Vienna Help

Back in Vienna, but on a much shorter hop :frowning:

That said, a buddy and I just killed Bitzinger before our ā€œdinner socialā€ at the hotel. Love their sausages and beer!!!

Andrew,
Looks like fun! BTW I love your Adventures in Paris posts. If youā€™re in the neighborhood, we loved Gasthaus Pƶschl. Located between Stephanplatz and Stadtpark. Local place, no tourists (except us), great specials. We hit it for lunches every day.

Will check the thread again next time Iā€™m here. This trip was a parachute-in for a business review and then off to ZĆ¼rich. We went back to Augustinerkeller for a nightcap and it was a wrap.

Glad youā€™re enjoying the Adventures in Paris thread! Iā€™ve kept it low key and just post on things I think are interesting/different; serious Francophiles are already reading David Lebovitzā€™s blog, which is light years more exciting :slight_smile:

Looking at taking the family to Vienna for a few days the week before Christmas. Whereā€™s the best place to stay?

Cannot speak as a local, but the Le Meridien I was at was on the edge of where Iā€™d want to stay, but an SPG property, so you can dump points if you have them. Rate was 249 euros a night, iirc. Also got a free upgrade, which was nice. Itā€™s a chain, but my room had a real king bed, which is uncommon, based on my travels (on a good day, they jam two twins together).

Last visit, I stayed at the Steigenberger Herrenhof. which was cheaper, but more centrally located. Not bad, but didnā€™t strike me as a big family hotel. Iā€™d go here for the location more than anything else.

Colleague that lives there would recommend the Grand Ferdinand, hands down, if she was bringing her family on vacation. https://grandferdinand.com/ Regardless, enjoy the trip. Depending on the ages of your kids, consider hitting Shweizerhaus and then walking over to the ferris wheel at Prater Carnival grounds.

Hope it helps and again, would defer to the local people; just sharing what Iā€™ve done first-hand :smiley:

We stayed at Hotel Pension Suzanne. Basic euro style hotel in an apartment building. Cheap, clean, well run and centrally located a couple of blocks from the Opera.

When we travel, we try not to stay a business hotels or anonymous chains. And the idea of spending >$300 per night on a room, to _sleep_in, gives me the willies.

Park Hyatt Vienna is a great well located hotel, good choice if you have status with Hyatt.

Stayed in the Marriott, with status and four littles it was perfect. Platinum, so ymmv, but free full breakfast in the restaurant and a reasonable lounge for snacks was pretty appealing with hungry kids and teens. 10-15 min walk iirc to Imperial Palace and Riding School. 10 min to Stephanplatz. Public transport is awesome, so really easy to get to Opera, Kunsthistorisches, and War Museum. We bought weekly passes online before we went. Great value. Never forget them, though. Almost an honor system on trams and transit, but if youā€™re caught by an inspector without a pass the fine is pretty steep.

Hi!

I fondly remember Vienna, I went thereā€¦ without anything defined but the hotel I booked, and I do recommend planning something. I did stumble upon fascinating places such as the state administrations of the old Austro Hungarian Empire and on nice restaurants hidden in remote streets, but I did lose myself a couple times and happened to come back to my hotel for my first night there through a district that happened to beā€¦ Viennaā€™s Red Light street! My by-then-not-ex girlfriend didnā€™t find that anecdote funny, for some reasonā€¦ so be careful when visiting a city, make sure to do your research so that you donā€™t get bad surprised.

By the way, when it comes to delicacies, donā€™t forget to try the local beers and to have somme cheese currywurst on the street, and some Cordon Bleu!

Feel the same way. We stayed at the Beethoven Wein. Great location, price, and breakfast.