He saw me, smiled, and said “for your dinner tonight.” Priceless. The razor clams were quickly sauteed in olive oil and garlic, and finished with a dash of parsely. I can still taste it as I write it.

With so much fish and seafood on offer, the white wines of the Veneto and neighboring Friuli are recommended. Winemaking in the region has improved over the years, and if one drinks local wines, they are often quite good and affordable. Don’t forget Prosecco, grown in Treviso in the Veneto region. Vini da Gigio, a member of the Buona Accoglienza, has an astounding wine list that features not only the wines of the region, but strays farther afield if your tastes run to Toscana and Piemonte.

As a caution, not all of the restaurants listed in the Ristoranti della Buona Accoglienza live up to their guarantee all of the time. Fiaschetteria Toscana, for example, can provide rude service because they are always full. Their wine list is not updated regularly, the cooking can be tired, and their quality price ratio tips in favor of price.

Avoid the restaurants in the vicinity of the Piazza San Marco and Rialto that advertise tourist menus. The menus are written in five or six languages, and the tariff is relatively cheap. If it sounds too good to be true…

And then there is Harry’s Bar, the former haunt of Hemingway and Orson Welles. Mostly everyone who visits Venice at one time or another either has a drink there, eats lunch or dinner, or sticks their heads in so they can say they went to Harry’s Bar. It’s been coasting on its reputation for decades, and why not, when the lure of Hemingway or spotting a celebrity fills the imagination of those for whom Venice has a romantic appeal. I went twice during my first ever trip, once to drink their famed Bellini (invented at Harry’s Bar) and once to eat dinner. A proper Bellini is made using the puree of fresh white peaches and Prosecco. White peaches are in season in Spring and early Summer, and I doubt Harry’s Bar uses it when it is cheaper and faster to use canned peach juice. The latter is what was used when I went in winter. Not only was it expensive (for a small glass!), but tasted pedestrian. Dinner was, let’s say, not memorable. If you have euros to spare and feel like getting fleeced, have a meal at Harry’s Bar. Recent reports by friends confirm that it has not changed its ways.

Other than tips I received from the locals, the Buona Accoglienza has always been my guide to culinary nirvana. It’s worth consulting.
One can, after all, eat well, indeed, very well, in Venice.

The next post will detail the darker aspects of commerce in Venice.

Venice is one of the most visited cities on earth, attracting some 20 million people annually. The crush of tourists is greatest in spring, summer and early autumn. Venice’s economy is built around tourism, and city officials recognize that tourism is the engine that propels the commerce and livelihood of the city. It is inevitable that when a city is so dependent on tourism for its survival, many of its merchants, hoteliers and restaurateurs will resort to deceit and unethical behavior that can quickly put a damper on a visitor’s vacation. Deception is so widespread in Venice that many tourists, who have been taken, have their tales of woe. To be sure, there is virtually no violent crime, if at all, in Venice. After all, where is a person who commits violence going to hide in a city like Venice? In the close to 40 times I’ve been to Venice, I never read once, in the local newspaper, or heard in conversations with locals in wine bars, of violent crimes being committed. Instead, what the unsuspecting visitor will encounter are pickpockets, scammers, scoundrels and other assorted miscreants whose only goal is to separate one from as many euros as possible.

Misfortune can strike even before one sets foot in Venice. Pickpockets operate in Venice Marco Polo Airport and the Santa Lucia train station. Their cover is crowds of people and the distracted minds of tourists who are trying to get their bearings straight. These folks are good at what they do, and they can relieve one of one’s wallet in an instant. In Venice itself, pickpockets operate on the vaporetti, the area around San Marco Square, and the Rialto. Tourists who board the vaporetti with their luggage are usually so entranced at seeing Venice by boat that they become instant marks.

