Wanted an Oregon wine that tastes like a Burgundy.

Domaine Drouhin and Résonance

Mark isn’t guessing. He has drunk a lot of Burgundy.

Probably makes more sense.

+1. Most, if not all, of the above listed producers are working in the same tradition as the classic Burgundy producers, and they are often using the same clones. This provides an opportunity for a direct comparison of the characteristics of New World terroir compared to traditional Old World ones, stripped of the all too common practices in the New World which often distort and obscure it. It’s an interesting exercise.

And I would add Vincent to the list of producers worth sampling.

I was thinking this is important. Some of the warmer recent vintages can veer away from Burgundy characteristics. Of more recent vintages 2016 and 2017 seem like much better choices than '14 or '15.

Otherwise, plenty of good suggestions mentioned here.

I wasn’t doubting Mark’s experience. My question was exactly what it meant to ask: what does it mean to him. If he asks the rest of us to guess (and guess on two dimensions: what Burgundy tastes like and what Oregon pinots match that profile), he’s going to get a lot of different answers.

That said, the answers that recommended simply choosing good Oregon pinots without expectations that it will match a Burgundy are a more sensible suggestion.

Vintage and vineyard are both important. Lots of good choices for producer, you could also add Trathan Hall to the list. And whether or not it tastes like Burgundy you’ll get better answers by asking that way than just saying a good Oregon Pinot Noir.

Probably not Resonance. I’ve not tasted every wine they make but what I have tasted don’t make me think of the old world. Also, buying an “Oregon” wine made by a French producer might not be what the OP is actually looking to do.

That said, I wish we could do more to help. Good luck.

The fruit profile is never going to be the same, but when I think about new world versus Burgundy comparisons, I go looking for wines with structure.

So try to get some Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Pinot, especially the Heritage blend.

[cheers.gif]

1789 Wines bottlings are excellent and very burgundian

Agreed; I had the privilege of attending a comprehensive horizontal of 2013 Oregon chards, and they showed a lot of great qualities while remaining distinctly their own thing. Goodfellow and Walter Scott, as others have said, are my go-tos based on that tasting

Putting aside the original question of what Burgundy “tastes like”, last I looked, OR retailers did not ship to NY.

In addition to Goodfellow, Kelley Fox and Walter Scott I’d also suggest Brick House.

I fooled some very experienced and savvy Burgophiles with a 2011 Cameron Clos Electrique. I had both the producer and the vintage going for me.

IMO, yes. Across a much wider range of producers Oregon Chardonnay has a closer affinity to white Burgundy than the Pinot Noirs from most producers do. Again, IMO, often Meursault/St. Aubin.

For specific sites and a more limited number of producers, you can find the energy and tension of Puligny. However, this is definitely vintage dependent-as it is in Burgundy as well, in a side by side tasting we did, 2015 white Burgundies showed riper than the WV wines.

With Pinot Noir, there are a very limited number of producers who regularly produce wines with an old world bend to them. Usually within those producers, you’ll find that it requires a specific terroir to produce the wines that lean into old world structure and acidity(there are two CT notes on the 16 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge and Durant bottlings recently that illustrate this although both wines are very good), and it requires a very rigorous, and somewhat divergent approach, to farming and picking.

And, your 6-pack is at our shipper and should go out this week(weather depending).

I have bought from/been quoted from a few listed. Some of them use freight forwarders. Also have bought from the wineries directly, and note there are a couple offers of the producers mentioned in Quarantine Relief fund thread.

Retailers are stuck with the same tomfoolery, restricting interstate shipping, that wineries were stuck with a few years ago.

Wineries with licensing can ship there.

Didn’t think of that. Might be impossible to get Cameron wines in New York as the winery doesn’t have any sales.

The ventilators or the Burgundy doppelganger?

RT

Yes- different retailer landscape than a few yrs ago for sure and shipping more challenging. I don’t know NY shipping regs. But as has been suggested, I’d pick up the phone and see what options there might be- not that I can/would confirm (or suggest) that any options that navigate the current restrictions exist…agree though, easiest to order direct from producer.

Re: Cameron since they don’t have DTC as mentioned- they have national distribution. You’ll find them in NY/NJ markets pretty easily.