Week 6 Virtual Tasting Series for Charity - Big Red Wines for Kids' Kloset program of (914) Cares JAN 3-10

Ok Jay, here we go. 2003 d’Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm - Deep purple color with just a hint of bricking at the rim. Nice nose of blackberry jam, smoky meat and oregano. Nice balanced attack with a hit of blackberry fruit balanced with a nice limestone mineral note. A little bit of a hole in the mid palate, but then a really nice finish with a blend of black fruit and a savory, spicy oregano note. Has aged very well and still has many good years ahead of it.

6F4F9AD9-B236-4C1A-A22D-5816AE986FCE.jpeg
2012 Alban Seymours vineyard

The steak is about to hit the grill while this big boy breathes. 15.8%
Qualify?

Jay, I don’t take selfies but for you and to raise money, I offer the photo below and the TN. This wine was made by Thomas Brown, so you need to count it! As for the wine, damn, this has to be the best vintage of Riverain Syrah. Superb.

• 2012 Riverain Syrah Cardiac Hill Bennett Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley (1/9/2020)
    I’ve had a bunch of bottles of this since it was released and it continues to get better, developing into the gem that it is becoming. As I look at my note on the last bottle written in December 2018, the wine seems too be drinking with same kind of favor components, the same flare and distinctive flavors. Black olive, charcoal, cooked meat, all framed up by a juicy, tangy, savory dark berry. Finishes with structure, by way of some powdery, rocky tannin and a tarry, blueberry skin tang. With the way this is built, it demands (and will likely go) more time in the glass and aeration so I’ll finish tonight’s glass and revisit tomorrow…after waiting 24 hours, I poured another glass this evening. Perfect temp of about 65f, too. The aromatics on this are “B” for bitchen. Reminds me of the best of what whole cluster Syrah can do when the right amount of stems are beautifully applied. This smells of blood/cooked meat, purple flower and bacon fat. Damn, what a bouquet. The palate has intensified overnight, adding some weight, yet it’s still framed by the same tannin that imparts structure. So many flavors all at once. Juicy mix of blackberry and blueberry, joined by the savory whole cluster signature of rosemary, tar, bitter chocolate and a citrus finish. Man, this wine is aging so good, and after 7 years, this is remarkably good and youthful. Thomas Brown and Steve nailed this vintage of Riverain, and drinking like one of the best versions of CA Syrah that I have had in many years. Bravo!

Posted from CellarTracker

Yes, of course. Alban is another winery I left out - I prepared my list mostly by searching for cabs in my collection and I only have syrahs from Alban - BTW - the Revas are great with 10+ years of age on them.

LOL, I have no clue how I missed this, I really don’t, but love the theme! I’ve had a hellacious work week and did go light on booze. I can honestly say that I do not have a single one of those wines in my country cellar.

And no Rolland, Jay?

I did just pop a 1989 Chateau Olivier, which moons ago, Suckling called a “heavy-weight boxer of a Bordeaux.” This would be a welterweight for Jay!

I figured you were busy, 'cause I called you out early in this thread and didn’t see you pop up at all…

So Jay, what was the final talley of tasting notes and $ raised? Inquiring minds…

Cheers!

cheesehead

The final tally is ONLY $135, which reflects poorly on the rest of you. I will donate the $135 in cash and add the Alfert Memorial Winter Coat I already bought, despite the fact that he did not drink any Saxum.