Virtual Tasting Series Compendium 2019 - WB Charity ***README***

p.s. no people photos this coming week. Pet photos welcome!

How long are we going to last this year? If there’s another week, I’ll take it. I have to think of a theme and a charity.

Jay
I normally wouldn’t post here on an unrelated thread, but I have sent you two messages about the offline tonight at Wu’s Wonton King. You are on the waitlist there is a spot and you had even discussed a potential pick. I have received no response and assume you can’t make it. Is there any reason you have been on the boards read my messages posted here but not given me the courtesy of a response ? PLEASE RSVP !

Okay,

Week 2 post is started - it’s all about Oregon wines.

Thanks to D@vid for sponsoring the week.

I’m off to plunder my cellar.

check it out Week 2 Virtual Tasting Series for Charity - Oregon Wines for Dakin Humane Society (12/4 - 12/11) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Our Dakin Humane Society alumni
IMG_5670.JPG

If I can have January 4-10, I will have the theme BFRW. That’s Big Red Wines. I will define that to mean wines that Alfert and Brad Kane would prefer not to have to drink. To be more specific, I will say wines made by Thomas Rivers Brown, Mike Smith, Manfred Kranel, Justin Strider Smith or Phillip Cambie (hey, I have to give the Francophiles a chance). I will consider other winemakers proffered in advance. I haven’t figured out a charity yet, but my office just adopted, as Santa’s Helpers, a classroom of third graders from a school in Brooklyn that is in the lowest economic district in NYC. Each kid wrote a letter asking for one thing that they need and one thing that they want. Half of the “needs” were winter coats and the rest were similar. The “wants” were all modest, things like Beybladesd and Barbie dolls. If I can find a charity that does similar work (I’m looking into it) that’s who I will choose.

Yes, of course. I forgot to follow up.

I’ll update tomorrow.

Ok, after not a lot of searching needed (unfortunately) my charity will be the Kids’ Kloset program of (914) Cares, which is a program to provide clothes to kids in need in Westchester County, NY. Although we have plenty of wealthy communities (Scarsdale, etc.) we also have Mt. Vernon and Yonkers, so there is plenty of need.

I started Jim’s thread which begins tomorrow for the Semper Fi Fund

Joe Duncan’s week 4 is posted and awaiting his final touches.

Hi Brian, wanted to confirm that you are going with “hipster” wines and not the cab/ cab blends that I saw mentioned elsewhere on this thread. If so, I have no idea what hipster is, am very sure I do not have any on hand, but I googled and came across something called “pet nat” as an example. Would that get me into the hipster ballpark? Thanks -Jim

Jim,

I moved from Cab when I saw Jay Hack go with Big Reds. By Hipster wines I’m referring to tings like low alc, high acid, carbonic, off the beaten path varieties, drink me now sparklers, new generation young winemaker choices.
Examples: Dirty & Rowdy, Jolie-Laide, RYME, Cruse etc
Vermentino, Mourvèdre, Melon, Trousseau, Pinot Gris, Trousseau Gris, Valdiguie, Tempranillo

Not your Cab, Pinot, Zin, Syrah, Chard, Sauv Blanc regulars.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that does help. And it seems I may be a bit “hipster” in my wine drinking already. . . who knew !?!? [wow.gif]

Hipster wines, baby!!

Brian’s week is started in wine talk.

Jay’s Big Red Wine theme is posted, details to follow.

This is the last week go get in there and make Jay PAY!

Last night for mine, come in strong with some sparklers!!!

Oh, I’m with FMIII tonight so you know we’ll be drinking the Hipster sparklers, nouveau en vogue, negative dosage.

Okay boys and girls,

this concludes this year’s Virtual Tasting Series which raised lots of money for many good causes resulting in the world being a better place than yesterday.

Cheers

Thank you Brig for helping to pull all the loose ends together this year once again, as well as the other folks who helped, whether as donors or week organizers to raise money. This is the side of Wine Berserkers that I appreciate and enjoy.

Thank you, Brig. I,too, appreciated the opportunity to learn about the organizations, to participate, and to read the TNs.

Well done and Cheers!

champagne.gif