What Burgundy producers have disappointed you over the years?

Certainly, I start with premoxed whites and there start with Verget and Jouard. Beautiful wines young, but die quickly.

I agree with John about Leroy. Another producer who commands big prices that I have not liked is Perrot-Minot.

I am not a huge Mugnier fans as some are, but I think the wines do age quite well. I wonder if the criticism in this thread is based on drinking the wines too young.

Ghislaine Barthod, for me. I can see there is something there, but the wines never seem ready. Perhaps someone just needs to open a bunch of older bottles for me until I understand…

Also, Michel Gaunoux after the recent hype.

Definitely Perrot-Minot and, so far (two bottles), Gaunoux.

Bought Gaunoux (99, 01, 02, 05), few bottles of Corton Renardes and Pommard Grands Epenots based on consensus of excellent reviews. Tasted 3-4 of them last year after their arrival and our group was underwhelmed. Perhaps they just need time. Maybe. I hope.

Definitely. Those wines need years. I shall risk repetition by responding to this thread with the suggestion that the consumer has responsibilities as well as rights and that it is not always fair to heap opprobrium on wines that have been opened impatiently.

Vogue for me.

Certainly that would apply to the Gaunoux I mentioned. I have not had any mature Gaunoux for way of comparison. Whether that applies to Perrot-Minot, LeMoine, Anne Gros, and some others whose issues may be more stylistic, I am not so sure.

At one time or another, all of them.

Anyone want to comment on what their experience has been with aging Dugat-Py wines?
Oh, and last night I had a 2002 Hudelot-Noellat RSV that was completely underwhelming…short finish but pretty good for a village wine, perhaps, however not for a wine of that pedigree. (? off bottle, but no flaws detected.)

I think one has to distinguish poorly made wine from the wine that just isn’t your style.

Leroy, Mortet, Laurent, Roty, Perrot-Minot, Vogue, Anne Gros, Dugat-Py, Amiot, Prieur, D. Rion, Comte Lafon, Verget, Meo-Camuzet, Bouchard, etc…just aren’t my style and may disappoint me for no other reason.

Some of those are clearly very well made wines.

Some of those probably need more time to integrate and I just haven’t experienced that.

Girardin, Bertagna, perhaps Potel (without DRC juice) are poorly made IMO. I suspect most of the really poorly made wine is not imported.

Michael: I think you are on to something - Barthod is horrible.

-mark

Poorly made wouldn’t be disappointing in the sense that nothing was expected to be disappointed in. Like Louis latour. Yuck

Charlie: my point as well…I think some of the producers mentioned are just bad… -mark

completely agree on the first two. Nicky’s new stuff is quite good.

completely disagree

Oh Scott…play along.

[wink.gif] [whistle.gif]

This is so true. The ones that rarely disappoint me tend to be the ones that I haven’t spent much for and that I have realistic expectations for. One that rarely disappoints that comes to mind is Pavelot. If you happen to try it at the wrong time (doesn’t happen much), no big deal. If you try anyone’s RSV and it’s underwhelming, well, that’s a big deal.

We drank a 2005 Girardin Gevrey-Chambertin V.V. last night and it was a pure and classic expression of Gevrey. I go along with the view that there are few “bad” winemakers, just bad times to open their bottles [but I do agree that a heavy hand with oak can mar the bulk of a producer’s better wines - they tend not to bother with the humbler wines in their stable].
I take the same view about the categorical labeling of (most:~) people - e.g. Mounir Saouma as “rude , condescending and arrogant”. We all have our bad days; I found him passionate, very clear in his views about what makes great wine and, yes, very confident he’s right - a quality I find in most people who have made a mark in life.

Maybe we shouldn’t be vain about this. Many of those you mention are producers the wines of whom I don’t care for either, but they do come around. You don’t mention Claude Dugat, whose wines are horrible when young but do become absolutely classic expression after twenty years. There are some quite excellent wines from Girardin but they at least were made in a very high risk and uncompromising way and there do seem to be some crude failures. Bertagna I don’t know about but Potel I do and I think that’s an outrageous calumny, as is your throwaway assessment of the great wines of Ghislaine Barthod.

Again, anyone had any experience with aged Dugat-Py wines?

I don’t understand why your worldview doesn’t allow any room for personal preference for various stylistic profiles or the idea that not everyone exclusively wants to drink burgundy at full tertiary apogee.