A word about taking the overnight train into Venice. Thieves have been known to enter the locked cabins of sleeping passengers and steal their money. That’s how good they are at what they do. There is some suspicion that the conductors are in on it, as they have keys to every cabin. Equally unsettling, however, is that if you are on an overnight train to Venice, the conductor will ask for your passport, ostensibly to record your info, and keep it until the next morning. If in fact conductors are working with thieves, they will know who the Americans are. The one time we traveled on an overnight train, I insisted that the conductor return our passports, and I stood in his cabin, his protestations notwithstanding, until they were returned.

To be continued…

Hotels are normally not places where employees are engaged in scamming their guests. Yet in many hotels in Venice, this is exactly what has been happening for decades. The principals in this scheme are front desk personnel and concierges on the Venice side, and the glass blowing factories located on the island of Murano on the other side. The fraud starts innocently enough, and goes like this. A guest(s) is asked if he or she would like a free trip to Murano to see how the famous glass of Murano is made. At first glance, this is an enticing proposition, and a way to spend an interesting part of the day. The guest(s) is told to go to a certain vaporetto stop where a boat, provide by the glass factory, is waiting to depart at a certain time. At the pier, the guest sees other guests from the hotel waiting to board, as well as guests from other hotels. On arrival in Murano, the group is met at the pier by a well-dressed rep from the factory and shepherded to the facility. There, a demonstration of glass blowing is given, along with a commentary in English by the rep. Purely from an artistic point of view, the demonstration is quite fascinating, and the group is told that Murano glass has been made in the same way for centuries.

After the demo is over, the group is quickly led to the factory showroom, where they are met by salespeople who proceed to persuade them to buy. Their pitches are aggressive and intimidating, and if one has difficulty in saying “no,” one will be taken for a ride. Buying Murano glass from these factories is expensive, and the same glass can be found in Venice for a much lower price. If one buys, the factory offers to send the glass to your home. I have been told by some that when the parcel arrives, what is inside is not what they bought. Inferior glass is substituted instead. This is a scam and a bait and switch rolled into one. What happens if some in the group resist the hard sell and decline to buy? They are left to find their way back to Venice. Front desk personnel and concierges have been confronted by some outraged guests, and their usual response is a shrug. What do they care, as long as they get their cut from the factory, and in all likelihood will never see the same guests again.

If you are interested in seeing a demonstration of glass blowing, decline the hotel’s invitation and take the vaporetto on your own to Murano. You can walk into any of the glass factories to see a demo for free, and afterwards, a salesperson will approach you to buy, but the pitch will not be aggressive. Just walk out. You can spend a nice morning and afternoon walking and taking in the sights in Murano, and when it is time to head back to Venice, no one will deny you entry into a vaporetto.

The next post will describe scams perpetrated by some restaurants.

Marshal is from the Bronx, he won’t succumb to buying pressure. Never thought of the glass factory as a scam, just a free deluxe version one way ride to Murano. Perhaps it’s tougher if you don’t know it’s a one way ride.

Great timing with this thread; I’ll be there in a couple of weeks.
Any other restaurants in addition to Osteria alle Testiere in Castello and Enoteca Ai Artisti in Dorsoduro?

Thanks!!!

http://www.ristoranteriviera.it/mobile/eng/ristorante.htm

The whole fish for two in salt crust is the dish to order. We ate there twice last year.

I’m a huge fan of Fiaschetteria Toscana. Usually go there twice per trip, along with Ai Testiere and Da Fiore.

Perhaps Peter has been more often; but I haven’t had the subpar experiences he has in about the 8 times I’ve been there.Perhaps having my swanky hotel make the reservation made a difference.

Two recommendations in Dorsoduro:

A local in the wine bar I frequent told me to try Pane Vino e San Daniele, located in the Campo dell’Angelo Raffaele. In winter, the place is packed with locals and students. Although the menu strays into other regions of Italy, their specialty is the cuisine of Friuli, and I suggest you stick with this. Start with a platter of the renown Prosciutto di San Daniele, which is produced only in the Friuli region. The San Daniele is a bit sweeter than its cousin, Prosciutto di Parma, owing to a shorter salting time and longer aging time. Wine is taken seriously here.

