Week 2 - Virtual Tasting Series for Charity - Historic Vineyards of Sonoma and Napa

Good job Mr P for taking on the week, and for King and Steve for their match. Bravo, guys. I dipped into my recent shipment of Carlisle for my TN to participate. I posted it below, along with my note from earlier in the year when Mike was down and shared another bottle with us. I offer both notes just serve as a confirmation of my comment that the 2015 IMO is both drinkable now and also lovely for it’s bigger frame and for what I called in the first TN as ‘decadence’. It’s not a blowsy wine, but instead generous and plush. I love it. And, since there are a few photos in the thread here, I offer one too. I went out with the Dr Mrs last night and we dined at Ark in Costa Mesa, which is a wood-fired oven restaurant (no gas or grill). The photo is of the cornbread skillet that is drizzled in maple syrup. That was a helluva pair with the wine, too, as much as the carrot souflee was tonight that I dusted with nutmeg and clove.

• 2015 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/2/2017)
    These just arrived 2 weeks ago. I dipped in for 3 bottles this vintage, and I am jazzed that I did. Opened yesterday, had only a glass so I’ll be able to stretch this over 3 days. Tonight’s glass is beautiful. Dark colored, with aromatics of ripe raspberry and very floral, perfumey. The texture is plush, approachable. Loads of dark raspberry, blueberry and the classic CV soil/earthy note that is what consistently comes through in the best CV vintages. Overall, this is a bigger-boned version of CV, and in my view (based on this being open a full day for what it’s worth) is a wine that can be enjoyed now. I will say that last night it showed more coil and tension, which has integrated into the wine very well today, making it super easy to drink and a real pleasure, too.
  • 2015 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/25/2017)
    Mr Officer joined us for our dinner and brought this wine with him, served non-blind. The aromatics on this were striking–seductive, floral, with lots of berry and even a stone fruit pit note like an apricot. Dark berry, juicy, a little decadent even, yet like with this vineyard, there is some structure although the comments at the table if I recall them correctly seemed to suggest this was drinking fine without much aeration. At the point we had this, it was right at the dessert course and I was starting to feel all the other wines that had preceded it but my basic notes here I stand by. The aromatics and juicy quality of this were evident and delicious.

Posted from CellarTracker
imagejpeg_0001.jpg

2012 Carlisle Pagani Ranch

Beautiful wine. What really stands out is how fresh it is, thanks to the loads of acidity that are meshing perfectly wirh the red fruit, floral, and pepper notes. Literally mouth-watering medium bodied old vine goodness that is drinking very well right now, although a slight bite on the finish hints at future development over the next 5 years. Happy i popped this tonight…but also bummed it was my last bottle!
20171202_192120.jpg

Tape it up and get back in the game Jay! Seriously though, hope you’re feeling better soon [cheers.gif]

2015 Limerick Lane Zinfandel Bedrock Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/2/2017)
I was much more positive on this wine than most folks on CT. Maybe the braised pork was just a good match, as the wine showed very well. Red fruit, velvety structure until the tannins clamped down on the finish, and fresh acidity, made for a very easy to drink wine. No trace of heat, and a good finishing dose of bramble spice made for a delicious dinner accompaniment.

4DC0DE35-10A7-43C0-80B9-AAB11CC15401.jpeg

Wine sounds great but I am drooling over the cornbread skillet with maple syrup.

• 2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Papera Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/2/2017)
    On PnP, the nose is full of red fruit and spice. Poured through the VinTuri, the palate starts with red fruit and quickly changes to a mid palate of darker black raspberry with plenty of grip that continues on the finish which includes some coffee with some time in the glass. My overall impressions sent me looking for Mike’s release notes to see if there is Petite Sirah. There isn’t as Mike remarked how the wine shows an array of mixed blacks that aren’t there. (93 pts.)

This has plenty of time left. But as Rich said above, I am bummed this is my last bottle.

Wanted to join in on this charity post and so pulled a 2016 Bedrock Dolinsek Ranch Heritage wine that arrived about 6 weeks ago.
So sad to pull the cork to share this wine with friends and find it corked.

2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Dolinsek Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/1/2017)
Pop and pour. Musty nose. Corked!
Tasted some and behind the corked musty element, you could see there was some good fruit. Just flawed. Sad.
IMG_1900.JPG
Still worth a contribution, right?

Ughhh. Bummer for sure…but it’s still a tasting note, no?? :slight_smile:

On the bright side, I’m 100% positive that Morgan and Chris will replace this. Hell…they reach out to random peeps on CT and offer replacement bottles based on their notes. As we all know, first class operation all the way.

Sorry you caught the rare dud…as Dolinsek is one of my fave vineyards for sure.

*edit for shitty spelling

Yes, even more disappointing after seeing your note on the 09 version.

