Vintages that have surprised you to the upside

2017 North Coast Zinfandel. A very challenging vintage on the North Coast, but most of the Zins I’ve tasted have been excellent.

2011 in California is a vintage that got low marks almost everywhere, but I think it’s a great vintage, at least if you like redder fruits, lower ABV and higher acids.

I think it might be the best zinfandel and Rhone varietal vintage I’ve ever had, for my tastes. It’s also excellent for pinot noir. I haven’t had as many cabs, but, for example, the 2011 EMH Black Cat was great.

No single mention of Barolo so far! I’ll throw in 2005 (at some addresses) and 2007. And 2009 too!

I generally agree with this list, but if I would have narrowed 1964 and 1971 I might have leaned more right bank than left with a few exceptions like Latour. Unless, of course, you are saying that Right Bank performance isn’t surprising.

To throw a new one out—I’ve had some surprisingly decent ‘76 Left Bank Bordeaux—Lafite, Cheval Blanc, Ducru, and PLL. Gruaud Larose was shot, though.

FWIW, I agree on '93 White Burgundy; I’ve come to White Burgundy late and the '93’s are the best I’ve had from the 90’s. Good to know about '06 Red, as I own quite a few. Are people down on '08 Reds or was this just not a surprise? Lucky to have had and have some '85 Bordeaux, always a treat. '79 Bordeaux on backfill have been a find.

Bought a couple of 2006 Denis Bachelet Charmes to try when life returns to normal. They arrived to me storage account and I am not close by.

1995 Bordeaux. I thought they were a bit overrated out of the gate, but my gosh, for my tastes, they are drinking wonderfully now. The 95 Pichon Lalande in particular is absolutely singing these days!

Similar with 94 Bordeaux. Just finished working my way through a mixed case of leoville barton and pontet canet, and they greatly exceeded my expectations. And much less expensive than their ‘95 counterparts.

Yes. Not surprising on the Right Bank.

I’d include 1978 Bordeaux as surprising: those wines have (finally) started to blossom in the last few years from sort of strict and seemingly thin to putting on weight and texture and showing some fruit emerge (35+ years after release) although they will never be blockbusters.

Totally agree on 78’s. 81’s as well. I’ve had a bit less luck with the 79’s other than Figeac and Gruaud, but not with a big sample size.

2003 Barolo. Only had a few and was predisposed to dislike them.

Agreed

1993 Piedmont. 1993 Sandrone Le Vigne was outstanding. From magnum If that mattered but at age 24 it was right in the zone showing beautifully. The Sandrone Cannubi Boschis was also very good. Giacosa Falletto was very good and his Gallina Barbaresco was flat out gorgeous. Wish I could find more wine from this vintage!

Interesting. I randomly picked up a btl of 93 Sandrone CB for cheap not long ago. Now I’m intrigued

Have you tried that 2001 Sociando Cuvee Jean Gautreau yet?

Agree greatly with 01 Bdx left bank. I’ve found them all examples of what makes Bdx great.

Though the OP was not on QPR, the 01s get an additional nod as the prices were cut following the 00s. Paid on 01 futures: Branaire Ducru $25, Montrose $37, Pichon Lalande $50, Pontet Canet $27. I wish I had loaded up my cellar with 01s and been done buying Bdx for good.

I’d love to hear from others on 01 and 04 comparisons. In a Pontet Canet vertical the 04 was the surprise of the night, very aromatic and unanimously liked.

I look forward to hearing how it shows!

It took the longest time - practically a full 20 years, but at GC-level, 1997 red burgundies have begun to be fabulous. I can only hope that 2007 will similarly blossom…

I drank my last 1997 Jayer-Gilles Echezeaux a couple of weeks ago and it was singing, particularly fabulous aromatically.

The vintage that really shocked me over time was 2004 California Central Coast (Pinot, can’t speak to other grapes). It was an absolutely brutal vintage with a sudden heat wave at the end and proved to be challenging for quality vinification. Yet, I’ve had several really nice 2004s in the last 4 or 5 years, particularly Pisoni, Native9 and Loring.

I also happen to be rather a fan of 2001 Bordeaux, but I don’t think it’s any big secret to those in the know.