WA 100/100 and the price of 2016 Sandrone Barolo le Vigne

$179 at Wine House

Agree, the blind tasting part is good. I prefer that too. But this particular report with 2/3 of all wines rated 17 or 17.5 points and 90% (!) of all wines rated in the very small span of 16 to 17.5 points, in combination with the ultra short descriptions which don’t tell you much about the character of the wines is just not a helpful guide, in my opinion. I have done my fair share of larger tasting, tasting trips and I do score the wines I taste (helpful exercise) and there is just no way, all this wines were that close. I could ignore the scores (as many do and I often do from critics I don’t really know or my palate isn’t aligned with) but then I’m left with this ultra short comments which give you three aromas it displayed and tells you that the acidity is high, the tannins are there and that the wine is young… very helpful generic comments.

If a critics says that Barolo this young can’t be judged, than this critic probably has the wrong job. :slight_smile:

Not that Cellartracker, or the Cellartracker score specifically would be right or some kind of holy grail, nevertheless it is often one of the more reliable guides out there and usually something in the top 10 of any vintage cellartracker, will be a great wine. The top 10 wines according to the consumers on Cellartracker for Barolo 2010 and in brackets Gallonis score:

1. Conterno Monfortino (100)
  2. Vietti Ravera (100)
  3. Rinaldi Brunate (100)
  4. Bartolo Mascarello Barolo (100)
  5. Grasso Rüncot (96+)
  6. Conterno Romirasco (96+)
  7. Conterno Colonnello (95)
  8. Ratti Rocche (91)
  9. Sandrone Boschis (97+)
  10. Azelia San Rocco (96)

Galloni rated awarded in total 5 Barolos 100 points, 4 of them are – at least so far – the top choices for wine lovers too. That’s an impressive hit rate, in my opinion.

Not that Cellartracker, or the Cellartracker score specifically would be right or some kind of holy grail, nevertheless it is often one of the more reliable guides out there and usually something in the top 10 of any vintage cellartracker, will be a great wine. The top 10 wines according to the consumers on Cellartracker for Barolo 2010 and in brackets Gallonis score:

1. Conterno Monfortino (100)
  2. Vietti Ravera (100)
  3. Rinaldi Brunate (100)
  4. Bartolo Mascarello Barolo (100)
  5. Grasso Rüncot (96+)
  6. Conterno Romirasco (96+)
  7. Conterno Colonnello (95)
  8. Ratti Rocche (91)
  9. Sandrone Boschis (97+)
  10. Azelia San Rocco (96)

Galloni rated awarded in total 5 Barolos 100 points, 4 of them are – at least so far – the top choices for wine lovers too. That’s an impressive hit rate, in my opinion.

I think there’s quite a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy going on here. Many people who bought it know the reviewer score, and desperately want their purchase to live up to the hype…

The clear outlier here is the Ratti Rocche, but I believe that was a WS top 5 WOTY or something? Not a wine I would expect to be the top 10 of any vintage

I think this is a very bad metric, because people buy the wines they like. For example, I don’t really like Aldo Conterno’s wines, but I never drink them or buy them (because I don’t like them). Thus the people who drink them are the people who like them. What does the score mean? Who knows.

Do the changes in averages reflect price increases or simply the cheaper offerings being purchased, thus raising the average?
I haven’t had the sense that Larmer’s ratings move markets but I could be wrong, at least at the 100-point threshold.

Completely agree with you. Rating this many bottles within such a short span is simply too easy. First I thought the scores were based on how the wine tasted now and not factoring in any future upside, but then I read their scoring system, where it explicitly states that the score is based on future potential. Then when you see that the top wines of the vintage only get 18/20 and couple that with their article about how great 2016 in barolo is I just get a little confused [scratch.gif].

You’re now confusing Marques de Murrieta Ygay Blanco Gran Reserva 1986 with Marques de Murrieta Castillo Ygay Blanco Gran Reserva Especial 1986. 7-8 years ago Ygay Blanco Gran Reserva 1986 had been on the market for quite some time, while Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial 1986 wasn’t even released yet. It was aged for 21 years in oak, 5½ in concrete vats and 3½ years in bottles, released at 30 years of age in late 2016. It’s simply impossible you would’ve been able to buy it 7-8 years ago if it was released less than 4 years ago.

I am seeing fair prices for the Aleste 2016 (~90 euro) - any recommendations for this one?

Sandrone le vigne 2010 Galloni 100

18/20 is a really good score. I would think that most great wines from most vintages top out around there. I know we’ve been desensitized to 100s but to me, a 100 should probably be reserved for a few wines in a decade - if not a lifetime - not a year.

No surprise on the pricing leap. When Leoville Barton 2016 was the #1 WS for 2019 the price went from $100 to $180 overnight…

Kerin O’keefe had 2 100’s and 7 99’s. She loved Brovia, Burlotto, Cavallotto( perhaps the highest scoring wine below $70),Grasso. Certainly a fair amount of consistency across the top wines.

In terms of calibration, she scored Burlotto’s barolo (classico) 98 points, which it is not. At least my half bottle from yesterday. A very nice barolo, and certainly worth buying if you can find it at a good price, but not a near-perfect wine. I do appreciate the attempt to score outside a classification (ie: classico above acclivi and Cannubi).

That said, I’m certainly buying plenty of wines that she liked that I also traditionally like, especially Brovia. Can’t say I have a ton of experience with Cavallotto.

Getting back to the question at hand: I’m not surprised that critics liked the Le Vigne over the Aleste. When I’ve tried both bottlings, I’ve generally liked the Le Vigne better. It’s also cheaper (at least until now…), so that was always a plus. I’m not planning on buying Sandrone’s 2016s at these prices though. Sometimes the price escalation fades, especially for WS Top 100 wines, maybe less so with these 100-point wines.

+1

FWIW, I am not a Sandrone partisan and don’t currently own any bottles of Sandrone. I do own a healthy cross section of traditionally made Barolo from the major producers and some minor producers. But my recent experiences with 1998 Le Vigne and Cannubi were outstanding. The wine was aging beautifully and just a joy to drink. They seemed to have plenty of gas left in the tank in a cold cellar.

++1

That’s a very good question, Keith. It’s hard to think the same retailers doubled their prices in two weeks. It’s more likely that the discounters or retailers that bought early were cleaned out when the score came out.

It’s probably not a big factor, but if that’s a global average price, you have to consider exchange rates. The euro fell a few percentage points against the US and HK dollars in that two weeks (July 23-Aug 6), which would have added slightly to the average price in euros. And the euro is down about 10% against the HK dollar since the spring.

Although Sandrone was in the De Grazia portfolio, he has never been a full-blown modernist. He uses 500 liter French oak barrels, to be sure, but only ~10% new. That’s very different from using, say, 50% new barriques. Perhaps more importantly, he didn’t go in for the short macerations of a lot of his neighbors on the De Grazia list.

Also, FYI, Scavino is now using more tradition techniques, botte in particular.

Scratching my head, because, after reading her note, I have literally no idea what the wine might taste like.