We're going to Bali. Need tips

Vietnam is fantastic, Dan.

The Hyatt in Saigon (HCMC) can be had on the cheap when using points. [wink.gif]

I’d still concentrate on Hanoi rather than Saigon… neener

Isn’t it colder up there in Mid-late November?

It should still be in the 70s. champagne.gif

Now I have to research Hanoi and flight info (cash and miles). Good thing I have plenty of time.

Call me if you need any help with flights. [wink.gif]

I would suggest reading about both Saigon and Hanoi. Saigon is great to visit. Hanoi is near the top of my list of all-time favorite cities. Hoi An is also worth looking at. Whatever you decide to do, let me know when it gets closer and I can give you some tips.

Wise ass. [wink.gif]

I’m also researching Ha Long Bay and cruises. Maybe I should start a thread to keep this thread Bali oriented. I dunno. I’ll see. Don’t want to piss off the OP. neener

Search out the local coffee: Kopi luwak - Wikipedia

Plus Dirty Duck in Ubud: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g297701-d1725309-Reviews-Dirty_Duck-Ubud_Bali.html

Get a local driver to take you on a day trip or two. The island is beautiful. Stay far away from the tourist traps like Kuta beach.

We rented a great little villa not far from the center (Seminyak) and a had a dedicated driver for the week. Much cheaper & funner (in our opinion) than the lux hotels, but if that’s your thing then go for it.

For Hanoi… do a street food tour.

If you go to Saigon let me know and I will recommend a guide to take you out of the city and tour the river deltas.

I knew you’d appreciate the flights comment. I’ve gotten pretty good though. I had an excellent mentor. [cheers.gif]

For our Halong Bay cruise we used Indochina Junk and went on one of the smaller boats (Prince?). They did a great job. Food was very good. There was only one other couple on the boat and the four of us were outnumbered by the crew.

If you are going to do a street food tour in Hanoi, which I highly recommend- it was one of the highlights of our trip- I would use these guys. http://streetfoodtourshanoi.blogspot.com/ Do the morning tour your first day in Hanoi. It is a great way to get a feel for the Old Quarter and the tour guide/co-owner of the company, Tu will dispense tons of knowledge about street food- how to pick a place, what to look for, other places to go. It was worth every penny. They book up months out, sometimes though, so plan ahead.

Thanks everyone. The more I research Vietnam, the better I like it. [cheers.gif]

Just to update… Vietnam is out. It was a logistal nightmare trying to plan our trip. I’ll spare you the details. In spite of the comment above, we’re Bali bound. Doing 6 nights in Ubud, and 2 nights at the Grand Hyatt (to relax), before heading home. Mike, you’re photos looked great.

Note to Charlie, I’ll let you know how this works out. [wink.gif]

Nice. Ubud is chill. Book Restaurant Locavore as soon as you can (I’ve always failed to do this in time for availability).

I’ll be interested too, Dan. I do hope both of you go and come safe. And listen to Colin–he knows things :slight_smile:

Mike

I was able to make a dinner res at Mozaic. Locavore was booked for dinner. I noticed corkage at Mozaic is roughly $18 USD. Should I bring a bottle from Singapore, or is Champagne available at a decent price in Bali?

I would recommend bringing a bottle or two from Singapore over since the corkage is rather reasonable. I’ve not been lucky to find much good wine in Bali / or at a good price. You can head to Artisan Cellars in Palais Renaissance, along Orchard Road, they carry some grower champagnes that might be interesting to bring over.

Thank you Benjamin. champagne.gif

Keep in mind that you can only bring in 1 liter of alcohol per person, unless you pay the customs person off, but even then, they might just confiscate it.

Yeah, one bottle per person, strictly speaking. I don’t think I’ve been searched at customs, but haven’t brought wine in before either.

I’ve been to Vin+ in Seminyak. It’s all right, enough to get you through. Not so close to you. In Ubud I’ve heard that Divine is all right, but haven’t been there. Usually the wines at the nice restaurants are good enough for me. It is all expensive, basically Singapore prices at the shops and restaurants for wine.

If you are doing a villa BBQ type thing, that’s probably when you want to have a decent number of bottles. Perhaps some of those places deliver, villa/hotel folks can probably help.

Artisan has good stuff. If you end up at a big mall, Oaks has higher end stuff, much of it is a bit ridiculous, neat to have a look at least.