Weekend Challenge---Pop Your Most Obscure Bottle

1982 Pat Paulsen Cabernet, signed by him.
(If you’re too young you may have to look him up).

Vino da Tavola = table wine

Vino Da Tavola (VdT, in the wine books) is the lowest class of wine, a wine made by the producer as he sees fit to make it.

Remember not to look the gift wine in the mouth. Just pop and pray, Larry! Oh, and have a back up.

Hi Nancy,

Understood, but it’s also my understanding that Sangiovese/Cabernet blends a.k.a. “SuperTuscans” were released as Vino da Tavola because they didn’t conform to the DOCG. I don’t actually know what this wine is, but it was always my guess that it’s it.

Good advice! I don’t know anything about my friend’s palate, but I do know he’s considered the serious wine guy in that office, and he specializes in Italian wine, and takes a lot of trips to Italy for tasting, so it’s not a random grocery store bottle. I suspect what I have here is an internationalized Cab blend, I doubt would appeal to a traditionalist. But… backups I do have [cheers.gif]

lol Bob. How was it ?

And the winner is:
Treveri Cellars (CA) Sparkling Mueller Thurgau (RS 2.3%)

I just came across something called Barat Chablis in my fridge. How do you pronounce that? Chab - less?

I think it’s a white wine from Europe. Whatever.

How about a Tuscan “orange wine” made in Montepulciano from the Pulcinculo* grape?

*meaning “flea in the ass” as it is a white grape with a black spot on the bottom.

I have something called Corton-Charlemagne in my stash. Since I only have one, I guess it could be deemed obscure, no? It is a 1996 Louis Latour and will be sacrificed with lobster tail this evening. Fingers crossed for a positive experience.

Is this available stateside?

Yes, we brought in a little. It is called Maturato and is made by Luca Tiberini. Our notes:

This crazy, wonderful Bianco is made from the same grape as Luca’s insane Vin Santo, Pulcinculo (“flea in the ass” so named because the grape has a black spot on its bottom). It is fermented and aged in very old 500 liter oak tuns resulting in deep golden color, a rich oxidative nose with nuts and even Bourbon aromas and a BONE dry finish. Absolutely unique, VERY limited.

I popped a Madiran tonight which I’m sure is obscure to 90% of the board. [wink.gif]

I chickened out. Decided it’s “best” left intact. I think I’ll frame it or something. :slight_smile:

Nice of you to visit Earth every now and then Nancy… [snort.gif]

I bet this bottle pre-dates the Iranian revolution!

Yes, nice to land softly and have some down time. Life has taken me over instead of the other way around, Dan.

BTW, the Corton Charlie was rocking! Exceeded expectations after reading some of the notes on CT!

Together with fellow Berserker Greg Golec, I popped 1988 Far Niente Chardonnay this weekend. (And a bunch of other wines – the Far Niente was just the most obscure.)

It was very cool. For 20 minutes, the wine was lively – still had big Napa Chard fruit, lively mouthfeel, juicy acidity, and an inviting burnt/caramelized movie-theatre popcorn. Sadly, it then fell apart.

Mine did not work out so well. At least it freed up a slot in my scraper…

• 2003 La Vialla Barriccato Vino da Tavola - Italy, Tuscany, Vino da Tavola (5/8/2011)
    Decanted. Color is dark, opaque ruby garnet lightening towards the edges. Nose of sour cherries, green peppers, camphor, and damp earth. Palate shows some cherries, goes through a green-ness in the midpalate, with green peppers and cabbage, finishes with a balsamic character. Left it sit in the decanter a couple hours, most of the funkiness blew off, leaving a simpler, rounder wine with cherries, raspberries, and little structure.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sorry about the green peppers, cabbage and balsamic. You could have used it in an interesting salad dressing!

On to less obscurity. My Corton was a pleasure. Wish I had more!