Very educational blind tasting with Frank Murray and 'book club' - Foretti's in Corona Del Mar, 4/21/21

Awesome lineup, Frank!!! Really enjoyed it and everyone’s company.

Just piling on here, but that 2018 Halcon Sryah Alturas is fantastic. Popped a bottle last night and dropped in a decanter for 30 minutes. The team’s notes above pretty much nail its various attributes, though, I would say it certainly can stand some time. Sure seems to have the acidity, fruit, and structure to call for some age. Will let my other bottles sleep a bit.

Fun night! Enjoyed reading along and learning.

Curtis gifted me a bottle of 2019 Alturas recently and it was excellent: very expressive, deep berry fruit with hints of pepper, creosote and olives (loved the nose!). I found it had more depth than the 2017 and a really nice finish. Immediately went online and bought a few bottles afterwards… maybe I should get a few more =D

We also did a 2017 single blind tasting a couple of months ago with Alturas, Rouchier Luc and La Chave. I can see the St. Joseph call on Alturas but for this tasting both of the Rouchier bottles outshined the Alturas, with the La Chave drinking really beautifully.

1 Like