Vinous worth it - or should I look elsewhere?

We will see how it shakes out. I pulled the cork on a 2013 Peters about three weeks ago. And found no candy.

So Gary York and Bill Klapp are unhappy lovers? :slight_smile:

Strange bedfellows!!!

Yes, that is true. We are both unhappy. Lovers? Not so much.

True. And only unhappy with each other, really, rather than unhappy in general. How could I be unhappy in the Piemonte with the prime white truffle months ahead of me? Moreover, my Vinous subscription expires in three weeks…how could I be unhappy about that? :slight_smile:

It is just that I am having my say, while Gary is having, well, “Your Say”. We are nothing but the unpleasant by-product of open, insightful and vigorous discussion of an issue, with a multiplicity of views brought to the table. It sometimes happens here, but do not fear…there is little threat of it happening on “Your Say”. Gary, let me bury the hatchet, brother, and close with this upbeat thought: “+1”. (And a big “+1” to you, too, Marius, wherever you are…just so you don’t run out!)

Thought about mixing it up a bit? Maybe a subscription to one or two of the sites and a sub to World of Fine Wine for the articles (the digital app gives you access to all their back issues). Or are you interested in a one stop shop?

Well, I was prepared to go several more rounds. But in the interest of peace, I will close with

I don’t subscribe, but I’ve read a lot of Gilman notes on Loire Cab Franc and find his tastes in that region quite aligned with mine. He also reviews some producers that rarely if ever get coverage from the big guys.

Kumbaya, my York, kumbaya
My York, kumbaya.

I think it is the best subscription service out there…my palate actually aligns well with Galloni, Raynolds and the others - not so much with the TWA crew or WS.

I’ve only read Gilman’s articles occasionally, and I find them well written and informative. The articles I have seen have been very interesting and thought provoking. He is, though, highly idiosyncratic in his views. Whether he takes positions contrary to the crowd in order to generate buzz or (as I believe) because that is where his tastebuds take him, you will find that he is routinely out on his own bespoke limb. If you find that you and he are aligned, I am sure it would be enormously rewarding to subscribe. I find myself disagreeing with him too often to find his views on particular wines useful.

Plus he likes that Loire cab franc stuff, which is disqualifying, for him and Alfert both

Quite possibly a vintage thing, or they maybe they have evolved their style a little. Other than a few bottles of 2010 Rhys, I stopped buying cali pinot with the 2009 vintage, so I have not been paying attention.

I do see from the CT photos that the 2013 Anthill Peters is labelled as 13.4 alc - the 2009 reads 14.3.

And on the actual topic I don’t subscribe to anyone. I had IWC for a few years and while Tanzer was alright, I found out Raynolds likes a lot of bigger and riper wines that I haven’t cared much for.

When I look my wines up in CT Gilman scores and drinking windows are shown, and I see he likes a lot of the same wines I do, so I would probably subscribe to him if I was to subscribe to anyone. Chris Kissack would be another option, I guess. Gilman has some crazy drink windows though. And I understand that he is vehemently anti screwcap, while I am not, though I do get that some producers could do a lot better job dealing with potential reduction issues.

+1. I’ve gotten to meet everyone on staff, and they are all super knowledgeable, and more importantly, they make themselves available for interaction.
I love their reviews, and any time someone can publish a video about wine and get me to watch it, you’ve done well. I frequently watch the videos, and I almost never watch videos on wine (pure candor- I rarely find content worth my time, that’s the #1 reason)

I just cannot pull the trigger! I have an anti-critic bias. My interest perked when Schildknecht joined, but I resisted. I just take Gilman’s periodical.

Looking forward to an earthquake here. Neither funny nor clsssy.

I used to align well with Galloni when he was with TWA. Has it changed since he went in his own?

Likes the same type of wines as far as I can tell…

Since I am pretty much done with buying new vintages of Burgundy (except lower level for house wines) but am still backfilling for amusement, I want recent reviews of older wines. Therefore Vinous is pretty worthless to me, since Tanzer, to whom I have subscribed since the early days of the New York Wine Cellar, only reviews new vintages. I subscribe to Gilman and enjoy him…it is unfortunate that his “view from the cellar” articles on older Burg vintages are getting fewer and farther between. I subscribe to Burghound simply for the searchable database since he regularly posts recent notes on older wines. I appreciate that Burghound tastes Oregon and CA Pinot, and I wish Gilman did Oregon as well. I would like his take on the wines…I think both Tanzer and Raynolds are a little too appreciative of all styles including overly ripe CA Pinot for me to completely trust the reviews of CA and Oregon Pinot.

I have very mixed feelings about Vinous. There is a lot of content and the price is in the same range as others. I have always liked Steve Tanzer as a critic and writer. On the other hand, there are almost no blind tastings and the relationships with the producers seem to get cozier and cozier with high scores for all. I don’t trust Galloni’s palate, certainly not in France, particularly Burgundy. The emphasis which is there for all to see is Italy, Italy and then California. Burgundy which is my focus gets relatively little attention. If Tanzer was still independent, I would drop Vinous. Since he is not, I will probably keep my subscription.