What are you Buying - Germany 2017

Mosel Fine Wines released their auction issue a few weeks ago with tasting notes on the grosser ring wines. It’s available on their site for free.
A

Here is the link. They are the best resource for TNs in advance of the auctions I think. http://moselfinewines.com/

Also, if you happen to be a subscriber to View From the Cellar- John Gilman was able to taste several 2017 auction wines at the wineries during his Germany visit. The TNs are included in issue 75.

If backfilling what were your favorite 2016s by Pradikat?

Kabinett…
Spatlese…

Thanks, Kris

Schaefer for sure on Spatlesen. Crush still has some bottles of the 2016 Schaefer Auction Spatlese and that is an amazing wine. I am going to NYC in mid-October and if there are still any left, I am going to clean them out despite having a ridiculous quantity already. I am shocked they did not sell out of those quickly. I have not opened any Auslesen yet, but #14 is said to be extraordinary. Gilman rated it very highly. Chambers still has that in halves- have not seen it elsewhere of late.

Fritz Haag across the board. I have not opened any Prum yet- but very solid comments there from friends I trust (Spatlesen and GK Auslesen), as well as thoughts those will be very long lived.

I still have too many 2005s, 2007s, 2010s, 2012s, 2013s and 2015s. So, I plan to buy little 2017.

Mosel fine wines released their Part III of their vintage report.

They seem to be very high on Johannes Selbach’s 2017s, particularly his lieu-dit bottlings, so I’ll certainly be on the lookout for those. A little lower on Prum than I had expected, but I’ll always keep the faith until Prum lets me down. Looking forward to tasting and cellaring a bunch of these wines.

I must admit, my eyes always glaze over when I get to the Molitor section of the reports.

2017 JJ Prums have recently become available to me and I’m deciding which to buy…

Any recommendations within the 2017 Prum lineup aside from the usual of buying whichever Pradikat level you’re most interested in? Anyone tasted these yet?

What I’ve been able to buy so far:
I’ve done my best to load up on Willi Schaefer 2017s, was able to find a couple bottles of 2017 Keller Kirchspiel, got some Selbach Zeltinger Schlossberg Spat 2017, and have been gradually collecting some of the 2017 Falkenstein wines.

Did you attend Rieslingfier?

Didn’t go this year. Unfortunately it fell on a holiday weekend that I was out of town for

I tasted the entire lineup. All the wines are wonderful. If there was one particular surprise for me, it was how much I enjoyed the bernkasteler badstube spatlese, which I didn’t pay much attention to when I was offered the wines and I had to seek out after tasting. But it might have just been showing particularly that well and the entire lineup was worth owning. I think I ended up with 6 of everything.
A

2017 was the vintage of teh Spätlese on the Mosel. Pure, concentrated, not heavy or to sweet. If you like your Kabinett more in the style of ight Spätlese, buy Kabinett from the Mosel. Dry Riesling from Nahe-valley is great. Even lesser known producers like Kauer. But Dönnhoff is outstanding.