Week 6 Virtual Tasting Series for Charity - Sparklers - Nate M for International Justice Mission - DEC30 - JAN6

2014 Marguet Ambonnay Rosé - Needs some air to subdue the bubbles. I love the blood orange undertones, strawberry, and grapefruit. Quite a substantial Champagne that stood up to a variety of food with varying levels of heat.

1 Like

Ferrari Trento: Trentino Alto-Adige Metodo Classico Brut Rose’ NV

Salmon to orange, bubbles perhaps medium-sized. Aromas are red fruits: strawberries, red currants, maybe a touch of cherry. There’s a hint of bread and baking spices. On the palate, fruits stay strong, acid well-defined. Very fresh, bright, balanced. Attractive acidity.

Yet another Rose’ Brut we’ve enjoyed.

Happy New Year!

1 Like

2012 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Côte de Bechalin.

I didn’t take any formal notes, so I’ll just copy and paste my iPhone scribble here, unedited:

lightly tropical, vinous i really know what vinous means when it comes to champagne, pure lees as opposed to toast on the nose, the deepest yellow apple, just so steely, white burgundy with bubbles, caressing mousse, crushed rocks, beautiful texture and weight, mouthfeel with weightlessness, lemon curd finish, like white burgundy with a tea strainer of chalk

(can you tell I was moved?)

1 Like

My favorite find from last year. A good wine but really really strong in terms of value. Hard to find $40 Champagne better than this.

• 2008 Remy Massin Champagne Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne (12/31/2020)
    Tasty again. I noticed ripeness a bit more on the first night this time. Still bright and expressive. Second night shows similar to a Pinot Meunier. A touch creamy. Just tasty. Looking forward to trying the '12.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Cocktails tonight, but I did have a few sips of this straight.

NV Segura Viudas Brut -

About what one would expect from a $10 mass produced cava. Simple lemon, a bit of refreshing crushed rock. I used it mostly for a beet shrub fizz cocktail, which it suited perfectly.

Last night we opened a new Costco find: NV Albert Lebrun Champagne Grand Cru
$26 for Grand Cru bubbles - I figured what could be bad? To me the real competition it had was the $20 Kirkland Champagne.
This was nice. Lemon and red apple on opening, some lees/autolytic flavours coming out. Nice amount of dosage, leaving the wine somewhat rich but not at all sweet. The flavours evolved over a couple hours away from the red apple and toward tart Granny Smith apples and a brighter citrus. Finish was decently long but not all that interesting.
I think this could be a nice house bubbly at this price. It’d please most anybody who doesn’t need their bubbles on the sweeter side, and the Grand Cru label will impress some as well.

Best Champagne I’ve ever had? Probably would have to be a celebratory bottle of 2005 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne that (fellow Berserker) Scott brought over to celebrate us buying our new house a few years ago. I don’t remember specific tasting notes, but I was bowled over by the complexity and depth of this bubbly - previously although I’d had plenty of bubbles I’d never really understood what all the hubbub was about. Now I at least sort of get it and have been spending too much money on bubbles!

1 Like

NV Nicholas feuillate Rose.
We got this on Moorea but never drank it and ended up schlepping it home. Popped yesterday. Not too bad. Salmon color. Cherry fruit. Simple but decently quaffable.

Best ever had - 1996 Dom. In Vancouver 8ish years ago . The wine was excellent, and showed what great bubbles can be. More Importantly but we also met what would become a couple of great friends.

Brig,
I guess I am the 1st buyer.
89AFE43E-B96C-46D4-A7BA-69107A847176.jpeg

1 Like

Opened a2014 Marguet Ay tonight - I had previously tried his Trepail and Cramant bottlings from this vintage, and this was my favorite by far. Balanced, crisp, yet with reasonable body/flesh on the palate. This is one I would definitely buy again.

1 Like

Thanks for doing this Nate! Here’s a note from today:

• NV Philippe Gonet Champagne Brut Réserve - France, Champagne (1/2/2021)
    Light yeasty and mildly citric nose. Some brioche and red berries (mostly PN in blend) on the palate, along with med. - acidity. Medium length finish. Simplistic, especially on day 1. Gained a bit of complexity on day 2. Rating reflects good QPR. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

And here is my greatest champagne story: after graduating college, my parents had a bottle of Dom Perignon on ice in the back of the car in the campus parking lot waiting for me. I had never had anything like it before. Truthfully, I don’t think by parents had either, but my mother knew as someone who did not know much about wine that if you were going to celebrate with champagne, this was the one to pick. No idea about vintage, but since I graduate in the late 1990’s, I assume is was a late 1980s vintage. Still one of the best wine experiences I have ever had, made doubly so by the fact that this was a great splurge for my parents, who, to this day, still prefer their wine in magnums of Yellowtail.

1 Like

Love me some sopressata champagne.gif

Fantastic Story! 2 quick questions. Do you have a good source for buying her wines? Is the video available somewhere on here?

Thanks for the note! I too love the stories of wine. [cheers.gif] champagne.gif

Love the story! Ya, I’ve had that “aha” moment a couple times, but haven’t spent any real money yet on bubbles.

Great story! Quite the step-up from yellowtail;)

Nate, here is the link for the Marie Courtin event we did. Wine Berserkers Video Livestream with Dominique Moreau of Marie Courtin - YouTube

I get my Marie Courtin from a few sources. From Lopa Wines, which is local to us here in Southern Cal, as well as Sec Wines in Portland. Sec has some in stock and there is no sales tax, which always thrills me.

1 Like

Nate, thank you for doing this!

NV Moussé Fils Champagne Anecdote Blanc de Blancs Brut Lieu Dit Les “Varosses” - France, Champagne (12/31/2020)
Lovely, clean nose, crisp on the palate, essentially a nice, slightly effervescent, Chardonnay, bright, slightly lemony, some mineral. Quite enjoyable.

Half the bottle left, stoppered overnight in the fridge. I’m liking this more today, has a more classic nose, a bit more depth and complexity on the palate, mousse is finer, creamier, softer, longer finish, less lemon, more brioche. Today this tastes more like champagne, and less like merely a crisp, carbonated Chardonnay. (91 pts.)

One Champagne story that comes to mind was a visit to Vilmart, being shown around by Laurent Champs, and tasting the 2005 Coeur de Cuvee. Wines always seem to taste better when you learn how they are made, and make a connection to the people and place behind them.

2008 Dom Perignon
This was very very good. Fine mousse, nose of brioche and lemon cake that carried through to the palate. This feels well integrated already (although I admit my experience with this level of champagne is not extensive) and nothing feels out of balance or overbearing. it has vibrant energy and good precision, but enough body and toastiness to carry it without it feeling too linear or bracing. I get the hype here.

1 Like

403065F4-A7AD-4987-88D8-04855D0B82E6.jpeg
This was absolutely delicious. Aromatically expressive, with chalk, citrus, smoke, and pastry dough. Very focused and fresh lemon component in the mouth. Lots of subtle nuances, all kept in balance by the bright citrus. Long finish is bright and refreshing. Really lovely for my palate.

1 Like

Thanks for the note Matt. I actually have a bottle of this given to me by a friend. Any thoughts on when I should open? champagne.gif

I would say if you’ve got the right occasion, it was really enjoyable now. but I should add that I have exactly 0 experience with more aged Dom, so I have no first hand knowledge of the aging curve. seemed like it was not really gonna shut down though… so when the right thing comes up: go for it!