What Descriptors in TN's make you want to buy a wine?

Perfection! High neck fill, cork in excellent shape, pristine bottle, nominal fine sediment. Ruby/deep garnet color and nose of lilac, dark fruit and some barnyard/earth. A blossoming palate of blackberry, blueberry, citric acid, leather and exotic spice, esquisitely integrated with polished, yet assertive tannins. Long finish of blackberry, cream de cassis and brambles. Wonderfully balanced and integrated. Good pop and pour, but best after about an hour’s decant.

Well … that was my TN for 1996 Latour, so if I see a note like that, I know I’ll really like it!

Other than that, I think “massively endowed” hits the mark. LOL

Smooth, buttery, milkshakey.
:wink:

Lots of good suggestions here. Two descriptors that always suck me in are “humus” and “graphite”. But I love the horsey, funky northern Rhones too.

In whites, “passionfruit” and “quinine”.

Unfined/unfiltered, ripe, low acid, delineated, bacon fat, smoked game, complex, unctuous, sweet. Liqueured, cream. Any sqn appropriate or 50+ yeah old Bordeaux descriptor will do.

Difficult to say one thing. It’s when the whole thing sounds appetising that I might be encouraged.

In certain wine styles there will be individual elements of direct interest. E.g. a sweet wine without reference to acidity, or talking of subdued acidity will put me off, but ‘a balance of vibrant/tangy acidity against the luscious sweet fruit’ might appeal. In another style ‘leafy’ may be appetising, but less so in another. I certainly wouldn’t have confidence in buying based on a keyword search.

‘Complexity’ is one where it’s difficult to not see it as a positive.

Bacon

Yes… Balanced. Light ruby or crimson color. Weightless, fresh, lifted, red fruited, earthy, mushroom, forest floor, minerally, ethereal, resolved, sub 14% alc.
Turns offs… robust, cola, big, chewy, oaky, heavy, full bodied, roasted, jammy. A dark opaque purple color can be a warning sign for my palate. 14.5% Alc plus. I can enjoy a big wine but it better have lots energy and lift. And it better not be overrun by the Alc and oak.