Visited a couple VA wineries

very true – even those two are still $20-25 for basic table wines, though. i know taxes aren’t everything, but the $1.51/gal tax rate compared to $0.20/gal in a CA hurts.

I’ve hit the local MD wineries but I haven’t crossed the river to visit VA ones. I will have to try some of these suggestions.

gas is $1 a gallon higher in CA including tax

We moved to the Charlottesville area 2+ years ago. In general we’ve found 99% of the reds in the area nothing to get excited about and not worth buying. Horton, we’d never buy another wine there again and the same with Barboursville. We did a reserve tasting and found them all overly tannic and acidic with little fruit. Can anybody in Virginia ripen red grapes?

Some friends and I have a recurring debate about VA wines. Even if they are decent they are usually more expensive than their European counterparts and in some cases, even California. Most wines here are built for the day tasters/tourists. Most wineries have switched from real wine glasses to the cheap plastic drink cups. Guess they don’t need the wines to show that well. People drink them anyway.

There are only about 3-4 wineries we would recommend to friends and rarely any reds. Oddly enough many of the sparklers are decent even Trump’s.

Not bad but they’ve gone crazy charging even for sitting at a table.

You might want to try Linden since 2007, Glen Manor, and RdV. There was a shift at Linden that started with the drought year of 2007 to riper reds with higher alcohol levels. The Boisseau always seemed the ripest of the bunch to me and I believe was pushing 15% in some vintages. It also generally has the lowest acidity so by far the most plush but also my least favorite. I just did a quick check of the website and it looks like alcohol levels have come back down below 14% for most recent vintages so maybe another shift again. I haven’t been out to Linden in many years so don’t know.

2 Likes

i meant per gallon of wine

1 Like