The other rec is Trattoria ai Cugnai, which serves traditional Venetian food prepared as your Venetian mother or grandmother would. Lots of fish and seafood on the menu. The women who run the place can be a hoot, serving up brusque service along with a wink.
Packed with locals in winter.

Just as some hotels conspire with the glass factories in Murano to scam their guests, hotels engage in similar schemes with restaurants.
It is not unusual for hotel guests anywhere to ask front desk personnel or concierges for restaurant recommendations. In Venice, there is a risk in doing so because some (if not many) hotels have arrangements with certain restaurants where for every guest sent there, a kickback is given. Some hotels even entice guests with offers of discounted meals at certain restaurants. If you are sent to a restaurant and happen to see (many) guests from your hotel there, you have a decision to make. To be sure, not all hotels send their guests to tourist restaurants in exchange for kickbacks. But enough do that it is preferable to do your own research and eat in those places that serve true Venetian cuisine at a good price to mainly locals or a mix of locals and visitors.

In the area around the Piazza San Marco and the Rialto, you will see waiters and owners standing outside their restaurants shamelessly hawking their “culinary” wares. They will go right up to people and point to their restaurants with promises of authentic cuisine at a good price. The restaurants in the Rialto are especially egregious, with waiters even following people and making aggressive pitches. Those who succumb are shown to a table outside or inside, whereupon the waiter or owner tries to upsell the customer on certain items like a whole fish. If you consent, the final bill will be much higher than what is quoted before you walk in. If you have sticker shock at seeing the bill and protest, the waiter will say that the fish is priced according to weight rather than piece. It is a known fact that many of the restaurants that cater to tourists serve frozen fish and other inferior foodstuffs. No wonder Venice has such a bad reputation for cuisine. The irony, of course, is that Venice offers a bounty of fresh fish and seafood available from the lagoon and Adriatic, and a harvest of vegetables from the islands.

One other matter to keep in mind. As a general rule, count your change in cafes and restaurants, especially those around the Piazza San Marco and the Rialto. If you are on an overnight train to Venice, and eat in the dining car, count your change as well.

Next post will offer some insights into the Caffe Florian and Gran Caffe Quadri, two famous cafes in the Piazza San Marco, and the dueling orchestras associated with each cafe.

Peter, these reports have been extremely interesting. Thank you for taking the time to post them (and for scaring the bejeesus out of me)

The pleasure is mine, counselor. If these posts can be of help to Marshall or anyone here who travels to Venice, the effort will have been worth it. In the future I may do similar posts on Hong Kong, where I spent ten summers as a kid with relatives, and China, where I lived for five years.

Well, we don’t have dates yet, but I plan on going back soon, and these posts are a very useful resource

Echoing the comments. Peter’s posts are a wonderful resource to understand the pitfalls that mass tourism generates, and how to avoid the worst abuses that allow an individual to be scammed. For those that learnt the hard way, they may avoid future scams, but there are thousands that will follow.

I should add that not als of Italy is like this, and I’ve encountered remarkable generosity, especially when a long way from the mass tourist trail. Likewise my evening class Italian tutor for two years, was a Venetian and also one of the kindest. most supportive people you could hope for. My view remains that it is not the Venetians (or the Pisani etc.) that are the problem, but rather it is us the tourists, especially when we allow our ignorance to guide us to the well-trodden mass tourist trail.

regards
Ian

I am glad someone posted about the “other” side of Venice. I found Venice interesting, but way too touristy and not as authentic, if I can use that word, compared to other parts of Italy. Go, enjoy, but don’t exclude seeing the rest of country. The other areas will present an interesting contrast to this ancient Disneyland.

While I am in complete agreement that Venice has become touristy, it has not lost its authenticity if one visits in the off season. This means late November to early March. I have always preferred Venice in winter, when the local people once again reclaim their beautiful city and imbue it with a spirit that is difficult to sense during tourist season. It is in winter when the visitor can truly appreciate the ethos that defines the city, and understand why it has always been called “La Serenissima” or the “Most Serene Republic of Venice.” In winter, invite yourself to walk the streets and along the canals late at night or very early in the morning, and who knows, perhaps Venice will become your muse as well.

