What is the Best (as in Funniest) Tasting Descriptor You've Heard?

Grease fire at a White Castle

JD

“Dolly Parton Viognier”. Used to describe an overblown/over-endowed/silicone-laden/jiggly/soft/fleshy Viognier. First used in the early '90’s by some doofus at the Taste of Vail Wine Festival to describe a JoshJensen Viognier…with all the relevant hand gestures. It brought down the house. Now a standard part of the wine lexicon.
Tom

I remember Hal Tarnoff (you might know him, Tom) back in the 1980s saying of a California chardonnay, “It’s a real Lana Turner of a wine.” Then adding, “But I guess I’m dating myself.”

I think it was Hal who also said of some bottle (a minor Southern French wine, I think): “Complex and rustic but not necessarily potable.”

James Thurber 1937

Indeed. He’s used “calpigyian” in a couple notes, which makes me giggle.

“Donaghy Estates tastes like the urine of Satan after a hefty portion of asparagus.”
– Robert Parker
30 Rock Season 1, Episode 16

One of my favorite tasters on all of CT: Doubledoc. Dude has some amazing and hilarious reviews.

Here is one of his gems:

2013 Arnot-Roberts Pinot Noir Trout Gulch Vineyard Santa Cruz Mountains
6/6/2015 - doubledoc wrote: 94 points
I took the chickenheads at school during debate class. I think that it was 5th period, but it was one of those days where the classes were swapped so it was really the last class of the day. I was talking to this stuck up girl who was in wonder of the freedom that i represented, but was wary of the potential appearance of waywardness that was commonly associated with my position.

It came on strong of cranberries and raspberry juice and zippyness and cartoons and fractals and even more acid (self references? fractal. fractals?). flowers and daisys and a meadow but not meadow soprano more like a crown of flowers on a blonde with a white sun dress on. the idea of frebreze because of the purity but not hte chemicals like eidelweiss

And it was a ocean spray commercial at a dead show and it was scarlet>fire and there was that moment where you looked at the crowd and everyone was shaking their bones at once and there was that synchronicity and you were in the matrix and then your mom found you naked in the backyard before Jon Steryn picked you up for band practice and you had a “lot of explaining to do”.

Stuff’s fire, bro.

That is awesome.

We need to drink with DoubleDoc, get him on this site!

Seriously.

You beat me to it.

Another Doubledoc gem:

2009 Donkey and Goat Syrah The Recluse Broken Leg Vineyard Anderson Valley more

9/24/2012 - doubledoc favorite Likes this wine: 92 points
Poured into decanter and started drinking immediately (just try and stop me, wifey!), but drank over the course of the evening.

Leather, horse manure, funk, brined olives, and topsoil on the nose.
Flavor is similar to taking a giant spoonful of raspberry and black cherry jam and spreading it over a steak au poive. Deep umami mouthfeel…almost soysauce or mushrooms… long finish…balance is spectacular…this is a 13 year old Chinese gymnast at the Olympics.

If guy fieri and the maitre d’ from Daniel NYC were both bitten by the same radioactive spider and also gained suits of iron and fought evil and also served wine, this would be said wine. Explosive flavor (Guy’s “flavortown”) meets old world sophistication, depth, and class (Daniel NYC).

I hate Guy Fieri, but that hair and all of the bracelets and everything. I mean that guy must know fine wine and food, right? Who could go wrong serving “Donkey sauce” to friends? But then I go to a place I see on the show by coincidence and alas, I too want to go and buy and 67 SS Camaro and drive it places and spike my hair and talk funny and perpetually wear sunglasses backwards on my head WTF? and stick my fat porcine fingers into the stockpots of innumerable diner waitresses.

Likewise, who wants to be the stuck-up, know-it-all, old guard of a maitre d’ at Daniel? But then you see the way that he gracefully moves from table to table…a joke here, a smile, noting the gentlemen when needed but never forgetting the ladies. Always, always paying attention to the ladies. And you see the way that these older upper east siders look at him with suspicion and wonder and awe and desire.

Moral of the story is that guy and mr maitre d are two of the worlds greatest poonhounds and this wine is too. Pour this wine on your next date. If you dont succeed…you’re doing it wrong.

Music: 12/29/94 Phish -David Bowie. Epic. Spaciness. Cohesion. Calls for “Timmy to check out the fire at the old mill”. LASSIE TALKS TO PEOPLE AND THEY UNDERSTAND HER.

Soiled leather thong.

Small hands, not likely to create any future discernible alteration.

Cat piss.

Soiled leather thong. Do I admit that I might know what that tastes like? No. Move along.

The missing in action Roberto had one of the greatest lines ever in a newsletter he did about 8-10 years ago -

Don’t remember the exact quote - all I remember was some kinky Southern Italian red that had the bouquet of: “…two monkeys having sex on the beach…”

Always wanted to steal that one -

If three monkeys instead, THAT would be a TN.

For me it’s, “nose of Harris Ranch, just south of Bakersfield.”

The note Justin Wells wrote, mocking another member (at the time) in his inimitable style (well, apparently it WAS imitable)

“Smells like a thrift store full of old men”

• Wife