Wedding & Birth Year Wines.......

Don’t you wish your parents had been into wine enough to buy some birth year wines?

That’s why we have tons of '03s & '05s (mostly red Burgs & a few Bordeaux). The best wines should still be enjoyable 50+ years from now, so even if the kids aren’t into wine in their 20s, they have time. If our kids aren’t ever interested, my wife & I will still enjoy drinking them.

Don’t forget the German whites. Both of mine each have two mixed cases with some of these, a decent splattering of barolo, and some bordeaux. There is also some 96 bordeaux waiting for wedding years.

I have birth year wines for each of my children. Mostly, they are Cali-Cabs, Port and Barolo. I did not buy cases but just a few bottles here and there.
I have opened a few to share with my kids on their birthday and, while they are not into the flavor of the wine itself, they do appreciate that I bought this with them in mind and the link to the year they were born. The Cali-cabs I have opened have been quite good (Insignia, Heitz, Dominus). The ability to talk about the day they were born and share memories and birthdays together is wonderful.

My diverse collection in all bottle sizes is heavy on birth and wedding vintage wines from most of the great regions of the wine world. My focus is not to give my kids wine or open bottles upon their 21st birthday (though I will), but to reflect back on my life. Not surprising, as I enjoy thinking about the “history” of that vintage (year).

It also doesn’t hurt that my wife buys into my “buying strategy” and our milestone years are ’68, ’71, ’97, ’02, ’05 & ’07.

Lori and I were married in 2001 which was a great year for lots of regions, and we’re pretty well set for the foreseeable future with bottles for our anniversaries (although we made a pretty big dent in the collection on 2011).

We were both born in 1968 which AFAIK is a miserable year for wines, so we’re not holding out any hopes for a good bottle to celebrate our 50th or anything.

No kids and have no plans to add any either.

Married in 2000 & daughter born in 2005. Picked up a few 2000 1st growths for the major anniversaries 20,25,30, etc. when they were “reasonably priced” and have opened a bottle of 2000 (CA Cab; 2nd/3rd Growth) every year on our anniversary to date.

Stuck to Sauternes for the 2005 birth year. So far she seems to only like Reislings and dessert wines so maybe I’m good.

I’m long in vintage ports for my 1977 birth year. Haven’t found much for my bride’s 1975 birth year. Luckily she enjoys whatever I open!

Married in 1990 and I have accumulated a bunch of wines (mainly Bordeaux, Sauternes, Champagne, Italian, German). We typically will pop a '90 on Valentine’s, Anniversary, or any other day that we feel like celebrating :slight_smile:

I continue to look for good bottles at auction - especially picking up bottles for wines that we’re currently drinking and larger sized bottles.

We just got married last year…does anyone know if 2012 was a good vintage, anywhere? I’ve heard it was terrible for Bordeaux. And both of us were born in 1973, which I’m told is not a great year either. But I’m certainly open to suggestions!

1973 is not that great in France, but Champagne was good, also if you can afford the $ Petrus 1973 was good as well [whistle.gif]
Not worth spending on Mouton though IMHO.

I think you might find 2012 solid for napa and sonoma cabernet.

as a fan of big Napa cabs, I hope you’re right!

birth year 61
wedding year 85
daughter born in 90

not a bad trifecta. We’ve gone through quite a few of the latter two but only a few 61s

I was born in '65, wife in '72, married in '08 and had a son in '09.
'65 and '72 are legendarily terrible vintages, but I’ve managed to find some delicious wines from both years.
In fact, the '65 Hanzell pinot is one of the best wines I’ve ever had.
I’ve had Wente and BV pinots from '65 that were really good.
The '65 BV GdL is hit-or-miss; it can be absolutely amazing. It can also just be old.
The only totally “safe” '65 is the Delafaorce porto Colheita, which is delicious.
I have quite a bit of '72 CA cabs- Burgess, Stag’s Leap, Diamond Creek, BV GdL, etc and have been pleasantly surprised by them.
I’m a dork, and I love searching out those years. If I can get them at a low enough price, I’ll roll the dice every time.
At least they’re always interesting.
I have quit a bit of '08, mostly older styled CA, and some large format Bordeaux.
We haven’t really opened any yet and have joked about opening older bottles and saving the '08s for our 25th.
In four anniversaries we’ve opened '47, '59, '61 and '74, so we’re slowly getting there:)
I hope my son loves (or at least appreciates) wine, as I have '09s from just about everywhere.
If he doesn’t, when he’s 21, maybe he will when he’s 31. Or 41.
Or never.
But it’s nice to know they’re waiting for him.

Wife (1959), me (1960), marriage (1986), kids (1994, 1996). Easily the best wine in the group was a '59 Lafite we popped for my wife’s 50th. Perhaps the best glass of wine I’ve ever had. 1960? Not so much. A few ports are interesting but that’s about it.

1986 - most of the stuff I bought is getting tired, save a few BDX I picked up.

1994/1996 - Similarly, a lot of these are drinking so well now that my kids will never see them. The oddballs that might last are some Sauternes and Ports, a few BDX and a few '96 Barolos. A few '96 Champagnes. Maybe some Dunn Howell.

Point being…a lot of the stuff I bought for those special occasions is not going to last for my 50th wedding anniversary, or my daughters’ wedding(s). Many of the bottles I have from those vintages have become “open that bottle” wines.

So, I guess my point is…pick carefully:). Especially with the Cali Cab / Pinot you referenced. Several cabs might last 20 years, but I would not rely on pinots from the state to do the same.

me (70), wife (74), marriage (01) kids (02/04)

have a bunch of 01 sauternes. a 9 liter of 01 pegau, not much else

for my 40th, had 70 lafite which was surprisingly good, still have a few ports

have a handful of 74s for the wife’s 40th next year. an 89 hommage as well

for the kids i have a bunch of bordeaux 2nd growth mags and 3 liters. didn’t go crazy