2012 Carlisle Derivative. A delicious white old vine blend. This wine is in a perfect place and with age might turn a bit honeyed if the ‘11 can be used as a guide. It was also a superb match to the shrimp, feta, Meyer lemon risotto with fresh dill and mint. Shows lemon and quince with a lively zesty palate.

2015 Bucklin Ancient Field Blend Old Hill Ranch Sonoma Valley

From Sonoma Valley’s quintessential historic vineyard. Dry-farmed and organically farmed vines planted on Saint George rootstock dating back to the late 19th Century. A mixed-black field blend of over a dozen varieties, featuring Zinfandel, Petite, Alicante, Grenache (and lots more).

15.3% abv. Dark ruby, very aromatic. On the palate, black cherry, ripe plums, back tea and savory zin spice. Excellent depth and length, very complex with noticeable tannic structure. Enjoyable now with the potential for significant improvement over the next decade. A very worthy Old Hill Field Blend!

Larry - great minds must think alike!

I posed y/day on the 2015 Carlisle CVZ and it’s worth dropping a PS back here on the wine (as I did too in CT). In wrapping up the bottle today (Day 3), there is structure here, and the citrusy acidity with it creates a terrific energy. I’d say this is more cellar worthy than I previously commented. Just lovely darkened red fruit, blueberry skin and what Mike called as ‘blood orange’ on his website (which is pretty spot on), this is a really good vintage of CVZ.

One hit and one miss tonight.

• 2015 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Old Vine Evangelho Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (12/3/2017)
    The first sniff is seductive, with pure blackberry fruit and baking spice, it is concentrated without being heavy, with just a little astringent tannin on the finish. The purity is what stands out, and a little more age should hone the tannic edge off, though it is very enjoyable now. (92 pts.)
  • 1997 McDowell Valley Vineyards Syrah - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino (12/3/2017)
    Oxidized and over the hill. NR (flawed)

2012 Wellington Estate Zin

Surprising amount of sediment in the neck. Huge nose of berry pie, vanilla, and just a touch of heat. Full on the palate, good structure. Cranberry sauce, berries, some tannin, a touch of pepper on the palate. I think I’m getting sick so this seems a bit awkward for me right now. I’m guessing it’s my palate and not the wine, though.

• 2006 Retro Cellars Petite Sirah Old Vine Park-Muscatine - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (12/3/2017)
    Via Coravin. This is dark and brooding. Blackberry, currant, and leather. This still has significant tannins. By no means fruit forward. I will give the next glass some air. (91 pts.)

2014 limerick lane syrah/grenache
PnP, ripe strawberries and some black cherries (per J) on nose and palate, full-bodied with an almost savory meatiness to the flavors on palate, some dusty tannins on finish. Opens up with time. 91 pts.

2015 Bedrock zinfandel, Sodini vineyard
Dark fruited, perfumed — slight florals, some cherries, prominent tannic bite with some chalkiness on finish. Decanted for an hour before serving but think it’ll benefit more from age/mellowing. Could have wished for slightly more complexity, but as it is, a very fun drink, not heavy/has a grace to its textures. 92 pts

2013 Hanzell Chardonnay
Golden color. Nose initially very slightly reductive, slightest bit of funk, some golden honey notes. Palate rich body, some honey notes with a distinct mineral tinge, prominent vanilla note on finish but balanced with lemony citrus, not heavy at all. Overall very enjoyable, goes well with a rich pasta, think it has years to age yet. 91 pts, could have been a better qpr

This wine was awesome Mike, agreed! Loved the black tea notes in this. I normally wouldn’t touch an Old Hill so young, but I just picked up a case and I figured I wouldn’t miss one. Glad I did.

Finishing up this weekend’s work:
IMG_5567.JPG
IMG_5579.JPG
IMG_5571.JPG

• 2012 Wind Gap Wines Grenache Old Vine Sceales Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County (12/3/2017)
    Medium garnet color, pop-n-pour nose shows mostly floral notes with some strawberries. Palate is tight, acidity with some spice, very tannic. Some air starts to loosen it up, sour cherries and pepper. Probably an in-between hop on this, losing its youthful fruit but not any tertiary development yet.
  • 2008 Carlisle Two Acres - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/3/2017)
    Pop-n-pour, ruby garnet color. Nose of blueberries, plums, mint. Palate starts with dark fruits then transitions into roasted meat. Smooth finish, tannins fully resolved, and plums linger for a long time. This is in a great place right now.
  • 2012 Ridge Viognier Lytton Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (12/3/2017)
    Dark straw color, nose of apricots and Zagnut bar. On release this was all about American oak, and that’s somewhat receded, but still a strange wine. Not really sweet at all. Underripe fresh pineapple, dill, and toasted coconut on the palate. Probably best paired with a savory dish.

Does Ridge Lytton Springs Count?We had one yesterday at the tailgate but with the changing blends I assumed it does not count. If it does, I will post a note here.

Ridge Lytton? Absolutely!