What do you do with wine you don't like?

Hell, you’ve got bigger problems to worry about than a few bottles of wine you don’t care for -

>>>>My fiancee doesn’t drink at all,<<<<

IMO, find a fiancee who does drink - and who knows, she may like the wines you don’t, solving both of your issues [cheers.gif] [wow.gif]

Gift to your neighbors or co-workers. I would be psyched to get a random bottle unexpectedly.

I’ll point you to the short ribs thread on epicurean exploits. Every pot of shirt ribs takes three bottles of red wine…

Hahaha

I’m not sure how well Pinot and Syrah will do in short ribs, but I don’t have anything to lose, so might give this a try!

Haha, I do wish that she enjoyed wine, but trust me, I’m the luckiest guy on the planet. I can’t believe that she even talks to me, let alone agreed to marry me. [cheers.gif]

Nobody has asked the tough question yet.

Have you stopped buying for WTSO, LastBottle etc?

I will admit that I do still check those sites regularly, but I have stopped buying things that I don’t know anything about. The last thing I bought was a few bottles I liked during their marathon sale. My newest guilty pleasure is buying things I like on Vivino when they send me targeted emails for sales on bottles or producers I know I like. I live in NYC so wine stores here are insanely expensive, I buy almost everything online as it’s almost always cheaper than locally. That said, I learned a lot from that site in terms of trying a bunch of different wines I wouldn’t have otherwise, to learn what I do and don’t like.

???

[rofl.gif] [winner.gif]

These individual bottles typically cost in the $30 range and come from random purchases of wines I’m not familiar with on sites like LastBottle or WTSO, where I will buy 2-3 bottles when ordering, either to get free shipping or simply because I don’t like buying only one of something that I can’t find locally.

This is your problem. You’re buying multiple bottles of wine you don’t know and you’re paying $30 or so. That’s nuts. Doesn’t matter if you can’t get them locally or not. To get the free shipping at $30 each, you’re buying three or four or six bottles. There’s no sense in paying $120 or more to get free shipping on bottles you don’t know. Buy a single bottle if you need to. And pay the shipping on it. Next time it comes around, and it will ninety percent of the time, then you know what to order.

You’re better off paying a high markup at a local place or restaurant and you’ll still come out ahead and you won’t have bottles you don’t want.

So my advice is:

1. Stop putting in those orders

2. Look around locally and ask the somms at restaurants where they’d buy wine retail.

3. Look online for free shipping deals - there are some retailers who offer free shipping on select wines. Wine Library offers a Library Pass for $99 and then it’s free shipping for a year. You can try a lot of different wines at various price points that way.

And more directly responding to the OP:

1. Step up your cooking - I don’t know how most people cook but I can never have enough cooking wine.

2. Look into making your own vinegar. It takes longer than making yogurt but you can end up with some good stuff.

3. Don’t ignore sangria in the warmer months. Some shitty wine makes good sangria.

4. Family, friends, and strangers.

5. Don’t waste time trying to sell it. You’re not going to find a lot of buyers for small quantities of $30 wine with poor provenance.

Whatever you do, good luck! [cheers.gif]

About once a year I pull a case or two of these types of wines and donate to a local charity event or school pta fundraiser. You’re a hero for helping them fill up their wine pull with wines that aren’t swill and costs more than $20.

This. You can then write off the wine and shipping costs on your taxes.

I have a fundraiser event I’m supporting and donating wine to in May. If you’re interested in possibly donating PM me.

Gift, to your doorperson, friends, family, homeless, coworkers, stagehands at the play you just saw, ticket-takers at some random performance, tollbooth cash operators, the garbargeman…be creative! Those bottles will be GONE in a flash!

Not when Sally, who doesn’t drink, is glaring at you all evening.

Sally is the wine version of Karen?

Throw a barbecue and put them out. They will be drunk. [snort.gif]

+1

Lots of good answers here. When I read the OP, I also thought to cook with some and gift the rest. You live in apt building so you probably don’t have lots of workers who come to your place, but you must have a super, maybe a few doormen, a cleaning person? People at work who go out of their way? Someone who cuts your hair, a receptionist at your doctor/dentist who gets you in at the last minute? Give it away and learn from the buying mistakes you made.

Don’t tell him I said so but Greg has your answers here

Let’s change this up a bit. You by wine on Berserker Day that you’ve never had. When I get it I decide it’s not my thing. I can cook with it or gift to someone who might like it. BUT do I stop buying wine I’ve never had on Berserker Day? No me, by the way.