For me, Venice has more “authenticity” than any other city in Italy, and just about any other city in Europe. It is true that there are huge lines, esp in summer, much of the commerce in the city is devoted to the mass-market tourist trade, and the huge cruise ships are a curse, but the fact is that you can see Venice almost precisely as Caravaggio saw it, and you can’t say that about Florence or Rome (or London or Paris or Berlin or Vienna etc). The buildings are the same, the light is the same, the conveyances are (mostly) the same. No cars, no trucks, just water lapping against stone.

I am a history buff, and a lover of art and architecture. There is no place like Venice for me. Comparing it to Disneyland makes no sense at all to me.

We have only visited Venice in winter and love it. Mardi gras in Venice was very interesting and very mellow

The further you can get from the tourist center the more you will enjoy Venice.

Don’t have much of an itinerary, don’t be in a hurry, get lost in the back streets.

There are three cafes in the Piazza San Marco that vie with each other both for fame and for the business of tourists. They are Caffe Florian, Gran Caffee Quadri, and Caffe Lavena. These are grand places in every sense of the word, known not only for their history and formality, but for the sense of awe that many feel when they sit in parlors previously occupied by the famous and infamous. Caffe Florian is the first among equals, and proudly date their birth to 1720. Historically, Caffe Florian was the drawing room of Europe and beyond, attracting famous writers and artists, royalty and aristocracy. It was where assignations were cemented and machinations hatched. Today, it is the home of movie stars and the wealthy, but also draws its share of those who simply wish to sit in a place steeped in history and renown.

Just as old if not older, the Gran Caffe Quadri is opulent and proud, and harkens back to a time when formality and charm defined its reason for being. Quadri also attracted its share of famous writers and artists, and those who were accustomed to being pampered. The old world charm still exists here today, but juxtaposed with the oftentimes jarring scene that is the Piazza San Marco. There is a Michelin starred restaurant called Ristorante Quadri that adjoins the caffe and offers a more modern interpretation of Italian and Venetian cuisine.

Whereas Caffe Florian and Gran Caffe Quadri face each other on the square, Cafe Lavena sits around the corner. It claims a history that also dates back to the 18th century, and its habitues were musicians, composers, writers and intellectuals. Wagner was said to have gone there every day whenever he was in Venice, and it was Wagner who put Lavena on the map.

Although these three caffes are distinct in their personalities, they have one thing in common. You will pay dearly for the privilege of sitting indoors or outdoors, whether you have an espresso or a meal. This is Venice, after all, where the price of something is calculated on mass appeal and history.

When the sun begins to set on the Piazza San Marco and the crowds begin to diminish, the Piazza transforms into a concert hall of sorts as well as a dance floor. That’s because each of the three gran caffes employs an orchestra to entertain outdoors. The orchestras do not try to play over each other; rather, they take turns making music. It’s a festive time in the Piazza, and lots of people are seen dancing to the music until the bell strikes at midnight, which is when the music stops. The music plays from April to the end of October.

This being Venice, it can cost a small fortune if you decide to sit at any of the caffes to take in the music. If you sit down at say, the Florian when the Florian orchestra is playing, you’ll pay a surcharge. Order something to drink and eat, and well, ka-ching. I have heard that if you sit when the music is not playing at your caffe of choice, that there is no surcharge. How true this is I cannot say other than ask before you sit and check your bill and count your change. You can, of course, spend an evening at the Piazza San Marco listening to music and dancing for free as long as you don’t sit down at any of the caffes. Many do this, and it’s quite a scene.

A final word about caffes throughout Italy. If you sit, you will be charged more than if you stand at the bar to take your coffee. This applies to gran caffes as well as smaller, neighborhood cafes.

The next post will be on visiting the islands.