What have you learnt on your wine journey?

I know what I like and I like what I know. I no longer pay attention to the critic’s reviews with rare exception and buy producers and regions I enjoy.
I love Champage. It’s versatile with all cuisine and comes in so many styles. Did I mention I love Champagne?
I can’t tolerate overt oak any longer and much prefer the secondary and tertiary flavored of an aged wine from anywhere.
Having consumed some spectacular decades old white burgs over the years, premox really sucks. It really, really sucks.
I have been disappointed more often than not drinking red Burgundies but the highs far outweigh the lows.
Wine collectors are some of the most generous giving people I have met in my life.

make the wine the occasion.
there will always be another great wine.
buy more than a few bottles if it is a great wine (and you can afford it).
get a Pungo.
half bottles are worth a small up charge.
double decant before bringing a bottle to a nearby restaurant.

Good wine cost crazy $hitloads of money.
Wine is NOT necessary to live.
You’ll waste tons of money buying bottles that could have sent your child to Yale or Stanford.
Half or the wine you’ll buy you will be disappointed with. The other half you can see why you need a 2nd mortgage to chase what lights your fire.
Wine is sometimes worse than the craps table or roulette wheel.
Remember to spit.
It’s OK to keep that bottle around for a second or third day.
Half of what people tell you is hogwash; the other half, you need to pay close attention and listen to.
Don’t get in bed with wholesalers.

Never ever take grammar or spelling lessons from me. I spelt every word in the American language wrong. Or is it spelled? Or is have spelt? See.

Don’t understand. Is it only California winemakers who are wonderful people? What is wrong with winemakers in other countries.

Have not met but two. Neither was my cup of tea and one was a jerk. I can visit with many California owners and winemakers almost anytime. I rarely buy wine anymore unless I have met with or personally tasted in the wine tasting room. Just my thing. I stay local and keep money locally.

I learned that the wine world is full of very different eccentric wonderful people who are the kindest people…the bonding of trials and tribulations with peeps ITB is priceless …

Shalom !!!

Salute !!!

Don’t ever buy a wine because you feel like you need to buy it or you’ll miss out on something…there’s always another great option around the corner.

Buy slowly as your palate will change over time.

• A sub $20 bottle can be just as good and enjoyable as one 3-4 times its price if the wine appeals to you.

• Politics are divisive (unfortunately). Wine brings people together.

• Americans are awesome people. I was already biased and predisposed to this due to my family on my maternal side being American but the ones I have met through wine have only reinforced this. Whatever happens next week and in the future, God bless your country and your people.

• Anyone who drinks wine deserves the label of wine lover, regardless of whether or not you approve of their choice of drink. Bordeaux drinkers and Wolf Blass drinkers and everyone in between counts as a wine lover as far as I’m concerned.

• Palates can change and more often than not do, so never say never. It took six years but I am a full-on table wine drinker now as well as a sweet wine drinker.

• Screw soda, the only carbonated fruit flavored drink worth drinking is sparkling wine.

• Always taste new wine samples whenever you get a chance to in as many different manners and environments as you can. You don’t always have to buy a new wine to taste it. I’ve tasted far more wine on tours, trade shows, special events, SAQ and LCBO stores, dinners with friends and off restaurant wine lists than I’ve ever bought and drunk and am far, far better off for it.

• Store your wine properly. If you’re going to spend that much money on the beverage, the least you can do is protect it as best you can until you’re ready to drink it. You don’t need to be a billionaire to properly store and care for your wine, either. My own storage units consist of used 12 bottle wine boxes lining a long hallway, several kitchen drawers and a kitchen closet with wire baskets. The LCBO product consultants have marveled at the condition of my returns when I exchange.

• People really need to drink more sweet wine. Let go of your prejudices and try some. You’re bound to hit a style you enjoy.

• People really need to drink more fortified wine, but the industry is also responsible for getting more people to do so.

• What you drink with is as important as what you drink. After Zalto and Schott-Zweisel glass experiences, I will never go back to plain old wine glasses ever again.

• Who you drink with is as important as what you drink. The only thing better than drinking wine is drinking wine with family, friends and fellow wine lovers. Unless your family is my Barefoot wine loving family. Anyone out there want to trade families? Just askin’.

1 Like

After the loss of a very dear friend to cancer this week, I will heed his long time motto–
“Don’t save 'em for a special occasion; every day can be a special occasion.”

points scores are about owning wine, not about tasting it or appreciating it.

spot on Jim
great wines leave me speechless I cant describe how good they are

great wines taste best when shared
my fellow wine drinkers are very generous with their wines
quarantine can be a good place for a wine to build and evolve

yes yes please return TCA wines

Scott, sorry for your loss.

Read Read Read.
Read wine boards. Read blogs. Read wine magazines.

Drink Drink Drink. It’s the only way to understand the grape. Drink syrah, zin, CdP, various white varietals etc etc. How will you know what you like if you don’t experiement.

Go to offlines. If you’re new to this hobby, for the price of a bottle of wine, you’re going to drink better wines. At my first offline, I brought a $35 Anderson Conn Valley (ACV) cab sauv reserve. I thought I was hot stuff. AT that dinner, I tasted other wines (mostly more expensive) that opened my eyes. These days, I like to think that I step up and contribute properly to these dinners.

Find a mentor. It helps to be able to converse with someone.

Wine tastes very different with food than without food. If you don’t like old world wine, you may be drinking it wrong.

That appreciating wine is a journey. Be prepared for the long ride.

Having a good group of friends who share your passion is very helpful. Offlines are great way to share wine.

This hobby isn’t cheap so be prepared to spend.

Travelling to wine regions, walking through the vineyards, talking to the producers gives you a different perspective.

Once you understand your palate throughly you have reached your destination.

Please share your wisdom here Michael, I have yet to learn how to easily remove wax seals. Every time I have to face one I feel like an 8 year old who’s been given his first pocket knife and wooden block to whittle.

So my approach, is to leave the wax seal alone, screw the cork screw thru the wax into the cork and pull it all out in one go. Never had an issue. I do not try and remove the wax seals, I try and remove the cork… YMMV but it seems to work for me ok.

Brodie

champagne.gif [welldone.gif] [winner.gif]