What dessert wine did you drink tonight?

2003 Quinta do Noval Unfiltered Late Bottled Vintage

Most recently- 2012 Brooklyn Winery Fortitude.

Fortified Zinfandel from Lodi grapes.

Not a style I’ve come across before, but thoroughly delicious. Big dried dark fruit flavors, lots of vanilla, and not overly sweet.

Yes! Let’s get this chain going. Dessert wine is my jam.

Tonight I think I’m going to go for the 2000 Morandé Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc.

A mutual friend acquired a cellar last year and I acquired several dessert wines. None of them are high-value but all were interesting picks.

2019 Max Ferd Richter Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese*** Fass 42

Opened from a 375 mL. Somewhat mute nose of mostly yellow peach and pineapple. The palate, on the other hand, is a glorious cornucopia of pineapple, starfruit, orange peel, yellow peach, fig, almond paste, and lilac. Almost BA-like. Silky in texture with great dry extract, leaving pleasant tropical and dried fruits on the finish with ripples of acidity. Super excited to see how it shows tomorrow.

NV Rare Wine Co. Historic Series Boston Bual Madeira

1 Like

63 warres and 63 dows for open that bottle night with a fellow port lover
warres 77 opened Tuesday 2010 Paumanok late harvest Riesling opened this past weekend

Doisy Vedrines 1996 . Lovely wine , creamy apricots and peaches . Vastly underrated wine , I think Neal Martin scored it 89/100 .
But it’s much better than that . Drink a glass a day for a week and you will be so happy !

Little taste of Dows Crusted Port, 2004 bottling. Really nice and fully mature, in the zone of what I want from most Late Bottled Vintage but don’t usually get.

I had a 1992 Taylor Porto and a 2005 Yquem last night as our monthly steakhouse group had our first dinner together since March 2020. The Taylor was good but needs at least another decade. The Yquem was lovely and stole the show, with perfect measures of richness, sweetness, and tartness.

1 Like

Quevedo 40 year old Tawny Port

S&B Borgogno Barolo Chinato

Not quite as good as the GD Vajra I had on Christmas Eve, but I love it. It is becoming clear that I need to stock up on Barolo Chinato.

1 Like

Well, I should be able to keep this thread going for… oh, say, 37 years or more. [wow.gif]

Nice to see a couple of Barolo Chinatos and Vin de Pailles were opened! [cheers.gif] I love Port and Sauternes but you gotta expand the horizons, you know? I just finished a bottle of Chateau Dereszla 2008 Tokaji 5 Puttonyos. As soon as I’m done my bottle of Santa Sofia 2008 Amarone – which BTW could certainly count as a dessert wine as it can be served with one due to its richenss without any issue – I’m opening up a bottle of either Pineau des Charentes or Tawny Port.

I don’t have them very often either, but I’m a big fan of Italian dessert wines.
Look out for:
A&GN Fantino Nebbiolo Passito “Nepas”
Occhipinti “Passo Nero”
and La Stoppa Mavlasia Passito “Vigna del Volta”!

Nice! I just bought a bottle of Vajra Chinato from K&L. I never usually see it for sale.

1 Like

1980 Chateau de Fargues Sauternes
Celebratory bottle for getting out of quarantine! Lovely pillowy caramel with surprisingly youthful fruit - more pineapple than apricot; a trifle flabby; sadly there was a whiff of wet cardboard that only grew with time; flawed

The past handful of nights saw these opened. All very good in their own right;

Smith Woodhouse 20 yr Tawny
Dow’s 20 yr Tawny
Graham’s 30 yr Tawny

Oh and I don’t consider Port a “dessert wine” even though most do. It’s an old stereotype that needs to change.

Andy, do you generally drink port by itself or paired with food? And what types of courses do you recommend? I’ve certainly tried some classic pairings like chocolate, cheese/stilton, nuts, etc, but honestly not many savory pairings.

Thurston Wolfe; 2005 8 year old Tawny port. Very nice QPR.
This is only made once a decade or so. Which is too bad as it is a great product.
Excellent dessert wine.

With some exceptions, I am not a dessert eater. Give me red licorice, Sour Patch Kids and the like and I’m all there. Cakes and pies, rarely. So I generally prefer to enjoy Port on its own or with a meal, a young fruit driven Ruby Port with a steak or pizza is a great match. Once were able to gather again, I will host another Pizza Port night. They’ve always been a big hit with people.

If I am having cheese with Port, I prefer a less pungent one. Stilton is a horrible pairing and should be avoided, even though it is considered a classic pairing. From what my UK friends have told me, Stilton a 100+ years ago was a very mild cheese and not like it is now. So perhaps that is where it evolved from? The exception is an old VP or tawny with a soft gooey Serra da Estrela cheese wheel [give_heart.gif]

2015 Martinelli Jackass Hill Muscat. 100+ year old vines. This particular vintage has botrytis which adds a little extra complexity. Killer stuff!!!

1 Like