Well made Cali + Burg chards for tasting - UPDATED $40/Bottle

My goal was a Chardonnay more typical of the “California style” … using Matthiasson would’ve been cheating.

1 Like

Just one person’s opinion, but I have been surprised by a multitude of California Chardonnays recently. I do not like what is traditionally considered the “California style” Chard (malo/oaky/buttery), but I think that style is changing and elegance is in. I have been a longtime fan of Ramey for this reason and I think there are so many options over the last few years with lower alcohol, no malo and less oak. It’s not to say that you are not going to get that California fruit (the weather is too good) or it’s easy to duplicate the minerality you get from White Burg. However, the move to more elegant styles is exactly why we did a chardonnay tasting recently and it was a much more interesting tasting flight with a U.S./South African/French Chard and a Southern Rhone Rousanne thrown in for good measure.

Dureuil-Janthal Rully.
Chalonnaise is a good place to look.

It is a bit sad that this is true. That wines that are what Chardonnay should taste like (as opposed to what oak should taste like) are considered “cheating.”

Swallowable wines at these price points haven’t been available for at least two decades.

Scar of the sea from sta rita hills is decent for 25ish. Morgen Long oregon stuff is cheap and delicious. Never gamble on burgs in that range but Pattes Loup basic chablis, J.Moreau & Fils 1ers are close to 40 and great. Ridge, mayacamas, peay $45ish stuff is always good.

Lol. Some things never change. In an uncertain world at least we can always count on death, taxes, and Nathan making outlandish claims about wine pricing when someone asks for advice. In fairness it must be really tough to have such demanding tastes that PYCM, Mt. Eden, most Oregon chard, and a boatload of different Chablis is undrinkable.

1 Like

+1

It’s not a style of place, it’s a style of an era, a fad. Go back to the early producers of great CA Chard, like Martin Ray, Ch. Montelena, Stony Hill, Chalone, etc. - what style(s) were they?

Right, and for over 10 years, I’ve seen a major trend away from the over the top style that some people call typical. I don’t even think that style is typical of California Chardonnay on the whole, unless maybe you’re only looking at wines under $20 (and many exceptions even there – heck, Bogle Chard is surprisingly well made for what it is). Hopefully people will stop calling a caricature typicity some time soon. The wines can tend to be different from Burgundy without all resembling Rombauer.