What is this?

Seen it in every bottle of Bevan SB I’ve had also. It’s harmless.

The wine was fine. Decanted it off the material. Didn’t try tasting it, so can’t comment on taste, mouthfeel, or length of the tartrates. It was a little gross looking. Thanks everyone.

I had the same thing recently in a bottle of Wind Gap Orra. The explanation I got from another winemaker was that it was an unstable protein dropping out. Pax never replied so I have no idea what he thought of it.
IMG_6737.JPG

Wow, that kind of looks like crab meat in a bottle.

Both bottles of 13 Kick Ranch I had, had it. The wines are at least cloudy and sometimes the tartrate and lees seem to raft up. The last bottle had a raft almost the length of the bottle. It was delicious btw.

The 13 Ritchey’s were cleaner and probably the best SB I’ve ever had.

Why not call Sharon at Bevan and she will explain it. They are very nice people at Bevan.

Winemakers tend to cold stabilize whites and rose wines specifically to try to avoid the ‘look’ of this bottle. The cold stabilization process is usually pretty ‘simple’ - get the wine down to near freezing for about 10-14 days, and these suckers grow large enough to fall out of solution. You then take the wine that’s ‘clear’ and leave these behind. Or there are now ion stabilization systems that perform the task in hours. But understand this is done really for ‘cosmetic’ purposes - and really does not affect the finished wine (unless the ion system is not set up correctly).

If these are indeed tartrates, as others have pointed out, there really is no need to worry whatsoever - they are not harmful and you can probably decant off of them.

Protein hazes are certainly a different beast altogether. These still are not ‘harmful’ whatsoever - but you also cannot decant these away as they remain suspended in the bottle.

Interesting stuff. Cheers!

I am surprised that you could remove a bunch of matter from the wine with no affect on it at all. Wouldn’t you lose something in termsmof flavor, texture, viscosity, sugar/acid levels or something?