Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House (11/19 - 11/28)

Oh whatever. [thankyou.gif]

I’m in, as always, compliments to Frank for coming up with a wonderful idea. I will be at home on Friday with a guest. It may well be Cabernet or Mediterranean red weather here in Maine, but sacrifices must be made.

Frank, just make sure your BdN Champagne isn’t Pinot Meunier!

Dan Kravitz

Who’s going to referee this fight, er tasting?

Just read through all of the posts again on this thread and changed my mind - I was going to keep this anonymous, but what the heck, it’s for a great cause.

So you can donate directly to Laura’s House - the form is very easy to navigate (even for a Neanderthal like myself) and they have a comment box in the donation form where you can indicate that the donation is being made “in honor of” Frank Murray and the Wine Berserkers fund raiser - see link below.

https://www.laurashouse.org/why-donate

At the risk of inundating Frank’s inbox, you can PM him after your donation to let him know how much you donated so he can then add that total in to his final/summary post at the end of the campaign. I figured doing it this way was a good way of kickstarting the charity drive so Frank already has “money in the bank” before Friday [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I spoke to Margaret earlier (she posted above) and told her some guys had already started donating. I appreciate this, the trust you put into the charity and the work they do. All you have to do is put Wine Berserkers in your donation comment, as by now, after all these years, they know what that means: wine dorks helping to confront the domestic violence problem.

Truly everyone, thank YOU.

Some actual tasting notes here…

Small backstory first; last week we went right to left coast to visit my mom. She turns 90 around Thanksgiving. We couldn’t figure out a safe risk profile to visit on the holiday so went for Veterans’ Day. Long ago, when dad was still around, I stashed some wine down in the basement. This trip, I pulled a bottle out of that stash.

2005 Thomas Pinot Noir
Color still sound, but fully transparent. Dark cranberry-rust color. Nose shows panoply of leaf litter, cranberry, cherry, tobacco, rhubarb, and a hint of black truffle. Palate is still really fresh with cranberry, cherry, strawberry, overlaying an underlayer of dried leaves and black tea. Finish is medium-long. Really fine example of an aged Thomas that isn’t brett.-infused. Last glass on day 2 was still fine enough.

Tonight (back on the right coast), pulled up:
2004 Felton Road Block 3
Had to decant off moderate amount of fine sediment. This has really tightened up over last showing (which was sort of blowsy). Tart cherry, tobacco, some tomato leaf all show up on the palate with some fennel and celery seed notes framing this fruit. Finish is medium. Color was rust red with full transparency. Really nice showing from what may be my last bottle from a split case of Block 3 and Block 5. Strong testament to this terroir.

Cheers,
fred

1 Like

2 days early, an overachiever eh?

You bet. Frank pays for my habits every year. This year will be no different. Just a shot over the bow.

fred

Fred, looks like you ran into my heavy, BT. He’s watching the door. [d_training.gif] Take as many shots as you want, dude–we’re raising money here. [berserker.gif]

Good morning everyone. The challenge begins today and will run through 11/28. Please refer to the info in Post #1 for context and basic directions on how you can help raise money by opening Pinot Noir-based wines over the next 10 days.

In advance, to those of you who either match or post notes (or both), thank you. The goal here is simple: raise money so that victims can flee abuse, have a safe and confidential place to start over, get legal help and recover. No family should have to experience emotional or physical abuse, and no child should have to watch this happen, to include one parent being murdered. This is the reality of domestic violence, and this is what your efforts here are helping me confront.

Normally I feel a little guilty about early afternoon drinking, but this is for a good cause [cheers.gif]

The 2008 Matello Pinot Noir Souris is drinking great today, with red fruit and spice notes on the nose, and lively acidity on the palate. This is from fellow board member and resident ace winemaker Marcus Goodfellow.

Frank, I also uploaded a picture of the bottle on IG per your instructions there.

Thank you, Bob. Appreciate your support.

To everyone, for clarity… your actual mug needs to be in the picture with the bottle in order for me to double it. I appreciate those of you that take pictures of the bottles but your face has to be in it as my intention here is to increase community by getting out from behind our avatars. This isn’t news for many of you because in past years I made the same comment but I wanted to share that so there’s no confusion.

I recognize that some of you aren’t comfortable putting your picture into a social format and i respect that privacy.

Hiya Frank,
Very generous of you, once again. A question for you: Is there any specific program that you suggest donating to at Laura’s House? I know nothing about the charity, other than you are an evangelist about their work, and I’d like to make a cash donation in support of your efforts. Thanks,

Hi Mark. Thank you very much for your kindness and making the donation. It goes a long way and I think the best way to answer your question would be just to do it under the general donation option. The one thing you can do to help is that if you donate by a credit card then pick up the cost of the credit card fee when you’re offered that option. This ensures that the entire power of your donation goes back to Laura’s House for the work they do. God bless you buddy.

1 Like

Well I guess I’m gonna have to figure out how to get my picture uploaded - have never done so . . .

• 2018 Vincent Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (11/19/2021)
    Still so youthful and so darned drinkable. I am not sure it’s possible to buy enough of this. Love the little hit of finishing tannin, as it frames the fruit. I should hold onto a few of my remaining bottles, but the odds are slim that I will. At least I bought a full case of the 2019.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

2017 Vincent Eola-Amity Hills- Mostly cherry fruit with some floral and subtle spice notes. Tannins are well integrated, but can certainly last for a few more years. A bargain, and a steal if you buy them on pre-release.

Pulled this wine this afternoon, but apparently I’m late to the posting party.

Robert
vincent.jpg

It’s Vincent day!

2011 DuMOL Pinot Noir Ryan Widdoes Vineyard

PnP. Some significant, clear bricking. Hasn’t changed much in the last year. Dark black cherry fruit with layers of spice and a hint of pepper. Very nice.

Lots of reviews had this approaching the end of its drinking window but I believe it has plenty of time left.