What Chablis are you drinking?

I’ve already been through the better part of a case of 2014 Jean-Paul and Benoit Droin Vaillons and it’s fantastic.

• 2010 Gilbert Picq & ses Fils Chablis 1er Cru Vosgros
    I always love Picq. The Vosgros is usually his biggest wine, and this vintage is no exception. Starting to get some nice secondary aromas and flavors. It seems to have gained some complexity but lost some of the tension of my previous bottles. His other wines, including the VV, Vaucoupins, and Dessus la Carriere have a bit more Chablis typicality (cut, salinity, crushed oyster shells), but this is still a very nice wine.

2008 Fevre Preuses. Beautiful, citrus, salty, river rocks, chalky, a tiny bit of pear, harmonious, expanding, lingering finish. Lovely.

• 2014 Domaine Jean Collet & Fils Chablis - France, Burgundy, Chablis (7/18/2016)
    Pretty good entry level Chablis. Light bodied, bright and fresh. Easy to drink on a hot and humid day.

We had one of these the other day. Hard to think of anyone making a better village bottling of Chablis these days. And the wines seem to be a lot more ‘typical’ Chablis since 2011 on, without sacrificing any intensity or amplitude. '14s are painfully young but everything seems to be in the right place, to say the least.

2013 Dauvissat village Chablis the other night was a bit dull, with quite a deep, golden colour. I remember liking it a lot more on release and from cask and thinking it somewhat transcended the vintage. Not quite so happy with its evolution now.

Hate to be Debby Downer as chablis is my favorite wb but I’m getting poxed more and more these days. 2 bottles of 2009 Drouhin Vaudon Vaudesir both on the pox down side albiet drinkable but not the Grand Cru level I expected.

My first ever V. Dauvissat, a 2011 La Forest, was poxed to the point of tasteless so I opened a 2012 Sechet and that was absolutely delicious and what I expect from chablis.

Other recent bottles that I’ve enjoyed are Fevre’s 2014 Champs Royal, Oudin’s 2011 village chablis, and Domaine Vrignaud 2007 Fourchaume VV. Incidentally the Vrignaud was a Garagiste purchase which I’ve enjoyed many bottles of 2007s & 2008s over the years and never had a poxed bottle.

Aloha!

Mark,

I’ve bought the La Forest every year for a decade, but returned all of my '11’s. Not poxed, they were just odd, bitter, and unlike any previous vintages I had opened. There are plenty of positive TNs on that wine, but I didn’t like that particular vintage.

I haven’t had as many Chabis pox problems as with other parts of Burgundy, but it certainly out there and remains a concern.

Cheers,
Warren

Thanks for the response Warren. I have a few other Dauvissat 11’s so will try and report back.

Recently, Duplessis, their PCs from 2012 (MdT, Vaillons, Montmains). Pure, elegant, intense, joyful, long. Currently my favourite Chablis producer.

2013 Domaine Servin Les Pargues. Binny’s had halves on closeout

Yes, I don’t think 2011 is a very good year for any chablis, but I would be very surprised if poxed. Tasteless wouldn’t equal poxed in my mind (sherry, wax, brown apple, etc?) I think from what I’ve had it’s a down year that still may be ok with usual Dauvissat aging curve. Remember in many years, Dauvissat goes thru a down phase at 4 years up to 7-8 years before blossoming.

Love this producer. However, I’ve only opened 2 bottles of premier cru! Had a bottle of '07 Montmains about a year ago and I felt like I had committed infanticide. '10 Vaugiraut was also much too young. Fortunately, a local store still had a few bottles of the Montmains so I replaced it. I’m down to my last bottle of '10 Villages (every bottle has been fabulous) and still have 3 bottles total of '12 and '13 Petit Chablis to finish up. Then I’ll start in on '11 Villages.

I just did a count and I have 6 cases of Duplessis! champagne.gif

Second the Kirtland 1er. Tastes nothing like CA Chard IMHO. [cheers.gif]

2008 Dauvissat Forest–richer than the usual Dauvissat, mouth filling, but clearly still chablis. Entereing a great spot now.

2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 Dauvissat AC Chablis–Sometimes hard to find, but a great buy, and very satisfying, age-worthy wine that could sub for many other producers’ PC wines.

Not drinking, but just purchased a few 14 JP & Benoit Droin Valmurs that I’ll be super excited to try once they come in stock. Never had this producer, but the general consensus seems very strong for this address the last few years.

makes great wines but has had a significant premox problem–don’t know if corrected yet.

A 2010 Billaud-Simon Preuses is drinking great tonight.

In my travel to Northern Europe, I had a few village level 2014 Chablis by producers I wasn’t familiar with. They all tasted like premier Cruz. I haven’t had a disappointing 2014 yet.

At home, mostly 2012 and 2010 Billaud-Simone MdT and Mont de Milieu in 375s, so happy I bought a bunch of those.

Had a 2014 Vaillons from Lamblin et Fils over the weekend. I don’t drink tons of Chablis, but found it a bit more test than I would like. No formal notes, but my memory only has sour apple in the books for this wine. People seem high on he 2014, maybe I am just not sure what I should be tasting.

Beautiful bottle of 2004 Christian Moreau Les Clos